PDA

View Full Version : Live Sand For Sale!!!

Penelope
06-15-2003, 04:13 PM
$35 obo for the sand. Its about 30lb ( 2 inches in a 20G tank). Its Carib Sea Select Sand. It was seeded with bacteria, critters, etc from my main 66G tank and from about 25 lbs of live rock. Its been setup and cycled for about 8 months with a number of fish. It used to be my nano reef. There are no flat worms.

Chad
06-17-2003, 11:00 PM
I am interested in the sand, but I thought bristle worms were bad for a reef??? Maybe I read it wrong some where..

Aquattro
06-17-2003, 11:39 PM
I am interested in the sand, but I thought bristle worms were bad for a reef??? Maybe I read it wrong some where..

Bristle worms are good for a reef. They clean up after everything!! People used to think they were bad, but just said that because they didn't know what they were. If you don't want them, send them to me!!

Chad
06-17-2003, 11:51 PM
I just want to understand it. First this person says its bad. This book says "you don't want them" .. Then on here ppl say "give them too me" hard to know what is right and wrong :eek:

Oh well, Still in the learning process.

Aquattro
06-17-2003, 11:55 PM
I just want to understand it. First this person says its bad. This book says "you don't want them" .. Then on here ppl say "give them too me" hard to know what is right and wrong :eek:

Oh well, Still in the learning process.

Chad, the problem is "the book" was written some time ago. People that say they're bad read that same book. It has since been discovered that they are good, 99% of the time. You "can" get species that grow 7 feet long and eat your clams and such, but those are rare.

Chad
06-17-2003, 11:58 PM
Oh ok... no problems then.. was that the reason why everyone thought they were a pest?

Penelope
06-18-2003, 12:01 AM
I have bristle worms everywhere ... in the refugium, in the 66G reef tank, in the mantis species tank and in the 20G nano (that is where this sand is coming from)... and from everything that I've seen, they're good for your tank. Especially if you tend to overfeed a bit :rolleyes: , they clean up afterwards.

If you're interested in the sand let me know.

Jack
06-18-2003, 12:03 AM
fear of the unknown :wink:

Chad
06-18-2003, 12:07 AM
fear of the unknown :wink:

How true.. Took me 3 years to get the courage to do Salt water Tank in the first place :biggrin: . Been doing FW / Planted all this time.

Chad
06-18-2003, 12:19 AM
Is this something you would "quarantine" ??? or just throw it into the tank?

Penelope
06-18-2003, 12:31 AM
The sand or the worms? Either way you can just incorporate into your existing tank. That's what I was going to do if noone picked up the sand.

Penelope
Sand is now sold!

Quinn
Wouldn't one expect it to cause a small cycle, not to mention make a mess?

Penelope
06-18-2003, 12:36 AM
Nope..it shouldn't. I've done this before and didn't have the tank cycle.

If you add some of your tank water into the bucket that you've used to transport the sand, then use a tupperware container to scoop out some of the sand and the water, then lower the container, water and sand into your tank and pour slowly and close to the sand bed...the water might get a bit cloudy but it shouldn't be that bad and its not messy.

Does that make sense?

Bob I
06-18-2003, 12:39 AM
$35 obo for the sand. Its about 30lb ( 2 inches in a 20G tank). Its Carib Sea Select Sand. It was seeded with bacteria, critters, etc from my main 66G tank and from about 25 lbs of live rock. Its been setup and cycled for about 8 months with a number of fish. It used to be my nano reef. There are no flat worms.

I keep reading about Flatworms in Victoria, Vancouver, and Edmonton. I have never seen one. I wonder if that is because I always have Cleaner Shrimp in my tanks. :question: :question: :question:

Mak
06-18-2003, 12:59 AM
Bob, all my cleaner shrimp could have cared less about the Flattys. Now my 6-line and my Neon Dottyback that's a different story they've completly eliminated every single flatty in my tank. I have not seen a single Flatty since they were first introduced.

StirCrazy
06-18-2003, 01:00 AM
I keep reading about Flatworms in Victoria, Vancouver, and Edmonton. I have never seen one. I wonder if that is because I always have Cleaner Shrimp in my tanks. :question: :question: :question:

Nope, cleaner shrimps are commen in flat worm tanks also.. your just lucky you haven't gotten anything with them, or you have been concenious and dipped most of what you have put in your tank.

Steve