PDA

View Full Version : Most effective skimmer?

nigel
06-15-2003, 12:30 PM
Which one do you believe to be the best skimmer: counter-current air diffusers, venturi, beckett foam head, injection. ?I know they all do the same thing however I'll like to know the opinions.

StirCrazy
06-15-2003, 03:29 PM
counter-current air diffusers is the best skimmer BUT they are also the largest. the others were designed to fit in smaller places. If you have the room go with counter current, if not go becket or other alternative.

Steve

UnderWorldAquatics
06-16-2003, 11:33 PM
I use downdraft skimmers like the ETSS series

nigel
06-17-2003, 01:26 AM
You use the down draft but do you think its the most effective skimmer

stephane
06-17-2003, 05:11 AM
before to fix my self on one design I read and study everiting I could found on skimmer and get this conclusion

IMO the best and most advance skimmer is the Areofoamer 800 series

I use one that I made base on the same design for years and can't ask for more you can see pictuere of it on my web page

my ORP rarely drop under 400 and mostly alway around 410

here is a comparison http://www.thereefweb.com/skimmer_comparison.htm

UnderWorldAquatics
06-17-2003, 07:10 AM
I use the ETSS downdraft skimmers and they are very expensive so I would be an idiot if I used them and didnt think they were the most efective! I also use RK2 skimmers for large tanks and aquaculture, they are even more expensive but work very well, they have automated wash down cycles to self clean the skimmer, very handy!!! For small tanks 180gallons and less, I will use the Excaliber venturi injection skimmers if the customer wants a very good easy to use skimmer that is very reasonably priced. Basicaly you get what you pay for! A car is a car but a porsche is just another world, I feel the same way about skimmers, and I find that there are alot of chevetes parked under peoples tanks, at best hopefully it atleast works, I sure wouldnt trust it on a roadtrip(the longrun)
Im a car guy so its kinda like when people buy 4 new tires for $50.00 I sure would want to trust my life to the poor quality tires, there is a reason most tires are over $100.00 each Quality, Performance, and Function. You dont need race slicks to get the groceries but if your going to the race track you better not be running the wallmart specials...

EmilyB
06-17-2003, 07:14 AM
I love my Euroreefs. :biggrin: :cool:

Aquattro
06-17-2003, 10:53 AM
I also use RK2 skimmers for large tanks and aquaculture, they are even more expensive but work very well, they have automated wash down cycles to self clean the skimmer, very handy!!! For small tanks 180gallons and less, I will use the Excaliber venturi injection skimmers if the customer wants a very good easy to use skimmer that is very reasonably priced.

Do you have any pics of these things in action?

Doug
06-17-2003, 01:08 PM
Best overall skimmer, no doubt in my mind, a Euroreef. I am including everything in this, like ease of use.

The problem is one needs a large Euroreef and they cost bigs bucks. :eek: For just over $700, a decent size beckett, waste collector & Mak4 pump can be had.

They out preform my smaller Euroreef and are a very effective skimmer, but are more of a pain in the butt to clean & the such.

My 4in. by 6ft. counter current, running two air diffusers, is a pretty good skimmer also, but again a PITA, to service.

Hence my choice of a Euroreef.

stephane
06-17-2003, 01:11 PM
hey brad look at this one! this is a beast w2k

http://zapzap.zwf.net/albums/Album-de-stephane/acc.sized.jpg

like deepblueaquatics say they are the expensive but state of the art and a lot of commercial facilitie use them

Schuran like W2K made very good commercial unit also but $$$$$$$$$$$$ :biggrin:

StirCrazy
06-17-2003, 01:14 PM
:eek: hmmm do they make a model that is under 8 foot tall :mrgreen:

Steve

Delphinus
06-17-2003, 02:51 PM
Why would you want it any smaller? I want to park that puppy next to a 20g!! :biggrin:

Doug
06-17-2003, 04:35 PM
:drinking: That will just make it into my fishroom.

UnderWorldAquatics
06-17-2003, 05:10 PM
RK2 does make a smaller skimmer called the X-Flow I belive but I found for the smaller skimmers that the ETSS work good and the X-flow is more complicated than it needs to be. For large fishrooms and aquaculture there is nothing better than the big RK2 skimmers. I belive that the one that someone posted a picture of is a RK450 and runs 450gpm and the acrylic model shown is about $30,000.00 canadian

nigel
06-17-2003, 08:45 PM
I recently saw an aerofoamer in action and was very impressed. Pricey but obviously does a great job. I've been using counter current skimmers for years, using wood diffusers and they work but cannot be compared to the aerofoamer. I'll be changing soon .

stephane
06-19-2003, 03:14 AM
here is my DIY version of it http://zapzap.zwf.net/albums/Album-de-stephane/abg.jpg

saltcreep
06-19-2003, 03:55 AM
RK2 is where it's at. I've seen that in action...sweet. They make an even larger one. I can't wait for years end to add an RK-100 to our systems. I'm saving my pennies.

nigel
06-22-2003, 12:16 AM
Stephane thats one impressive gallery, The skimmer is impressive, I also like the ballast box; good thinking

StirCrazy
06-22-2003, 12:35 AM
Stephane, Can you put english subtitles on your pics for use "english pig dogs" :mrgreen:

I saw a company that was selling thoes tool box ballast boxs online.. did you buy that (if so was it a good price) or did you copy the idea? kinda neet either way hehe

Steve

Buccaneer
06-22-2003, 05:28 AM
Hey Stephane ... really like that auto-topoff float ... looks reliable ... what triggers the pump to top off the water ? ... got any more pics or a good explanation of what you did ? ... TIA

Cheers

stephane
06-25-2003, 05:08 AM
No Steve

I was at the hardware store lookking for a metal box to put my 3 ballast when I saw the tool box 15$ cant be better :mrgreen:

Rasta

the top off is a dishwasher selenoid so they are bullet pproff and the float valve is made with a mercury swicht taken from and old washing machine cover

it is almost 100% reliable but the drawback is you have 120v. in the water for the float swich so you beter seal everiting well