PDA

View Full Version : Ill ocellaris?

leezard
03-24-2009, 12:36 PM
Woke up this morning and turned the fish lights on, and our female ocellaris (AKA "Ted") was having... buoyancy issues? She kept floating to her side and I was sure we were coming home to a dead fishy after work today. She seems fine and dandy, now -- swimming normally, eating, playing in the water flows. I'm a little confused (and worried. I don't think I"ve ever worried about a fish before, truthfully).

I did a 10% water change yesterday, and the only thing that seems out of place is my nitrates, which is sitting at about 10 ppm -- not much lower than yesterday before the water change.

The only other thing I can think of is possibly the skimmer stressed her out? It's the Tunze Nano Skimmer (on a 20 g) -- and yes, I'm aware that it's had bad reviews. We've had it running, but silly me was playing with the wrong adjustment so it didn't actually start skimming until last night.

Any ideas? Could she actually be dying, or does she just need a dose of "caffeine" in the morning like I do?

:D

(Yes, I'm kidding about the caffeine..... well, not my dosage..... you know.:question:)

sitandwatch
03-24-2009, 03:06 PM
I have read that they sleep like that sometimes on there sides? So "Ted" might have just been sleeping?

leezard
03-24-2009, 03:24 PM
So "Ted" might have just been sleeping?

That's what I'm hoping. She seemed great, happy, alert when we left....

Maybe I'll put a blanket and pillow in there for her, next!

jsmth321
03-24-2009, 08:53 PM
When the light are off, mine goes to the top of the tank to a corner and stays on its side til the lights come on.

First time I thought it was dying.

MMAX
03-24-2009, 11:08 PM
Mine do the exact same thing. Nothing to worry about I'd say.