PDA

View Full Version : ick

arnald
03-24-2009, 03:30 AM
my tank has been empty for 1 week. how long before all the ick does off?

subman
03-24-2009, 03:34 AM
How much for the ick?

;)

Lance
03-24-2009, 03:48 AM
I think you may have a little trouble finding a buyer.

Lance
03-24-2009, 04:38 AM
I think you may have a little trouble finding a buyer.

Just kidding ya! The experts say 6 weeks minimun; 8 weeks recommended.

GreenSpottedPuffer
03-24-2009, 05:36 AM
Man if anyone needs some ich I have lots and you can take it for free if you can get it off my Hippo tang. I mean he has "achilles" ich going on right now. Lots.

eli@fijireefrock.com
03-24-2009, 05:37 AM
i will go out of my way and drive that far how much for a tank full of ick
just kidding:lol:

seriosly give it no less than 6 wks and get yourself a hospital tank for sick fish and for holding new ones.

edikpok
03-24-2009, 05:38 AM
you can raise the temp in the tank to about 84-85. this will make the ick cycle much faster. why don't you treat the tank with some anti-ick stuff? you can buy the organic one and then you don't need to worry for copper presence....

hey elias - catch a flight!!! you don't want to miss this great deal! the guy is offering us some ick for FREE! (I hope :) )

GreenSpottedPuffer
03-24-2009, 05:55 AM
you can raise the temp in the tank to about 84-85. this will make the ick cycle much faster. why don't you treat the tank with some anti-ick stuff? you can buy the organic one and then you don't need to worry for copper presence....

hey elias - catch a flight!!! you don't want to miss this great deal! the guy is offering us some ick for FREE! (I hope :) )

Im not sure if you were suggesting this to me or not but...

I have dealt with ich for along time and as long as the fish do not scratch or show signs of stress, I don't treat for it. I used to but I have lost way too many fish in QT over the years. My fish are fine and I was kind of just exaggerating as a joke about the Hippo. He has had ich on and off forever and doesn't seem to care.

Raising the temp will speed up the life cycle but I warn that if you have an sps reef as I do, you don't want to start messing with temperature fluctuations and especially letting your tank get to 85! My tank stays between 79.5-80.5 everyday and a spike to 85 could do some serious damage :(

My other problem with the temperature spike is that the higher it goes the lower dissolved oxygen drops. If your fish are already stressed, this can stress them more. If they have ich in their gills (often do) then breathing can get more difficult and again the temp. spike doesn't feel too good.

lobsterboy
03-24-2009, 05:57 AM
i thought this was buy and sell? there have been some crazy posts lately,

edikpok
03-24-2009, 06:01 AM
I was actually offering to the guy who posted the thread....

As for the oxygen, when I had to treat against ick, I hooked up an oxygen pump to my tank and did not raise the temp myself (to not stress the fish too much , as you mentioned...).

And according to literature, ick starts in the gills, so I agree with you that it is difenetly there!

GreenSpottedPuffer
03-24-2009, 07:48 AM
i thought this was buy and sell? there have been some crazy posts lately,

Ya it will get moved eventually.

I was actually offering to the guy who posted the thread....

As for the oxygen, when I had to treat against ick, I hooked up an oxygen pump to my tank and did not raise the temp myself (to not stress the fish too much , as you mentioned...).

And according to literature, ick starts in the gills, so I agree with you that it is difenetly there!

Yeah if I remember correctly the gills are the easiest tissue for ich to attack and do usually start there. I have heard that quite often this is also where the ich will linger even after it seems a fish is ich free.

arnald
03-24-2009, 05:51 PM
this is the highest quality ick you can find and i can't just give it away for free. any reasonable offers will be considered.hahahah. \I guess i will just have to wait it out and i don't wanna mess around with the temp cause it is a reef and it's full of corals.

GreenSpottedPuffer
03-24-2009, 05:59 PM
this is the highest quality ick you can find and i can't just give it away for free. any reasonable offers will be considered.hahahah. \I guess i will just have to wait it out and i don't wanna mess around with the temp cause it is a reef and it's full of corals.

Maybe we can trade some ich then? :lol:

I would just wait it out and in this case not mess with the temp. In a FOWLR, you can but not so much a reef.

muck
03-24-2009, 09:47 PM
*** moved from Buy/Sell Forum ***