View Full Version : The Tang Family

dkcrx
03-24-2009, 12:47 AM
A couple of pics. Can you find all 12?

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m267/dkcrx/DSC_0519.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m267/dkcrx/DSC_0515.jpg

parkinsn
03-24-2009, 12:54 AM
Sure can!! Does your Atlantic Blue, or should i say yellow, always hang out with your Yellow tangs like that? What size is that tank it looks really nice :biggrin:

dkcrx
03-24-2009, 12:59 AM
Sure can!! Does your Atlantic Blue, or should i say yellow, always hang out with your Yellow tangs like that? What size is that tank it looks really nice :biggrin:

Only some times, just got lucky and had the camera out, it's a 300Gal
4X5ft

fishoholic
03-24-2009, 01:07 AM
Wow 12 tangs in a 300g, that's a lot, and I always thought my 7 tangs in my 230g was really pushing it. It seems like they all get along though and look healthy, and to me that's the important part.

GreenSpottedPuffer
03-24-2009, 02:09 AM
Very nice! Good looking fish.

Wow 12 tangs in a 300g, that's a lot, and I always thought my 7 tangs in my 230g was really pushing it. It seems like they all get along though, and to me that's the important part.

Whats the dimensions of your 230? Are yours getting along well? What species?

Sorry off topic but I am looking for options for my tank. I think if I were to try to add more tangs (I have 3) to my 200 (72"x30") that I will add a few at once this time. I tried a Powder Brown not too long ago and that didn't go well. I have been told by a few people to try 5 or 6 instead of 4 to help with aggression. Don't really want so many though. We'll see...

Just looking for advice from both if you since you guys seem to be having success :)

Marlin65
03-24-2009, 02:17 AM
Oh my don't tell anyone you have less than 6' long you will get flamed.
Love you dimensions and your tank looks great my two cents.

GreenSpottedPuffer
03-24-2009, 02:22 AM
Oh my don't tell anyone you have less than 6' long you will get flamed.

:violin:

Marlin65
03-24-2009, 02:26 AM
I love you too. Peace okay.:wink:

es355lucille
03-24-2009, 02:31 AM
Beautiful family you have there! So whats the secret to keeping the peace.....did you get the majority of them when they were smaller? or add a couple at a time? Please let us know as I have seen quite a few people that have had problems adding one fish at a time into a mature group like this.

Thanks
Brad

A couple of pics. Can you find all 12?

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m267/dkcrx/DSC_0519.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m267/dkcrx/DSC_0515.jpg

fishoholic
03-24-2009, 02:34 AM

Sorry off topic but I am looking for options for my tank. I think if I were to try to add more tangs (I have 3) to my 200 (72"x30") that I will add a few at once this time. I tried a Powder Brown not too long ago and that didn't go well. I have been told by a few people to try 5 or 6 instead of 4 to help with aggression. Don't really want so many though. We'll see...

Just looking for advice from both if you since you guys seem to be having success :)

My 230g is 6 feet long, 2 feet wide and 3 feet high. None to very little aggression between my tangs. So are you ready for the list...ok here goes:

(all sizes are approx. guesses of how big they are right now)

Salfin tang -9/10"

Sohal tang -7/8"

Naso tang - 7/8"

Regal/Hippo - 7/8"

Valmingi - 5-6"

Yellow tang - 5"

Clown tang - 4"

There are pictures of all of them in my 230g reef pic.'s in my signature. The Salfin, Naso, Yellow, and Regal were added all together to the 230g from my 120g at the same time in Jan 2008. The Clown tang was added around March 2008, the Sohal was added Aug. 2008 and the Valmingi was added Dec. 2008 as a very small 1-2" tang, he's not so small anymore :wink: but I knew that he'd grow fast. They are all healthy, fat and well fed.

dkcrx
03-24-2009, 02:38 AM

Thats how I got my count up, last go I added 4 new guys and they all got allong swimingly, now I can add 1 at a time and no probs.

GreenSpottedPuffer
03-24-2009, 02:43 AM
Thats how I got my count up, last go I added 4 new guys and they all got allong swimingly, now I can add 1 at a time and no probs.

Cool thanks guys...if I end up having the guts to try it, I may add a few at once next time. Not sure yet though. I do have a friend with a large Sailfin and I was debating adopting it since my tank is better suited for its size. How is your Sailfin with the Yellows?

Love your tank!

Madreefer
03-24-2009, 02:44 AM
Your reef tank is awesome! I wish I could accomplish that. Looks like a really busy tank.

dkcrx
03-24-2009, 02:44 AM
Beautiful family you have there! So whats the secret to keeping the peace.....did you get the majority of them when they were smaller? or add a couple at a time? Please let us know as I have seen quite a few people that have had problems adding one fish at a time into a mature group like this.

Thanks
Brad

The adding of a few at a time works well when you have a few already but time seems to be the most important, I have had the 5 bigger ones for 7-8 years and since the tank upgrade last year I traded 2 of the old crew and have added all the smaller ones. Seems once you pass the 5-7 mark they all school together, loosing the color Prejudice. Who would of thought raceism existed in the reef lol.

dkcrx
03-24-2009, 02:46 AM
Your reef tank is awesome! I wish I could accomplish that. Looks like a really busy tank.

Thanks, kinda 10 years in the makeing.

untamed
03-24-2009, 04:45 AM
Hee...hee.. you should have come by for a visit so you can see what that vlamingi is going to look like in 1 year. You might have changed your mind...

fishoholic
03-24-2009, 05:09 AM
Hee...hee.. you should have come by for a visit so you can see what that vlamingi is going to look like in 1 year. You might have changed your mind...

No his size doesn't bug me, my friend has a 12" one in his tank, that is beautiful, and that is what made us want one in the first place. However that being said, I've noticed that as he gets bigger he seems to stir up the other tangs every now and then. They sometimes will chase each other for a few seconds like they are in some sort of frenzy but then they all settle down quickly and act like nothing happened, and it's only every now and then (not to often) that they do this :noidea: no one seems to get really hurt or anything so I guess they'll be ok.

my2rotties
03-24-2009, 05:23 AM
Just throw in some food to redirect the energy. Tangs are cranker then our men when they are hungry:lol:

No his size doesn't bug me, my friend has a 12" one in his tank, that is beautiful, and that is what made us want one in the first place. However that being said, I've noticed that as he gets bigger he seems to stir up the other tangs every now and then. They sometimes will chase each other for a few seconds like they are in some sort of frenzy but then they all settle down quickly and act like nothing happened, and it's only every now and then (not to often) that they do this :noidea: no one seems to get really hurt or anything so I guess they'll be ok.

GreenSpottedPuffer
03-24-2009, 05:26 AM

Mine used to do this until I basically started making food available almost all day long. Now they are fine and barely ever fight. Although my Hippo was out for my Powder Brown no matter what I did.

fishoholic
03-24-2009, 05:35 AM
Mine used to do this until I basically started making food available almost all day long. Now they are fine and barely ever fight. Although my Hippo was out for my Powder Brown no matter what I did.

It only lasted for about 4 seconds and it was the first time I saw them all chasing each other, every once in awhile one will chase after a different one, but it's not usually most of them all at once. Come to think of it, it probably was provoked by us moving a fair sized rock with a hammer coral on it.

GreenSpottedPuffer
03-24-2009, 05:44 AM
It only lasted for about 4 seconds and it was the first time I saw them all chasing each other, every once in awhile one will chase after a different one, but it's not usually most of them all at once. Come to think of it, it probably was provoked by us moving a fair sized rock with a hammer coral on it.

How old are the pics in your slideshow? I like your tank :)

It really makes me want more tangs but I still don't know if it would be right for my tank. I am going to take the Sailfin from my friend but I think stop there. My tank is a bit smaller than yours. Although bigger footprint. 72"x30".

One of my other problems though is that I don't like a lot of LR. I worry about that with tangs since they need places to sleep at night.

brickwood
03-24-2009, 06:04 AM
Hey. Nice tank dude. Do you use an RO/DI?

my2rotties
03-24-2009, 03:54 PM
It is truly awesome to see that tangs can all be kept together in a large well established system with an experienced keeper... Something positive to see.

digital-audiophile
03-24-2009, 04:06 PM
Cool to see a little school of yellow tangs.

You must have one hell of a busy skimmer to take care of all that tang poop.

dkcrx
03-24-2009, 04:15 PM
Hey. Nice tank dude. Do you use an RO/DI?

Nope tap water for last 10 years with prime, I have verry clean ( low TDS water in Mission ) When I was in Abbotsford I had problems with water quality, had to be sure to collect tap water on sunny days, seemed to work.

dkcrx
03-24-2009, 04:17 PM
Cool to see a little school of yellow tangs.

You must have one hell of a busy skimmer to take care of all that tang poop.

Bubble King SM250, and yes I can fill it with near black sludge in 3-4 days

fishoholic
03-24-2009, 04:58 PM
How old are the pics in your slideshow? I like your tank :)

It really makes me want more tangs but I still don't know if it would be right for my tank. I am going to take the Sailfin from my friend but I think stop there. My tank is a bit smaller than yours. Although bigger footprint. 72"x30".

One of my other problems though is that I don't like a lot of LR. I worry about that with tangs since they need places to sleep at night.

Most of them are from Jan 2009.

GreenSpottedPuffer
03-24-2009, 05:15 PM
Anymore pics? :)

Do you have a full tank shot?

dkcrx
03-24-2009, 06:07 PM
Anymore pics? :)

Do you have a full tank shot?

http://canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48057
mine is the 5th post. I'll take a new one later

GreenSpottedPuffer
03-24-2009, 06:16 PM
http://canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48057
mine is the 5th post. I'll take a new one later

Cool. Looks great!

What other fish do you have in there?

I think I see a Bluethroat.

dkcrx
03-24-2009, 06:48 PM
Cool. Looks great!

What other fish do you have in there?

I think I see a Bluethroat.

Sargassum trigger, had two but one jumped last week.
Six line wrass
clown wrass
flasher wrass
Mandarin
3 clowns
purple fire fish
Copper band
bi-colour blenni
and a few that I cant rember what they are I just thought they looked cool.

GreenSpottedPuffer
03-24-2009, 09:45 PM
Sargassum trigger, had two but one jumped last week.
Six line wrass
clown wrass
flasher wrass
Mandarin
3 clowns
purple fire fish
Copper band
bi-colour blenni
and a few that I cant rember what they are I just thought they looked cool.

Oh ok, so no Blue Throat...thats a Sargassum I see.