PDA

View Full Version : HELP-LTA looks very sick!

Koresample
03-23-2009, 06:14 PM
I was cleaning my tank yesterday (the outside and rim) of salt accumulations and a piece of dried salt about 1 cm square and about 1mm thick fell in my tank...right onto my LTA that's been hiding in the back! I woke up this morning and this blob of dead looking stuff was there. It looks like some of his tentacles are necrotic or something? Has anyone ever seen this before? Any suggestions? He is giving me HUGE ulcers as every day its something new with him. You can see the blob in this photo..

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa3/mikeymotorcycle/anemonecloseup.jpg

Marlin65
03-23-2009, 07:22 PM
What is you SG at nems don't do well under 1.024

Koresample
03-23-2009, 09:03 PM
SG is 1.024 as measured with a refractometer and that has been pretty stable for the past 2 months.

What ever it is seems to be almost detached from the rest of it now, its just hanging by a thread. My coral banded shrimp was having a go at it (the detaching piece) but has since buggered off and left it alone. I cant reach it to remove it, so I'll just have to keep an eye out and net it when it finally detaches. The rest of the nem is somewhat closed up, but doesn't look too much different. I feed it small pieces of fresh shimp as well as mysis and pieces of whole fresh shrimp and Nutra Complete liquid feed.

urbanhellfire
03-23-2009, 10:05 PM
are you missing any fish?

Koresample
03-23-2009, 11:17 PM
nope, and now its finally separated from the rest of it and is lying on some rock at the bottom. It almost looks alive 'cause it looks like its moving, but that could also be the current. What do these things look like when they split? Is that what this could be? I'll post another picture of the 'offspring'.

dkcrx
03-24-2009, 01:03 AM
any division would look just like the mother only smaller. Every once in a while they will split in half and you wont be able to tell them apart

Koresample
03-24-2009, 02:23 AM
Well I went to the gym with plans to remove whatever this thing was when i came back, and it looked like it was pulsing and now seems to have moved and attached itself to a rock! Does anyone have a pic of their freshly split nem?

Carmen
03-24-2009, 03:19 AM
My splitting bubbletipNem
SPLITTING
http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r474/ctash_album/Anemonesplitting050.jpg
http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r474/ctash_album/Anemonesplitting027.jpg
JUST AFTER SPLIT
http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r474/ctash_album/Isaac4thbirthday011.jpg

Koresample
03-24-2009, 03:57 AM
thanks for the pics...do they ever just have a piece die off, or possibly mine has split, but the piece that came off was only about 1/20th the size of the 'mother'. I'll see what it looks like tomorrow before i head to work and try and post another pic 9or remove it from the tank if its toast)

Madreefer
03-25-2009, 07:47 PM
thanks for the pics...do they ever just have a piece die off, or possibly mine has split, but the piece that came off was only about 1/20th the size of the 'mother'. I'll see what it looks like tomorrow before i head to work and try and post another pic 9or remove it from the tank if its toast)

Any updates? This exact thing happened to me last night. The anemone totally closed up and the clowns were freaking out trying to help it, today it is back to normal thank god.

Koresample
03-26-2009, 10:23 PM
Well, now when i was away, it moved back to the front of the tank (poked through some opening in the rocks and actually pushed some rock that fell on my Colt Coral :sad:) It ate last night and has been opened today, but still looks kind of sickly. I have a feeling the piece of salt that fell on it must have messed it up. Anyways, it looks happy where it is now, and it is MUCH smaller than it was before. I am going to relocate my Colt because the LTA is in a position to stin it now...sigh. The outer area where his tentacles are still looks a little green in the area the piece came off of, but much better than it did a few days ago. I will take some new pics and post them here tomorrow. I am going to Mexico in a week to do some sightseeing and diving in Cozumel (ahhh, real reef!) and when i get back, i will pick up another clown to (hopefully) host him.