PDA

View Full Version : Detaching a clam

Treebeard
03-23-2009, 02:25 PM
I have a small clam that I would like to relocate but it has a firm grip on the rock it is sitting on. Any suggestions on how to get it to let go?

Marlin65
03-23-2009, 03:38 PM
Slide a razor blade under it to cut the treads carefully.

parkinsn
03-23-2009, 03:48 PM
I used a scaple, as i found it smaller and more percise than a razor to cut the foot on one and the other i used a chisel to chip the rock that it was attached to and it eventually dropped the rock chip.

High tide
03-23-2009, 04:30 PM
Slide a razor blade under it to cut the treads carefully.

Yes, just make sure you cut close to the rock not the clam.

Treebeard
03-23-2009, 04:32 PM
Hmmm, sounds dangerous. The clam is sitting on a rough piece of rock and I am not sure if I can get really close to the rock.

Delphinus
03-23-2009, 04:36 PM
It is a somewhat risky endeavour if you ask me. Even if you cut close to the rock, there's always a chance that the pulling on the byssal gland creates some internal injuries. I tried to remove one clam from a large rock when I shutdown my 75g, I followed the online advice of cutting close to the rock and all that, and it's interesting to note that of the 12 clams I moved, it's the only one clam that didn't survive the transition and it's the only one that I tried removing from its base rock. If it really has to be moved maybe move the rock it's on. The annoying thing is, or the icing on the cake if you will, is that if you do this, there's a solid chance it will let go on its own after a week or so and then you can move the rock back to where it came from initially.

Madreefer
03-23-2009, 04:40 PM
Would it work if you tried to make it uncomfortable for the clam? Like maybe by putting a powerhead near it?

Treebeard
03-23-2009, 04:44 PM
That might be worth a try.

Would it work if you tried to make it uncomfortable for the clam? Like maybe by putting a powerhead near it?

parkinsn
03-23-2009, 04:51 PM

I also tryed this as well i tryed flipping the rock over for a few days, thinking that with no light he would detach itself and try to find a better spot but it never did.

michika
03-23-2009, 06:30 PM

Wouldn't work. The clam will just keep its mantle more retracted, or it will just eventually get used to it.

The best options are 1) cutting the threads, although as mentioned it is risky, 2) moving the whole rock, or 3) cutting the rock and moving the clam + the rock chip.

Good luck!

VFX
03-23-2009, 06:44 PM
When I moved my clams, I just tilted the rock so that the clam was sorta hanging by it's foot & let gravity work it's way on the clam. Within a day or so the clam just let go & fell the short 1" or so onto the sand bed.

You may have to re-tilt the rock a couple of times as the clams moves around trying to see if it can get comfortable.

I only ever tried moving 2 of my clams & it worked both times without injuring them.

Obviously make sure they don't have too far to fall!