PDA

View Full Version : Attempt at breeding cardinal tetras

trilinearmipmap
06-15-2003, 03:07 AM
Tonight will be a trial at breeding my cardinal tetras.

The plan was the fish were conditioned the past 2 weeks on frozen food and tofu (no live food available to me).

The 10 gallon aquarium was filled with soft acid water, pH 6 or less (inaccurate A-P ph test kit), kH about 0.5 to 1.0

10cc of "blackwater extract" added to the tank.

A spawing grid made from eggcrate with bridal-veil netting covers the bottom of the tank. A small Java fern rests on top of the spawning grid.

The pair is being drip-acclimated to the acidic water over a 2-hour time period, then they will be left in the tank tonight.

A cardboard box covers the tank to keep it dark.

All of this is based on advice found on the internet. I will keep up with the spawning attempt until I succeed.

StirCrazy
06-15-2003, 03:09 AM
I have lemmon tetra's breading in my tank.. I get a couple new babies every month.. my secrete was to forget about the tank for a month LOL

Steve

pinkpearl
04-02-2004, 11:37 PM
Trilinearmipmap,
tofu for cardinal food? Can you give me more details? I've never heard of it before...
BTW, I have around 200 cardinals in my 230g tank and they are looking fantastic! (you may remember me - Robin from PG) :biggrin:

trilinearmipmap
04-03-2004, 12:23 AM
Robin,

Soft tofu I the brand name I forget but they sell it in Safeway. Just the regular unflavoured soft tofu.

I also have grindal cultures and wingless fruit fly cultures, cardinals love grindal worms and I recommend live cultures, I'll send you some if you want.

Can you post a pic of your cardinal tank?

Also let me know if you need any more plants Robin, here is my current plant list:

Limnophila sessiliflora
Hygrophila corymbosa "Stricta"
Shinnersia rivularis
Java Moss
Java Fern
Jave Fern "Windelov"
Sagittaria subulata
Bacopa caroliniana
Anubias barteri "Nana"
Nymphaea lotus "Zenkeri"
Micranthemum umbrosum
Rotala indica
Rotala macrandra
Ludwigia sp. "Cuba"
Hygrophila polysperma "Rosanvarig"
Echinodorus tenellus
Pellia
Cryptocoryne balansae
Cryptocoryne unknown sp. "Brown"

Anway let me know if you want any plants or live food cultures for cash or trade.

Also what does a 200 gallon bucket of Salt go for in P.G., I can get it for 50 bucks at J & L but it's expensive to ship up here.

pinkpearl
04-03-2004, 03:03 AM
Hey tri, sent you a PM and yes I would be interested in some live cultures. Loved the plants you sent me earlier, and I may try some of your more fragile ones after my tank gets a little more settled. I'll post some pics sometime this weekend.