PDA

View Full Version : Hidden Tunze Stream

Dez
03-22-2009, 11:02 PM
Anybody ever hide a Tunze stream on the exterior of the tank with an extra overflow box on the outside of the tank? would that work to have an external overflow box with just a hole for the stream and an overflow? The sole purpose of this box would be so that the stream would not be in the display area of the tank. Let me know. Thanks so much.

Dez
03-22-2009, 11:09 PM
Here is a sketch of what I mean.

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_0188.jpg?t=1237763213

fkshiu
03-22-2009, 11:15 PM
People have incorporate Streams within false acrylic walls - usually as part of a side to side overflow. Having a Stream within tank is a lot easier than having to build a whole external overflow on the outside of the tank. One thing you have to be mindful of is how quickly the Stream can pump a sealed overflow area dry

Aquattro
03-22-2009, 11:17 PM
Exactly, your overflow weir into the box will need to be able to keep up, and for that, it will need to be quite large.

Delphinus
03-22-2009, 11:18 PM
I don't see why it wouldn't work, but I have to ask, why not consider a Vortech instead? It will be a lot more versatile for more or less the same thing.

Dez
03-22-2009, 11:20 PM
I'm trying to go for the cleanest look in the display area....even with the vortex, you see half a dome stuck on the side of the tank. This is why I'm asking if anyone has done this and how large the actual compartment has to be for the overflow to "keep up" with a stream. Thanks for the comments so far.

Aquattro
03-22-2009, 11:22 PM
I think RC has an overflow calculator, use it to determine what size overflow you need to cover the flow of the stream + 15%.

Another alternative is drill the tank for closed loop...

Boomboy
03-22-2009, 11:31 PM
the CL is a good point, one because it looks like you already have to drill a hole for the stream, and 2 you wouldnt have to worry about the space being taken up from the overflow box.

Delphinus
03-22-2009, 11:36 PM
Not trying to dissuade you from your idea but it just seems rather limiting to me. What about just using a Stream rock perhaps? Same idea that you're hiding the pump but you have the ability to point it in a different direction down the road..

GreenSpottedPuffer
03-23-2009, 12:04 AM
Not trying to dissuade you from your idea but it just seems rather limiting to me. What about just using a Stream rock perhaps? Same idea that you're hiding the pump but you have the ability to point it in a different direction down the road..

I agree.

The other way to do it is to create such a beautiful aquascape and coralscape that no one will ever notice the powerheads. I prefer this myself.

Check out some of the TOTM on RC or here and you will realize some have many powerheads in them but you really never notice unless you purposely look. Instead you really just notice all the livestock.

Just my thinking on the whole thing...

wickedfrags
03-23-2009, 12:11 AM
If you intend on keeping a SPS dominant tank, at some point you will require high-flow powerheads that can be moved. SPS (and any coral for that matter) will eventually grow and obtruct flow, moving a powerhead to keep the flow effective is a good idea.

While somewhat unsightly you get use to them, and realistically most poeple will not even notice them. A closed loop is also a good option, however they generally provide less options to redirect flow as your tank evolves, or as you change the system. I have both a closed loop and 2 Tunze 6100's - each serve a specific purpose and I am happy with each of them.

fkshiu
03-23-2009, 03:41 AM
Tony, Justin and Dave are all correct. It's amazing how the brain selectively ignores a lot of things when you're looking at a reef tank (or anything else for that matter). Not that my tank is anywhere close to an RC TOTM, but can you guess which Tunze pumps I have in there?

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c197/fkshiu/IMG_0430.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c197/fkshiu/FullReef.jpg

Answer: There's a 6055 on the left side; a 6100 on the right along with a big honkin' Wavebox - are they very noticeable to you?

GreenSpottedPuffer
03-23-2009, 04:34 AM
Tony, Justin and Dave are all correct. It's amazing how the brain selectively ignores a lot of things when you're looking at a reef tank (or anything else for that matter). Not that my tank is anywhere close to an RC TOTM, but can you guess which Tunze pumps I have in there?

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c197/fkshiu/IMG_0430.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c197/fkshiu/FullReef.jpg

Answer: There's a 6055 on the left side; a 6100 on the right along with a big honkin' Wavebox - are they very noticeable to you?

Jeez Franklin, your Figi Leather has like tripled in size since I was there last! Tank looks great.

Delphinus
03-23-2009, 04:45 AM
... I can't even see the wavebox even though you've said where it is. :redface:

Off topic a little (sorry Dez!), you have to post some topdowns of that monster clam sometime!!! :cool:

mark
03-23-2009, 04:49 AM
fkshiu, I'll give you RC TOTM vote.

High tide
03-23-2009, 04:09 PM
I like that idea, personally! I have been thinking of doing the same...an external wavebox! I like this design because you still get the flow only a tunze can provide (Vortechs can't replicate) and there is nothing taking up space in your tank. As long as the box is large enough and has a wave interval, it won't run dry. I don't think you should be concerned about moving your flow if it is properly placed in the first place, if coral growth is impeding flow....time to frag or upgrade the size of your Tunze.

Delphinus
03-23-2009, 04:30 PM
This wouldn't be an external wavebox. A wavebox has to be enclosed so that the only way water gets in or out is through the pump. An external wavebox is a great idea because it doesn't really matter where you put it, the idea is you're just displacing water in and out of the tank.

An external stream just because we don't like the looks of them isn't the same beast at all. The whole advantage a Stream has over a Vortech is that you can aim the Stream. Otherwise the Vortech wins out in terms of controllability, and in fact they are so controllable that for some people they trump the aimability of Streams. If you think they cannot replicate the flow of a Stream then I think something is wrong with the way it's setup. So to me this idea is saying, well, I like the Tunze better but I will never ever ever want to change the way it's pointed or where it's physically located. And sure, you could size it up but sometimes it's not a volume issue but a location issue. AND you're taking a chance that the future of Stream design will always be compatible with the size of hole you've got. Say for example you want to sell the tank in a couple of years, I myself wouldn't want to buy the tank if I had to look for 3 or 4 year old Streams to use for them because the current design has changed. Or looking at having to patch the hole or something.

Let's be clear, the idea will work just fine but it just seems strange to me to go to this extra effort to deliberately limit your future options with it just so you can say it looks a little better.

Pescador
03-23-2009, 04:43 PM
Stream rocks are pretty unobtrusive, there's a big softy growing on the one on the left.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/Pescador58/Reef%20Tank/IMG_2136.jpg

High tide
03-23-2009, 04:52 PM
This wouldn't be an external wavebox. A wavebox has to be enclosed so that the only way water gets in or out is through the pump. An external wavebox is a great idea because it doesn't really matter where you put it, the idea is you're just displacing water in and out of the tank.

An external stream just because we don't like the looks of them isn't the same beast at all. The whole advantage a Stream has over a Vortech is that you can aim the Stream. Otherwise the Vortech wins out in terms of controllability, and in fact they are so controllable that for some people they trump the aimability of Streams. If you think they cannot replicate the flow of a Stream then I think something is wrong with the way it's setup. So to me this idea is saying, well, I like the Tunze better but I will never ever ever want to change the way it's pointed or where it's physically located. And sure, you could size it up but sometimes it's not a volume issue but a location issue. AND you're taking a chance that the future of Stream design will always be compatible with the size of hole you've got. Say for example you want to sell the tank in a couple of years, I myself wouldn't want to buy the tank if I had to look for 3 or 4 year old Streams to use for them because the current design has changed. Or looking at having to patch the hole or something.

Let's be clear, the idea will work just fine but it just seems strange to me to go to this extra effort to deliberately limit your future options with it just so you can say it looks a little better.

Yes, not quite an external wavebox...I guess I should have said the overflow would be pointless and a logistical nightmare...other than that, an external wavebox. They are not sealed units though and are open to breathe.

Wave boxes do provide laminar flow as well as wave action, if you want the most out of your WB you place it where the flow can be utilized as well.

Tunze pumps are more powerful(comparing gph) and go further than Vortech pumps, in my opinion a superior pump.

The style of the Stream has changed but the diameter of the outflow hasn't, so that is a mute point.

Delphinus
03-23-2009, 05:01 PM
Well, they're not sealed per se, just intended to be open to air. But water does get in through the slatted bottom and so on. The main idea is you have to empty the box and let it refill, but there's no "overflow" into the box. Good to know the hole size hasn't changed with the next gens. But it sort of sounds like we're in agreement here, so it's a "moot" (;)) point. I think an external wavebox is a GREAT idea. I think an external Stream though, ie. not wavebox, is a .. not so great idea. :lol: But it would work, just in a "not the most bang for the buck" kind of way. If that makes any sense. :)

Dez
03-23-2009, 05:54 PM
Hmmm....I didn't even know that a stream rock even existed until now. That might be a great option for me. Thanks for the advice. This will really help me out.

mr_alberta
03-23-2009, 08:30 PM
You should be able to get Tunze Rocks for pretty cheap now since I don't think they work with the newly redesigned Tunze streams.

Pescador
03-23-2009, 08:46 PM
Stream rocks come with an adapter ring now that will fit every kind of stream pump except for the nano. - from the Tunze (http://www.tunze.com/149.html?&L=1&C=CA&user_tunzeprod_pi1[predid]=-infoxunter025) site.