PDA

View Full Version : Tunze Nano Wavebox or VorTech MP20?

Myka
03-22-2009, 08:51 PM
I can't decide!!! I *LOVE* waveboxes. Period! I really love the wave action they give LPS corals. So...I'm tossing around the idea of putting one in my 40g breeder when I set it up. Is anyone using the Nano wavebox on a 3' tank? I imagine the waves would be fairly quick.

Or I'm think about using the VorTech MP20, or a closed loop with a OM Squirt, or, or, or...

Right now the Wavebox is winning. I would really like to hear from people who have one on a 3' tank. :D

Pazil
03-22-2009, 09:10 PM
I am using one on my 36x36x27 tank. Here is a poor quality video of it in action

http://s432.photobucket.com/albums/qq43/ljmuller/?action=view&current=MVI_3461.flv

I love it. In the video the overflow is very loud but after some adjusting to the overflow pipe height it is now silent.

Cheers
Lawrence

Myka
03-22-2009, 09:33 PM
Ooooo, nice Percs! :D

Thanks for the video! It is definately a quick wave...but it sure looks great! I like how it creates a lot of flow, but it is such a gentle flow that it really seems quite ideal for LPS corals. :)

Jack
03-22-2009, 10:30 PM
YouTube has lots of Nano Wavebox videos.

Myka
03-23-2009, 05:58 AM
Hey Jack! Ever think of putting one on your 40 breeder? What do you have for flow in yours?

Jack
03-23-2009, 01:35 PM
No, I had a wavebox on my 200 gal and thought it was okay - I don't like how every soft/lps coral in the tank moves exactly the same way at the same time. It's looks and works good for SPS though - just looks silly with soft corals all going left right left right left right IMO.

I've got a Nanostream 6025 on the breeder and the Nanocleaner puts out another 200gph - that's it.

fishytime
03-23-2009, 03:38 PM
No, I had a wavebox on my 200 gal and thought it was okay - I don't like how every soft/lps coral in the tank moves exactly the same way at the same time. It's looks and works good for SPS though - just looks silly with soft corals all going left right left right left right IMO.

Kinda like the floor at a rock concert?

banditpowdercoat
03-23-2009, 03:47 PM
I've been thinking of one for my 45g. Wondering how well they would work on a curved front corner tank?

fkshiu
03-23-2009, 03:50 PM
I have Jack's old Wavebox and I love the "rock concert" effect on my LPS and softies - too each his own, I guess.

mseepman
03-23-2009, 03:51 PM
Myka, given the cost of the nano wavebox versus the MP20, it would strike me that the MP20 has a little more flexibility and costs about $50 less. It also takes up less real estate in the tank.

Just my 2 cents though.

Madreefer
03-23-2009, 04:17 PM
I've been thinking of one for my 45g. Wondering how well they would work on a curved front corner tank?
I have a half circle tank. I emailed Tunze and asked that very question. They replied thanking me for the interest but adviced me NOt to but this product. They explained that they have no experiences with curved glass and thought that it would not work properly or possibly not at all.

fkshiu
03-23-2009, 04:23 PM
I have a half circle tank. I emailed Tunze and asked that very question. They replied thanking me for the interest but adviced me NOt to but this product. They explained that they have no experiences with curved glass and thought that it would not work properly or possibly not at all.

I've seen waveboxes work fine on bowfronts. Not sure about corner tanks..

christyf5
03-23-2009, 04:24 PM

With curved glass the wave would follow the glass and not return to its point of origin = no wave. It wouldn't make sense to put one in a tank with curved glass since it needs the flat pane to bounce off of.

banditpowdercoat
03-23-2009, 04:32 PM
But mines like a 1/4 of a pie. So, from one Radii pane, across the front, and bounce off the other pane, back across the front.. Hmm I dunno. Alot of $$$ to spend to find out it doesnt work well. maybe one day I'll spring for a MP20

Myka
03-23-2009, 06:47 PM

I've got a Nanostream 6025 on the breeder and the Nanocleaner puts out another 200gph - that's it.

Haha!! I like that look though!! Go figure... You're getting enough flow in your 40g with just that eh? You have lots of big softies in there though I think. Meh, I'm not sure what to do with the dang tank!! *bangs head*

I have Jack's old Wavebox and I love the "rock concert" effect on my LPS and softies - too each his own, I guess.

:lol: Me too!!

Myka, given the cost of the nano wavebox versus the MP20, it would strike me that the MP20 has a little more flexibility and costs about $50 less. It also takes up less real estate in the tank.

I wonder if you could almost get the same effect from the VorTech anyway...? I just fell in love with the wavebox on the J&L display when I first saw it, and I have always wanted one since, and now that they have the nano version it's actually a possibility.

Slick Fork
03-24-2009, 05:54 AM
While I was switching tanks, I briefly tried the nanowavebox out on a 33gallon, It was a fairly quick wave but a pretty cool effect nonetheless. Now I have it on my 4x2 foot and I get about a 1.5-2" wave and you couldn't talk me into giving the nano wavebox up if you tried.

My understanding of the physics of the thing is that the wave is created by displacement of the water and so you wouldn't get the same kind of effect as you would with a vortech or series of streams.

banditpowdercoat
03-24-2009, 05:59 AM
Yes, you can get the same effect with a Vortech. Pulsing a Powerhead in the right timing WILL create a wave as well. Just the wavebox can possibly use a smaller pump due to the isolation of the 2 bodies of water.

Ever sit in a bath and move back/forth a little bit. Or, even though its not in water, A Swing. You only apply forward energy and the result is a swinging(oscillation) or transfer of energy forward and backward, just like a wave

RuGlu6
03-24-2009, 06:06 AM
i used to have an original larger wavebox in my 60 gal (36"long)
And now when Nano is out i got the Nano wave box.
I get a larger wave from Nano due to a tank size but in a nut shell it worth every penny, i would pay more for it.:smile:

rstar
03-24-2009, 04:41 PM
Now I have it on my 4x2 foot and I get about a 1.5-2" wave and you couldn't talk me into giving the nano wavebox up if you tried.

How are you getting a 2" wave, ive got the nano wavebox on my 90 which is 4'x1.5' and my wave has never been more than maybe an inch, and ive got is at 24volts!

Sorry for the hijack Myka!!

Myka
03-25-2009, 12:18 AM
Don't worry about hijacking! Give 'er. I rarely dislike hijacking...usually turns into something interesting.

Oh I just don't know what to do!!! Those who have Waveboxes seem to really love them, and those who have VorTechs really love those...

banditpowdercoat
03-25-2009, 12:23 AM
Same here, Myka. I will eventually get one, or the other. But not sure which. After seeing some Youtube videos of how well a vortech can make a wave, I think I'm leaning to save up for one of those. Take up less space. I barely notice my Koralia now.

Madreefer
03-25-2009, 12:49 AM
Same here, Myka. I will eventually get one, or the other. But not sure which. After seeing some Youtube videos of how well a vortech can make a wave, I think I'm leaning to save up for one of those. Take up less space. I barely notice my Koralia now.

Hey dude for what it's worth it would'nt hurt to email Tunze and ask their opinion on if it will work. I did and was happy that they were honest with me and asked me not to buy it as they thought it would'nt work on rounded glass. I really wanted the Nano Wavebox to.:sad: I have two of the Koralia#4's and I modded one of them for $20. Went from 1250G/Hr to 3000G/Hr But with the Vortech are you going to like something sticking out of your glass? With a pie shaped glass you don't really have a side of your tank. Might look kind of silly thats why I did'nt even consider one of those as I have a half circle tank. Hey I'm not trying to put a downer on it just trying to help you possibly to save some cash. :biggrin:

banditpowdercoat
03-25-2009, 01:03 AM
Madreefer, I am getting another tank here in the new future, a 150g. that one WILL have some form of wave making on it. I will also try it on my corner unit when I eventually get one. Bit for now, I'm not buying one solely for the corner tank

Myka
03-25-2009, 01:03 AM

Hmm...I haven't looked at the YouTube vids yet. I didn't think the VorTech would be able to make a decent wave. I will go look now that you've mentioned it, thanks! :)

Madreefer
03-25-2009, 01:08 AM
Madreefer, I will also try it on my corner unit when I eventually get one. B

Cool! Please let us know how it works on the corner tank. I still want one if it works.

Slick Fork
03-25-2009, 01:13 AM
Rstar: I find the wavebox to be very finicky, if I move a powerhead or rock, it needs to be re-tuned, right now I've got a rack with some recently acquired frags stuck to the glass and that has flattened the wave out some. Have a look for things that may interfere with the wave.

Slick Fork
03-25-2009, 04:52 AM
I should correct myself, My wave on a 4x2 tank is ranging between an inch and an inch and a half. I got thinking about it and decided to actually measure... 2 inches would be pretty spectacular though!

Chaloupa
03-25-2009, 05:01 AM
I've got the larger wavebox on my 150g tank and LOVE IT! It takes quite a bit of space up but for the wave action I wouldn't trade it! I bought mine after I saw Christy's in action...they're great.:biggrin:

Myka
03-25-2009, 05:20 AM
Ok I watched some vids on YouTube of the VorTech's wave action. I think I'm sold. It does a pretty good job of making waves, $50 cheaper, less tank space, more versatile. That's enough reasons for me...

fishytime
03-25-2009, 02:52 PM
If you want to go vortech do it soon.

es355lucille
03-25-2009, 02:53 PM
Myka, Have you given any thought to the noise factor? I am also looking at both Tunze and Vortech. Some say the Vortech Gen II are not as noisey as the first ones.

I have a new tank that will be in our living room. I love the vids of the Vortech MP40.......just don't want to have to "YELL" over the sound.

Thoughts? Anyone own a Vortech and think its noisey?

Ok I watched some vids on YouTube of the VorTech's wave action. I think I'm sold. It does a pretty good job of making waves, $50 cheaper, less tank space, more versatile. That's enough reasons for me...

fishytime
03-25-2009, 02:54 PM
Myka, Have you given any thought to the noise factor? I am also looking at both Tunze and Vortech. Some say the Vortech Gen II are not as noisey as the first ones.

I have a new tank that will be in our living room. I love the vids of the Vortech MP40.......just don't want to have to "YELL" over the sound.

Read ihavecrabs cube tank thread.

banditpowdercoat
03-25-2009, 03:11 PM

WHy is that? Got a little insider info?

JDigital
03-25-2009, 06:00 PM
Hmm...I haven't looked at the YouTube vids yet. I didn't think the VorTech would be able to make a decent wave. I will go look now that you've mentioned it, thanks! :)

You want to see a Vortech make a wave... Check this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLPmea2II-A&feature=related

rstar
03-25-2009, 06:46 PM
You want to see a Vortech make a wave... Check this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLPmea2II-A&feature=related

Good vid Jdigital, but i wonder what it would be like in a real reef. After talking to tunze yesterday, and a little experimentation with my wavebox, i dicovered that an overflow really kills the wave, with my return pump off, my wave is insane in my tank, really nice to see. With the return on its kind of blah. I wonder if it would be any different with the vortech? Ot has anything to do with the positioning of the overflow. ie; if it is a center over flow it would be better. My overflow is a single corner overflow.

Myka
03-25-2009, 06:50 PM

Why do you say that??

I thought the MP40's were the ones getting the noise complaints? I thought it was the MP20s that seem to have the kinks worked out...?

Pazil
03-25-2009, 06:54 PM
Good vid Jdigital, but i wonder what it would be like in a real reef. After talking to tunze yesterday, and a little experimentation with my wavebox, i dicovered that an overflow really kills the wave, with my return pump off, my wave is insane in my tank, really nice to see. With the return on its kind of blah. I wonder if it would be any different with the vortech? Ot has anything to do with the positioning of the overflow. ie; if it is a center over flow it would be better. My overflow is a single corner overflow.

My overflow is a single corner aswell.... I put the wavebox in the front corner of my cube and this caused the wave to run from the front corner where the wavebox is to the opposite rear corner.... In turn the water level at the corner overflow is not affected.

Cheers
Lawrence

digital-audiophile
03-25-2009, 07:21 PM
WHy is that? Got a little insider info?

Indeed... please share.

Price is going up I take it?

banditpowdercoat
03-25-2009, 07:36 PM
Possibly no Canadian distributor, I heard.

Myka
03-25-2009, 09:40 PM
That would suck.

mike31154
03-26-2009, 01:40 AM
Why do you say that??

I thought the MP40's were the ones getting the noise complaints? I thought it was the MP20s that seem to have the kinks worked out...?

I've had an MP40W for about a year now & it is audible in the mode I'm running it in, long pulse at close to 100%. But I definitely do not have to yell to be heard around it, it's not that bad. Dialed down to less than say 80% it is considerably quieter. Depends a lot on ambient sound levels as well. I would not recommend it for folks with tanks in their bedroom unless they are sound sleepers. When I'm home, I'll often dial it down at night time.

I purchased the unit at J&L about a month before they redesigned the wet side magnet (last March/April). The original magnets had a poor coating which eventually leaked causing the magnet to rust. That's been fixed with the Gen 2 upgrade. There are several other minor upgrades to the Gen 2, but nothing to directly deal with the sound generated by the dry side motor. The motor is outside the tank, so sure you're going to hear it hum/buzz, there's no water to muffle the sound as with conventional power heads.

I have no experience with wave boxes, but the footprint inside the tank is sufficient reason for me to happily deal with a little noise from my MP40W, with the added benefit of no electrical cord in the water. After toying with the VorTech modes and making surface waves in my 75 using short pulse mode, I've found the long pulse mode much more natural in the flow it creates. I don't care to make a wave at the surface, to me it's more important what's happening below the surface. The VorTech creates a nice undertow which keeps detritus from settling on the substrate. Videos of 1 or 1.5 inch waves on the surface are great marketing tools to get peoples attention, but every tank is different and not everyone needs a wave at the surface to get the desired effect down under... that's where your livestock is.

Myka, the MP20 motor and wetside are identical to the MP40. The difference in the two is purely the power supply and the driver module. The MP20 is run at a lower speed than the MP40 and therefore makes less noise, not because of any kinks that have been worked out. Top speed is simply lower for an MP20. This is also why the MP20 can be upgraded to MP40 simply with the purchase of a kit consisting of a new power supply and driver module. Nothing needs to be done to the dry side motor or wet side.

I'm saving up for another MP40W.

sitandwatch
03-27-2009, 01:55 AM
Wondering if there is enough interest in a group buy for some vortech's as that seems to be the way this thread it pointing?

OceanicCorals-Ian-
03-27-2009, 06:26 PM
Wondering if there is enough interest in a group buy for some vortech's as that seems to be the way this thread it pointing?

I am in for two should a group buy take place here!

Myka
03-27-2009, 06:43 PM
Mike, thanks a lot for your review and clarification on the VorTechs!! :D

I would be in on a group buy, but I'm not at the coast...not sure if it would end up doing me any good. :lol:

mike31154
03-27-2009, 08:49 PM
No problemo, happy to be of assistance. You really need to see/hear one in action in person to appreciate how it functions. I'm fairly certain J&L have one running in their tank by the door as you walk in, along with a wavebox etc. It's been a while since I've been there though, so who knows what they've got going in there now.

As for group buy, I'd be interested in one MP40W, but not sure a group buy will yield much in the way of savings. I'm fairly certain EcoTech is firm on their price so it's up to the retailer and they like to make a decent profit too. I've been keeping my eye on the buy/sell forum of a certain other reef forum. There are a few used ones for sale there, but never know what you're going to get buying used.

Myka
03-28-2009, 12:12 AM
Hey Mike, there was a guy on Castanet selling his 90g (I think it was 90), and he's decided to part out he has two MP40s, maybe he'd offer them/it to you at a decent price. If the price is good enough, I might buy one of the two if we could work that out.

sitandwatch
03-28-2009, 01:36 AM
Darn this thread!! So I did a lot of checking on prices and even got prices for a GP and it was not worth it sooooooooooooo

I hit Red Coral on the way home and now I have a shinny new MP20.

I will install tonight and post some feed back.

mike31154
03-28-2009, 02:16 AM
Hey Mike, there was a guy on Castanet selling his 90g (I think it was 90), and he's decided to part out he has two MP40s, maybe he'd offer them/it to you at a decent price. If the price is good enough, I might buy one of the two if we could work that out.

Hmm, not familiar with Castanet, but I'll check it out. Similar to eBay or Craigslist?

sitandwatch
03-28-2009, 09:40 PM
Got the mp20 running this morning.

Started it on high and well the tank filled with crap coming off the rocks, I have noticed flow in areas that had no flow before.

I have been playing with the diferant settings even got a few waves happening, but have left it on about 80% on reef crest mode and will see how that works out.

geeluk
03-29-2009, 12:36 AM
Tagging along on this...I was doing a search and came across a guy on reefsanctuary.com that set up a group buy. I pm'd the guy to see what the price would be. It sounds like they got a good deal and shipping was fast. Will update if I get a reply.

geeluk
03-29-2009, 01:26 AM
Got a reply, for the mp40 its $365 USD Shipped to USA address. Its done through Paypal and Vendor will send the invoice by email. Not that great considering the exchange and the lack of service if there was any problems.

Oscar
03-29-2009, 01:45 AM
I have had a Vortech20 for about 4 months? Got one of the first that arrived at J&L. This unit is virtually noise free, I put have to pretty well put my ear up against the unit to hear it.

It has now replaced my Koralia 1 and I have removed the Hydor random flow generator off of my return nozzle. Currently the unit is set to Lagoon Random Mode. I had tried the wave mode when I first got the unit but no luck creating a wave. I think I will try it again.

The unit really does suck up a lot of detritus and keeps it suspended allowing it to be captured through the overflow.

Another point not mentioned before is that the wet unit is really easy to clean. Plus you can add a battery unit that will keep the power head working for ~36 hours.

sitandwatch
03-29-2009, 02:46 AM
I still have quite a bit of detritus floating around since I added it this morning so good Its coming out bad my tank looks messy.

if I really really concentrate I can almost hear mine from about 10 feet away with any back ground noise I cant hear it at all.

The best price I found would be $350 CAN the group bye was $250 US but by the time you add shipping, conversion alone it was more.