PDA

View Full Version : Dez' Tank Journal

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

Dez
07-29-2009, 03:42 PM
You can't stop now; it will be worth it when you figure it out!
(plus this is my favorite tank journal 'selfish :redface:')

I would be worried about the salt as wells and I have no actual scientific facts for this but just a feeling. I know you'll figure it out and the guys at Marine Aquaria are awesome keep the faith it WILL get better!

YES - BIG PROPS TO MARINE AQUARIA. I've known the owner since he was in high school. He's gone above and beyond for me. He's opened the store later at night just so I could get a bulkhead and plumb my tank. Last night he personally came to my house to pick up the "test" fish because I didn't want to kill it. He was closed but made a special trip to pick up the fish and bring it to the store. He has given me beer at the store (it was a plus 32 day last week). He has taken in my dying damsels. He even offered his freshly mixed store saltwater so I wouldn't have to wait for my R0/DI to fill. I declined cause I didn't want to take advantage of him. I know I could get some stuff cheaper online, but I like supporting local vendors. I know that he's worked his @$$ off to get to this point and taken on a lot of debt just to cater to us hobbyists.

Thanks for the comments about this build thread. Hopefully I'll get outta this hole and maybe you'll be able to see the tank in person one day since you are in Edmonton.

Dez
07-30-2009, 03:31 AM
Alright, despite the setbacks here are some pictures of the other progress that has been happening. Last week I set up my skimmer - nothing special, here are the pics.

It's an old PM Bullet 3 skimmer.
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_0887.jpg?t=1248922836

You can see the auto top off in this picture, it's nothing fancy. That Kent float valve came with the sump. It's hooked up to my RO/DI. I do have an electronic ATO system and I might use it but I'd have to find time to make an acrylic float switch holder. I don't know if I want to get fancy with all these extra backups. We'll see how I feel down the road. This works for now.
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_0888.jpg?t=1248922879

For some reason everybody always like the foam pictures.
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_0889.jpg?t=1248923012

And I got an Aqua Controller III so I hooked it up tonight. I love it. I can control my pumps and heaters down in the basement from upstairs. I wasn't gonna get a controller but I picked this one up for cheap with the two DC8's. Endless possibilities. I'm not a computer guy so it took me a little while to program it.
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_0891.jpg?t=1248923055

Under the stand:
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_0890.jpg?t=1248924173

In the basement:
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_0892.jpg?t=1248924245

Other updates. My 40 gallon frag tank is full of fresh salted and heated water, so tomorrow I'll go and get another fish to see if it's the salt that's causing my problems. Enjoy.

Richer
07-31-2009, 04:54 AM
Here's the thing though....the 5 year old salt was new and still sealed. Do you think the salt has a shelf life? Hopefully I'll be able to figure it out. The fish store maybe thinks it might the be 5 year old rock that was 'cooking' leaching something out. We'll see in a few days I'm sure. Thanks for the comments. PS, do you like the aragocrete that I made as my closed loop intake (remember I came to your place and picked up that cement?)

I don't think its the 5 year old rock. The rock I got from your cooking tank for my nano has been in there with a tailspot blenny for over 2 weeks and the fish is still going strong. I'd lean more towards bad salt.

Dez
07-31-2009, 06:37 AM
I don't think its the 5 year old rock. The rock I got from your cooking tank for my nano has been in there with a tailspot blenny for over 2 weeks and the fish is still going strong. I'd lean more towards bad salt.

Good point Rich, I didn't even think about it that I gave you some of that rock. Well, I got another test fish today and it is not labouring or breathing hard at all and seems well. There is no rock in the tank though. So now I could probably safely put rock in with him. I'm thinking some big water changes and I should be okay. Whatever was leached in there should be diluted somewhat by now. I mean, I used the same water to change half the water in my mantis nano tank at work and the mantis is going strong. We'll see I guess.

Navarchus
07-31-2009, 06:42 AM
:confused:Do you feed your skimmer via the return pump?

lastlight
07-31-2009, 07:24 AM
Glad to hear this fish is still going strong. I really can't see it being the rock either. Does the tank with the fish in it have the same salt tho?

Dez
07-31-2009, 12:41 PM
:confused:Do you feed your skimmer via the return pump?

Sure do.

Dez
07-31-2009, 12:45 PM
Glad to hear this fish is still going strong. I really can't see it being the rock either. Does the tank with the fish in it have the same salt tho?

Yes it does. I used a complete pail of IO salt and I used another bit of a pail of IO salt that I had. And the 40 gallon frag tank has the SAME salt and same RO water as the original fill. I was trying to keep all of the variables consistent. Well, we'll just see from here. I had a bunch of rock in with the fish overnight and the SAME fish seems to be doing just fine without and labouring or hard breathing.

Navarchus
07-31-2009, 04:02 PM
I.M.O. skimmer should get pre-filtered water to get the best of it!
That way you take out of the water not only the d.o.c but also different organic particles, sort of mechanical filtration.
Maybe you want to consider drop feeding it or a separate power head from the first chamber of your sump.

Dez
07-31-2009, 09:41 PM
I.M.O. skimmer should get pre-filtered water to get the best of it!
That way you take out of the water not only the d.o.c but also different organic particles, sort of mechanical filtration.
Maybe you want to consider drop feeding it or a separate power head from the first chamber of your sump.

I have a filter sock (200 micron) that will take care of fine particles. Other then that it'll be the same water no matter where I pump from. Thanks for the feedback. All the other baffles are just bubble traps. And even if I pump from the first chamber, the water's going through the filter sock anyway.

Navarchus
08-01-2009, 04:30 AM
ok:biggrin:

fishytime
08-02-2009, 12:42 AM
Do you roll your salt buckets?....Very cool to meet yous two today....sorry it was soooo busy and I couldnt really chat with you that much.

ALBERTA REEF
08-02-2009, 02:58 AM
Glade to meet you today. Nice build, hope to see more.

Dez
08-02-2009, 03:12 AM
Do you roll your salt buckets?....Very cool to meet yous two today....sorry it was soooo busy and I couldnt really chat with you that much.

what do you mean by rolling my salt buckets? I've never heard of this. It was nice meeting you as well.

scherzo
08-02-2009, 03:16 AM
what do you mean by rolling my salt buckets? I've never heard of this. It was nice meeting you as well.

I think he means to put the bucket on its side and roll it.. I've heard of people doing it every time they use their salt or sometimes.. once or twice every two weeks to make sure that everything (whatever is in it.. I'm no expert).. stays mixed..

Theory is that the different things in the salt stays uniformly mixed... some people just do it the first time they get the bucket. because of shipping things may settle out... personally.. I've never done it..

I think that is why people roll their salt buckets... (am I wrong???)

fishytime
08-02-2009, 03:24 AM
I think he means to put the bucket on its side and roll it.. I've heard of people doing it every time they use their salt or sometimes.. once or twice every two weeks to make sure that everything (whatever is in it.. I'm no expert).. stays mixed..

Theory is that the different things in the salt stays uniformly mixed... some people just do it the first time they get the bucket. because of shipping things may settle out... personally.. I've never done it..

I think that is why people roll their salt buckets... (am I wrong???)

"Circle gets the square".....you may find that if you dont roll your buckets of salt, the first mix may have say 500 ppm of calcium and the last mix may be 300ppm....obviously not scientific numbers but you get the idea.

lastlight
08-02-2009, 03:34 AM
Wow never once even read about this. Great idea and I'll do it myself If I ever buy salt.

Dez
08-02-2009, 04:41 AM
Well, I used the whole bucket of salt so I guess that didn't matter that time....I will do this in the future I guess. Won't hurt and it doesn't take much effort.

mark
08-02-2009, 05:48 AM
last few buckets of IO I've measured Ca and Alk at the start and about 1/2 full, to get a idea how much to supplement, values end up being the same (without rolling).

Leah
08-03-2009, 12:27 PM
Just wondering if things are getting better?

Dez
08-03-2009, 06:53 PM
Just wondering if things are getting better?

Well, I'm back tonight and we'll see if my test fish is still doing good. I had new saltwater mixed and fish was good. I put some rock from the display in with the fish to see if there were any adverse effects, so far none. We'll see tonight. If everything is good, them I'm going to switch out as much water as possible and just assume that something leached into the tank during my tank build. Sucks, but it's better than a whole tank crash I guess.

Des

Skimmerking
08-04-2009, 01:04 AM
looksa good man

Dez
08-05-2009, 07:01 AM
Well, after a rough couple of weeks with my fish problems I think that my problems are solved *knock on wood*. I did a 100% water change today - that's right 100%. It was a pain, but worth it. It is now about 8 hours after it's complete and everything seems to be fine. I got some sps frags from a friend yesterday and I'm getting full polyp extension and all the other corals that I acquired from friends are doing well - GSP's, leathers, xenia. The fish that's in my frag system (now hooked up with the main system) is doing well. Ate well after the water change and wasn't shy. I got another 100 lbs of rock yesterday that's well seasoned so there shouldn't be much of a spike, if any. Here's a picture of the tank almost drained.

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_0895.jpg?t=1249455630

It was a chore, but all worth it in the end. I will attribute my problems to either a bad batch of salt or something that leached in unknowingly. I am praying that this does the trick as I was ready to throw the towel in.

lastlight
08-05-2009, 07:44 AM
Great news! Just think of how much your kids would miss the tank at this point =)

Lance
08-05-2009, 05:48 PM
Hurray! Good News.

subman
08-05-2009, 05:52 PM
I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Dez
08-05-2009, 06:38 PM
I'll keep my fingers crossed!

I am too.....I just hope that whatever was leached or if it was bad salt is gone with the wind. My "test" fish is doing awesome and feeding from my fingers. So obviously not stressed and he's been in for about a week now and still feeding after 100% water change. Corals are showing polyp extension. So fingers crossed for the next week to see if I have broken the unknown problem barrier!

Dez
08-06-2009, 11:53 PM
Good news. It's been a couple of days since the 100% water change. Fish are doing awesome. I bought 3 clownfish and they are doing well and eating. Good polyp extension on whatever frags I had before, so I think whatever problem I had is solved. I have to start raising my calcium though because I tested it and it's only 320 - 340ppm. DKH is good at about 8. I'm surprised reefer's best salt tested so low in calcium. I tested twice just to make sure. Regardless, this is a minor problem.

This is what it looks like now:

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_0899.jpg?t=1249602530

From the living room:

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_0900.jpg?t=1249602581

Man, I have to start using a camera other than my cellphone. Those pictures suck. Sorry guys.

My cabinetry for the other side should be coming sometime in the next couple of weeks so I added a fan today so that the canopy stays dry. I had this 12V DC fan from 5 years ago. It's adjustable speed so I have it dialed down so that I can't hear it. Just a bit of airflow to keep the canopy dry. The less voltage, the slower the fan goes. I think I got the fans at Princess auto ages ago.

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_0897.jpg?t=1249602713

And mounted:

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_0898.jpg?t=1249602776

Hopefully its smoother sailing from here.

Dez
08-20-2009, 11:57 AM
I have been pretty crazy with work and haven't updated the journal in a while. I've hooked up the fan from the basement. Here are the pictures

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_0903.jpg

Here is where the vent ends up (goes upstairs, up the side of the fish tank and ends at one end - when you place your hand there you can feel the sucking of air so I am pleased with the flow)

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_0939.jpg

And my fish tank stand/frame skirt from the den side:

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_0937.jpg

With the canopy open allowing full access which I am enjoying:

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_0936.jpg

and a crappy picture of my nice fishies:

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_0941.jpg

Generally things are going really well in the tank. All sps have full sps extension and some of the tips are changing colour indicating growth starting. The tank is almost there. I still have to drill my water change tank and install and plumb it. Right now for calcium I'm just doing the old fashioned "let the kalk sit for a few ours in a 5 gallon pail and drip it in to replace all top-off water". It's annoying but I haven't had the time to hook my kalk reactor and calcium reactor with all the other stuff that is going on. Enjoy.

Leah
08-20-2009, 12:27 PM
Wow!!!! the cabinet is just Beautiful. And the fish look great, can't wait to see some more shots.

mark
08-20-2009, 02:48 PM
looks like the cabinet turned out great

lastlight
08-20-2009, 03:13 PM
Wow wow WOW!!! Your work with the wood on that side is awesome! I dig the clean look without molding etc. Iron-on veneers? How did you build all that?

Dez
08-20-2009, 03:53 PM
Wow wow WOW!!! Your work with the wood on that side is awesome! I dig the clean look without molding etc. Iron-on veneers? How did you build all that?

I'd like to take credit, but I paid someone to do it. For the time I would've had to take to build it, I was way farther ahead working my real job and pay someone to do it. It is solid maple and stained, then laquered. This guy had build a ton of fish tank stands. It's growing on me - looks too much like a box, but we didn't want any fancy stuff. Once decorations are put on either side of it then it might look a bit better.

Joe Reefer
08-20-2009, 04:10 PM
I think it looks awesome!

muck
08-20-2009, 04:19 PM
I think it looks awesome!

Me too Des. Looks absolutely stunning!

Delphinus
08-20-2009, 04:23 PM
Yeah "wow" is about all I can add to the list of accolades. Nice!

lastlight
08-20-2009, 05:18 PM
I think a nice big vase next to it with some of those fancy schmancy colored twig thingies would look killer.

Delphinus
08-20-2009, 05:40 PM
Wow Brett, you may have a potential career as an Interior Designer. Just promise me that when you have your own cable TV show, you'll still use phrases like "schmancy coloured twig thingies." :)

lastlight
08-20-2009, 06:25 PM
I'm getting a SHOW now? Rad! I don;t have to marry my closest male friend to land that do I?

http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/b/0/0/5a/0/AAAAC0BZ6hYAAAAAAFoDVw.jpg

Not the greatest shot but sorta what I meant. You'll need maybe a white vase with green branches. White will pull the color of the couches over etc. Haha. That sounded legit?

I have other cool terms like PHEASANT BALLS. I had a friend who decorated his place in such a way that you really couldn't LIVE in the space. He had things like these so I needed a name:

http://www.kaboodle.com/hi/img/c/0/0/37/1/AAAADCYsrTUAAAAAADcSXQ.jpg

Not bad for a thread derail. Anyways Dez...money well spent it looks great!

The Codfather
08-20-2009, 07:59 PM
Looking good Dez, I was wondering how you where going to finish it. I must say you have done an amazing job, glad everything is working out.
Bob

The Codfather
08-20-2009, 08:00 PM
Brett, i think you have been watching to much daytime TV. LOL

Dez
08-20-2009, 09:35 PM
http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/b/0/0/5a/0/AAAAC0BZ6hYAAAAAAFoDVw.jpg

Not the greatest shot but sorta what I meant. You'll need maybe a white vase with green branches. White will pull the color of the couches over etc. Haha. That sounded legit?

Ummm....too bad the couches aren't on the den side Brett.... ha ha. You guys crack me up.

lastlight
08-20-2009, 10:10 PM
Oh right you can see through the tank they weren't Ina reflection.

You'll need pheasant balls then ;)

Dez
08-21-2009, 12:54 AM
Oh right you can see through the tank they weren't Ina reflection.

You'll need pheasant balls then ;)

I showed my wife the pheasant balls and she told me to tell you that she digs them.

lastlight
08-21-2009, 01:43 AM
I showed my wife the pheasant balls and she told me to tell you that she digs them.

Nowhere but in this spot in this thread could you say something like that with a straight face. Heck even here it's a stretch! Glad she digs!

Dez
08-31-2009, 03:01 PM
Well, it's been really busy but the tank is still progressing. No pheasant balls or fancy schmancy twig thingees yet. I have set up my RO/DI holding tank now. It's a 75 gallon tank on a cheap Big Al's stand that I bought from a fellow Canreef member. I had to use a sledgehammer and a 2 x 4 to get the stand in cause my walls weren't square - nothing like some tight tolerances. I made my own glass float valve bracket for the float valve to fill my reservoir. I now siphon water directly from my reservoir to my sump (with a float valve) for my auto top off. 75 gallons will last a loooong time so I have chosen to have my RO unit shut off and once a week I can top up my reservoir. This way there will be no constant on/off action on the RO membrane which will make it last longer. I haven't taken any pics yet but they will come.

I've also picked up tons of colourful sps frags from Marine Aquaria and fellow Canreef members.

I've got cyano, but I think that's part of the new tank syndrome (I've passed the brown algae stage, and now cyano - hopefully coraline algae next).

Thanks for reading.

And Mike (Asmodeus)- I know you're gonna ask for pictures, you always do in everyone's thread :). They are coming! Later tonight after my kidlets go to bed.

Des

Leah
08-31-2009, 03:07 PM
I 2nd the picture's! Sorry to hear the pet store thing was a bust!

Dez
08-31-2009, 03:10 PM
I 2nd the picture's! Sorry to hear the pet store thing was a bust!

Calgary is my home town and it let me down.....oh well. I'll get to see Ocean City one day when I'm back and I'll show up before 5:30pm :)

Dez
09-01-2009, 05:59 AM
Okay, Here are the promised pictures. Soon I will inherit my wife's camera and won't have to use my cell phone camera anymore. Here is the 75 gal reservoir I added last week:

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_0013.jpg

You can see the float valve at the top right. That's hooked up directly to my RO/DI. I'll probably only turn on the RO once a week when the tank is half empty. At the left of the tank is just my siphon tube going directly to my float valve in the sump. Pretty low tech auto top-off system - gravity.

Here's a closer look at my float valve mount, made it in about 5- 10 minutes with scrap glass:

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_0014.jpg

Here is a FTS on the den side:

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_0015.jpg

As you can see, I have a bit of cyano. I attribute it still to new tank syndrome. I have undetectable phosphates and nitrates. Calcium at 400 and Alk at 9 dkh. Tested about 10 minutes ago. Here's one from the living room side. I really do need a real camera.

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_0016.jpg

I am seeing growth on a lot of my frags. Some "garbage" pieces that I've picked up from friends are colouring up nicely (purple/pinks) with new growth tips. I need to order new bulbs as I have no idea of the age of the bulbs cause my lights are from 5 years ago bought used. Any suggestions on nice colour/brand of 250Watt DE bulbs? I will eventually get T5's for either sides of the halides (they are actually on order from my LFS). Thanks for viewing.

Skimmerking
09-01-2009, 11:26 AM
get the reef flux 12K its a nice blend Dez

Dez
09-01-2009, 12:27 PM
get the reef flux 12K its a nice blend Dez

And where would I order such a bulb? Thanks....

Leah
09-01-2009, 12:30 PM
Nice to see fish/corals in it and doing well. :biggrin:

Dez
09-17-2009, 03:02 AM
It has been a while since I've posted....but there are a couple more updates. I finally hooked up my kalk reactor. I made this reactor 6 years ago, and it still works. This picture is with it still filling, but everything is running fine, it's been running for a few days now and all my top-off water goes through it.

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3139.jpg

This is the big picture of where it sits:

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3140.jpg

Also, I finally got some T5 lights on my tank. I ordered some cheap fixtures but it's really for a bit of actinic colour supplementation. Sorry, this picture is kind of dark:

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3159.jpg

There is a 2 bulb 48" fixture on either side of the halides now, all with blue actinic bulbs.

I also got new bulbs for my 250W fixtures. I decided with 14K and I love the colour and I can't believe how bright it is compared to my "who knows how these bulbs are" used bulbs from 5 years ago. I'm eventually going to change the middle 150W halide to a 250 watt halide.

Here's a full tank shot from the living room (picture frame side).

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3187.jpg

Some more progress includes me drilling and plumbing in my 75 gallon water change tank (because a month has gone by and I'm due for a water change) and also plumbing a pump from the 75 gallon RO/DI reservoir to the water change tank. I however encountered a problem as my pump didn't have enough head pressure to pump water 8 feet up and 8 feet over (not effectively anyway). So my friend gave my a mag 9.5 which I'll try and re-plumb it later. Thanks for looking.

saltynuts
09-17-2009, 03:42 AM
man that looks killer. i,ll have to drive down and have a look!

Dez
09-17-2009, 03:47 AM
man that looks killer. i,ll have to drive down and have a look!

Come by anytime Ed. One brown sps you gave me has turned turquoise/blue, the staghorn I got from you has a million growth tips now and has lightened up to green, that hairy acro is growing (probably 1/4" tip all around, I can tell the new growth cause I put it on it's side and now the new growth is growing straight up), that tiny birdnest is growing too but it isn't pink anymore, greenish base. Who knows what the corals will do now with the new lights. I was running old 20k bulbs before and actually the ballast you sold me died :(, so my corals browned out on that side of the tank cause it died right before I went away for a week. Call me sometime and come by and take a look.

Dez
09-17-2009, 03:56 AM
Another interesting to note- had my first major power outage today. Power was out for about 3 hours. Never thought through one before, but I just started my jeep, and plugged an extension cord from the car's plug in to the tank and hooked it up to 2 Koralias. Worked like a charm and made sure to have the garage door 3/4 open so that there'd be no carbon monoxide poisoning :)

lastlight
09-17-2009, 04:15 AM
That looks awesome! That gorg on the left look really sweet.

Killer idea with the car btw. My truck has a 400W outlet in the bed that I will use if I ever need it. Great idea again!

Dez
09-17-2009, 04:18 AM
That looks awesome! That gorg on the left look really sweet.

Killer idea with the car btw. My truck has a 400W outlet in the bed that I will use if I ever need it. Great idea again!

Yeah, I got the gorgonian from a fellow canreefer for $25 - Score! It's a photosynthetic one so it should be pretty hardy, the previous owner had it for over a year.

Joshua Jones
09-18-2009, 04:29 AM
I need to stop by and appreciate this in person! I still haven't seen it since you got those new fixtures and bulbs in there! Pictures look incredible, and pictures never even come close to serving justice..

Dez
09-19-2009, 04:27 AM
It's been about a month since my 100% water change, so I did one today. Actually it wasn't so much a water change, but added 75 gallons to my system.

Here is what I plumbed up. This is my 75 gallon reservoir that holds my RO/DI water. I plumbed up a pump to pump to the 75 gallon tank that I hooked into my system today.

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_0105.jpg

Here is the 75 gallon tank that I have hooked up to my system, this makes my system about 325 gallon total water volume. This tank is run inline with my whole system but it will always remain with nothing but the water running through it. There'll be no fish or rock ever in in.

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_0106.jpg

So here is my process for a water change now. Turn off a valve to the 75 gallon tank - shutting it off from the system. Then drain that entire tank into the toilet right beside the fish room. Then turn on the pump from my 75 gallon reservoir and pump fresh RO/DI water to the now empty 75 gallon tank. Put the approppriate amount of salt and other additives in. Let mix for a few hours. Then turn the valve on a little bit to let the water change happen overnight. The next day turn the valve back on full. I'm quite excited about this system. No buckets!

I finally hooked up my bathroom fan in the fishroom to a dehumidistat. When the humidity hits a certain level in the fish room, then the bathroom fan will vent that humid air straight outside. Here's a picture of it.

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_0107.jpg

I am quite pleased with this build so far. I have not yet regretted anything that I've done and I wouldn't change anything yet. So hopefully that's a good sign. Now I'm done with plumbing for a while - maybe I can start cleaning my basement and go return the unused plumbing parts...

Thanks for looking.

Skimmerking
09-19-2009, 04:40 PM
the setup looks great man well done can you explain the water change part thou you just turn on the 75 gal and it will slowly do a water change for ya

hillegom
09-19-2009, 05:38 PM
excellent build thread. Halfway through!

Dez
09-20-2009, 03:55 AM
the setup looks great man well done can you explain the water change part thou you just turn on the 75 gal and it will slowly do a water change for ya

Okay Mike,

I'll try to explain it clearly.

1. Get motivated to do water change
2. Turn valve off so the 75 gallon on top is off-line from entire system
2. Drain the top most tank (which is hooked up to my tank at all times running through the same salt water as everything else). To drain it, I just stick a siphon tube on and drain it to the toilet right next door.
3. Turn on pump from 75 gallon reservoir to pump all 75 gallons of fresh RO/DI water to that tank that I just drained.
4. Add salt and magnesium to that water and turn on powerhead to mix
5. Wait a few hours - then test parameters to make sure everything is good (the only parameter that will be off is the temp, my fresh water will be cooler)
6. Turn the valve back on and that freshly mixed water will be part of the system again, I just turn it on very little so the temp doesn't drop fast.

It's only a 75 gallon water change out of 325 gallons (about a 23% water change). Last night I put the freshly mixed salt water back into the system and my temp went from 79.5 degrees to 78.7 degrees overnight. So that's not bad for temp fluctuation. Everything seems to be happy with that new 75 gallons of water last night.

So now water changes will be super easy - no buckets. Just mixing and measuring parameters. This was the part of the whole system that I wanted to be easy was the "regular maintenance - aka water changes" part. I found that in the previous years I just dreaded hauling buckets and buckets of water just to do water changes and I found that I didn't do it frequently enough.

Hope you get it now Mike. :)

lastlight
09-20-2009, 04:06 AM
Great idea Dez that's pretty much how my system works but on a smaller scale. The 20 gallon tank under my stand next to the sump always slowly circulates. I turn a valve to isolate it, throw a switch that turns the pump on that is in the tank which drains the 20 gallons into my basement drain. Other side of wall I have previously drained 20 gallons from my topoff tank into the mix tank. change a few valves up and the mix pump now pumps through the wall into the 20 gallon under the tank.

You gotta love not messing with buckets anymore I hated that!

Dez
09-20-2009, 04:15 AM
Great idea Dez that's pretty much how my system works but on a smaller scale. The 20 gallon tank under my stand next to the sump always slowly circulates. I turn a valve to isolate it, throw a switch that turns the pump on that is in the tank which drains the 20 gallons into my basement drain. Other side of wall I have previously drained 20 gallons from my topoff tank into the mix tank. change a few valves up and the mix pump now pumps through the wall into the 20 gallon under the tank.

You gotta love not messing with buckets anymore I hated that!

I know - if it aint easy, you'll tend not to do it. I think that's the most important part of keeping a long term reef is regular water changes - especially with sps. With a softy lps tank it can be more forgiving.

My tanks in the wall so I'm kinda stuck with it through thick and thin. It won't be easy to quit the hobby anymore unless I move. So I might as well make the regular maintenance easy!

Good call on the drain to your basement with your system. I was too lazy to jack hammer my floor to add a drain to my sump room. I could drain it into my sump pump, but then I'd have salt water all over my lawn/garden. I don't think my wife would be too happy with that.

So the hardest part for me is sticking that u-tube on the tank, and starting the siphon :). I guess that's one regret of the build so far - lack of drain in fish room. But if I ever have a flood, it all goes down to my sump pump, so I'm safe from floods at least.

PS - Brett, you better get some updates on your build. When I started my build, I thought Tony would for sure beat me. I thought my build was slow - but I'm almost done now. One day I'll clean up all my fish garbage all over the house!

lastlight
09-20-2009, 04:24 AM
Hey If I hadn't gotten laid off man I'd maybe have salt water in that tank by now! I'm trying my best to get things back on track trust me!

When we built the house I had an extra drain roughed in (besides the one for the bathroom) for my planned fishroom but I decided against that for this build. As sick as it may seem I have rough ideas of what I want my NEXT tank to look like already and those ideas will include a fish room down there! Of course my wife never hears about these ideas =)

Forget that siphon. Toss a cheap pump in there and put it on a switch! By the way great work on that added system there. You'll have quite a few gallons more than me now. Hmmm...

Dez
09-20-2009, 04:32 AM
Forget that siphon. Toss a cheap pump in there and put it on a switch! By the way great work on that added system there. You'll have quite a few gallons more than me now. Hmmm...

I don't think my wife will like the "perma - plumbing" from the fish room to the bathroom next door into the toilet........the white pvc down the hall running on the ground and up into the toilet definitely will not go with the pheasant balls.......

I think my U-tube idea with the flexible hose to the toilet will suffice. There will be no "next tank" for me if I want to stay happily married.

My wife thinks I have too many hobbies as is.

As for salt - find it used....ha ha. My last 3 buckets that were 3/4 full were from canreef members - all for about $25 - 30 bucks each.

As for text kits - get your water tested at the LFS for now - that's what I used to do all the time. Never owned a test kit for the first couple of years of the hobby.

You need to at least have your tank running for a couple of years before your next tank. Then build another house to accomodate your "next tank"..... Man, the things our wives put up with.

Delphinus
09-20-2009, 04:42 AM
Wasn't aware it was a race ... :neutral: Congratulations on yet another win Dez! :p

Dez
09-20-2009, 04:49 AM
Wasn't aware it was a race ... :neutral: Congratulations on yet another win Dez! :p

Aw come on Tony, I wasn't trying to give you a hard time :). I earnestly thought that my build would be super slow. It's been 6 months since I actually started and over 5 years in the planning. It is really hard to get motivated when I'd much rather be playing with my kids and hanging out with my wife than plumbing......

Maybe when I'm in Calgary I'll come give you a hand with whatever you need with your build. I wouldn't mind checking it out in person and seeing your other livestock as well. As far as I remember, you've always had the healthiest and nicest livestock - I was always jealous!

Dez
09-20-2009, 09:44 PM
Well, today I added a moonlight to my tank. It is a single LED light. I had to put it off center a little bit so that nothing was in the way. It is an LED bulb soldered to a resister in-line and then hooked to variable voltage adaptor.

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_0120.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Skimmerking
09-21-2009, 10:31 PM
hey Dez that is great i think im going to try that for my tank with a 30 gal tank once i get out of hell town here in NB after this course that im on...

Dez
09-23-2009, 04:24 AM
Well, with the recent addition of the 75 gallons of water, it has really decreased my temp fluctuation. In the morning today temp was 79, now it's 80.4. It was 29 degrees outside today and we do not have AC. Previous to that temp would go to 82 degrees on hot days. I'm quite pleased with this. I have more water volume in the basement now than on my main display. Here is a full tank shot from the living room. I really need tips on how to take pictures. It is really tough cause I can't seem to take head on shots cause the tank is viewable from both sides so there is so much reflection.

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3189.jpg

And from the den side:

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3190.jpg

Not much has changed. Just trying to learn how to take pictures. I don't get how you guys get such clear pictures of your frags and corals. Out of 30 pictures I took today only a few came out clear. Here's one. This frag was from Saltynuts, it was all brown when I got it and now it's got blue/aqua with red.

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3194.jpg

And this one is a neat picture cause the fish happened to be in the background.

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3199.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Oh btw, I've got my first speck of coraline algae showing up on the glass now. Brings a smile to my face.

Skimmerking
10-04-2009, 04:24 PM
Be careful what you wish for there ,DEZ coraline is going to build and the next thing you are having problems keeping up with the CAL and ALK. JK man love your tank front

we need more pic's of the fish room man

Dez
10-07-2009, 02:34 AM
Mike,

My fish room is boring. All the pictures that I've posted already is what it is. My fish room is so small that I don't have a wide enough angled lens to capture what it looks like. You'll just have to visit one day when you're in Edmonton to see it for yourself.

Anyway, here are some updated pictures just for you Mike:

Full tank shot - living room side:
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3232.jpg?t=1254881847

Purple Acro - it actually looks a lot darker in person - I think you can see it near the bottom right in the fts:
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3234.jpg?t=1254881999

Small Squamosa clam:
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3238.jpg?t=1254882066

Small Blue Maxima:
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3239.jpg?t=1254882107

Here is the start of my forrest of monit caps:
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3240.jpg?t=1254882136

An unknown acro - sorry, I'm not technical into sps names yet. I should get a book one day. This was quite brown when I got it, it is pinking up at the tips, kind of purply:
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3243.jpg?t=1254882187

Another sps. This was dark brown when I got it, it is lightening up and the tips are going whiter:
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3244.jpg?t=1254882269

This is one of my favourites. I believe it's a montipora danae:
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3250.jpg?t=1254882312

Another full tank shot, from the Den side this time:
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3258.jpg?t=1254882355

Another favourite - got it from another canreef member, some acro?
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3260.jpg?t=1254882408

This stag has had a lot of growth since its introduction. This one is from Saltynuts. It was completely brown when I got it. All those tips going up is completely new growth:
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3265.jpg?t=1254882459

This green acro of some sort has done well on the bottom, it has shown some growth:
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3269.jpg?t=1254882486

And the start of my monti digi 2 colour forrest - from another canreef member:
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3275.jpg?t=1254882576

Another squamosa on the other side of the tank:
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3276.jpg?t=1254882621

One of the brightest corals in my tank - green hammer:
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3280.jpg?t=1254882685

That's my little update for now. I suck at taking pictures. Any tips from all of you other people whose every shot is superbly in focus? Thanks for looking.

Des

Dez
10-07-2009, 02:35 AM
Another favourite - frag from Marine Aquaria - only had 3 branches when I got it. I like the Montipora Danae behind it as well:
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3284.jpg?t=1254882727

Last post only let me put 15 images in. This is the last of this update :)

Lance
10-07-2009, 03:15 AM
Really starting to take shape Dez. Very nice build. I can't wait to see that Cap forest when grown in.

Dez
10-07-2009, 04:04 AM
Really starting to take shape Dez. Very nice build. I can't wait to see that Cap forest when grown in.

Thanks for the nice comments Lance. That cap forrest should be interesting. 4 different frags of it. I'm interested to see how the red and green digi's grow together too. All I can do is wait at this point though......ahhh....patience....

lastlight
10-07-2009, 04:09 AM
It's not very often that you can just tell the person has a plan that includes color, growth etc in the long term. I'm feeling it and can tell alreay this is going to rock when it grows in more. If it were my tank I might snatch one or two rocks out of the middle to expose some sand and make a path between the piles but that's minor and just me.

That purple danae looks awesome!

Dez
10-07-2009, 04:49 AM
It's not very often that you can just tell the person has a plan that includes color, growth etc in the long term. I'm feeling it and can tell alreay this is going to rock when it grows in more. If it were my tank I might snatch one or two rocks out of the middle to expose some sand and make a path between the piles but that's minor and just me.

That purple danae looks awesome!

Ahh, yes Brett. I've only given you the "straight on" view from both sides. There is actually about a 6" path of sand running at an angle down the middle. I planned that even before drilling my holes for the closed loop. I'll take an angle shot sometime, or you can just visit one day and see for yourself :). I did the path at an angle to give a perception of greater depth. If the path was straight, I don't think that the tank would look as deep. It's hard to plan stuff long term cause I don't know enough about the other sps to know what corals sting what. I know that the caps usually grow well together and the digi's grow well together, other than that, I'll have to move corals as I see what kind of growth patterns they have. I would love a table acro at some point to put near the bottom plating out. Get your tank up and we can start trading stuff!

fishytime
10-07-2009, 02:32 PM
Looking really good there Dez....not sure the purple monti is a Danae....danaes encrust and your monti looks like its growing up, not out.Possibly confusa? I found a tripod did wonders for my shaky picture taking....I also fiddle with my white balance and exposure...

Dez
10-07-2009, 04:15 PM
Looking really good there Dez....not sure the purple monti is a Danae....danaes encrust and your monti looks like its growing up, not out.Possibly confusa? I found a tripod did wonders for my shaky picture taking....I also fiddle with my white balance and exposure...

So your saying my monti is confused? ha ha. All those pictures taken were with a tripod. I'll have to ask my wife about the white balance and exposure (it's her camera) when she gets back from Vegas. Thanks Doug.

Dez
10-15-2009, 04:12 AM
Did another 75 Gallon water change today, time flies so quickly. I came back from a 4 day weekend during thanksgiving to 2 of my fish having ich.... hopefully it'll bet better. I usually feed with garlic and vitamin soaked foods, but didn't feed for 4 days while I was away.

Anyway, I never did post pictures of my water change contraption. I posted previously of how I do my 15 minute 75 gallon water change and here is where it begins - draining the 75 gallon tank. This is simple, but it works:

The siphon tube:
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_0466.jpg?t=1255579820

And here is where it ends up :)
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_0465.jpg?t=1255579866

Thanks for looking.

JDigital
10-15-2009, 04:15 AM
LOL.. that's a sweet WC rig... :lol:

Skimmerking
10-16-2009, 07:22 PM
Now that's the **** ROLMAO:biggrin:

lastlight
10-16-2009, 07:45 PM
After seeing the pictures finally I STILL don't understand why you don't hard-plumb that in once and for all? Wife might not even notice the change in attack angle on the throne it's so subtle =)

lastlight
10-16-2009, 07:48 PM
Ok another question that NEEDS answering. I don't see a pump on that rig. Do you start siphon with your LIPS? Fish crap is one thing but...

:lol:

Delphinus
10-16-2009, 07:53 PM
I'm kind of wondering similar things actually. Like how come a siphon and not just say a bulkhead where you could just open the valve? Or is that too risky with the wee ones maybe. Hmmmm I wonder if I just answered my own question. You have to be careful when you talk to yourself in other people's thread. Hey, how am I doing! I haven't seen me for a while. I'm doing good, good.. I'm just workin. And me? Yep I'm fine, I'm just working too, although I'm taking a small break right now...

Dez
10-16-2009, 09:47 PM
Okay okay, I didn't want to drill the 75 gallon tank cause there is no room under the tank due to the frag tank being so close to it (I needed the room for lighting the frag tank. I do start the siphon with my lips, but NOT on the PVC that goes into the toilet. I pull the black hose off, start the siphon, then plug it into the contraption that hooks on the toilet.

BELIEVE ME, I THOUGHT ABOUT WHERE MY LIPS GO TOO...

you guys are funny!

Leah
10-16-2009, 10:31 PM
Hope the fish clear up soon! Fish crap is yum... is what they are saying, huh! I wasn't aware of that.

Dez
10-16-2009, 11:21 PM
FIY with about 15' of hose, no water touches my mouth :)....

That said, never tried fish crap.... ha ha

Dez
10-16-2009, 11:55 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the 75 gallon tank had a sticker that said "Do not drill, Tempered glass." I think that's the main reason I didn't drill. I was tempted to drill the side though, but didn't want to risk it.

Delphinus
10-17-2009, 04:24 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the 75 gallon tank had a sticker that said "Do not drill, Tempered glass." I think that's the main reason I didn't drill. I was tempted to drill the side though, but didn't want to risk it.

Oh... Well the sides would have been OK in most likelihood but you wouldn't be able to drain it down as much. So there ya go anyhow.

Dez
10-18-2009, 10:32 PM
Here are some growth shots from about 5 - 6 weeks of growth. Sorry the pictures are bad. My wife was out with the camera, so the after pictures are with a cell phone:

Sorry, I'm not great with latin names or technical names of the sps:

Some sort of stag
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3161.jpg?t=1255904651
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_0472.jpg?t=1255904893

Yellow cup coral:
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3176.jpg?t=1255904929
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_0469.jpg?t=1255904967

Pink Birdsnest:
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3215.jpg?t=1255905027
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_0476.jpg?t=1255905063

Purple Acro:
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3209.jpg?t=1255905106
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_0475.jpg?t=1255905134

Dez
10-18-2009, 10:38 PM
Blue tipped Milli:
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3208.jpg?t=1255905224
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_0474.jpg?t=1255905261

Monti Confusa? The base has grown lots and it's coloured up nicely:
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3197.jpg?t=1255905287
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_0480.jpg?t=1255905339

Hairy Acro:
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3196.jpg?t=1255905390
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_0478.jpg?t=1255905417

Yellow Acro:
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3195.jpg?t=1255905451
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_0479.jpg?t=1255905483

lorenz0
10-18-2009, 11:01 PM
alot of nice loooking stuff in there. the coral you say is Montipora Confusa is actually a pokerstar from the looks of it. Nice piece btw

Leah
10-18-2009, 11:03 PM
You sure have been busy collecting corals, what a collection :mrgreen:

Dez
10-18-2009, 11:07 PM
Not sure what this is, got is as a brown "garbage piece" from someone :)
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3194-1.jpg?t=1255906992
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_0483.jpg?t=1255907212

Leah
10-18-2009, 11:10 PM
Looks like you really one with that one, nice! What is the yellow fish at the top of the picture?

Leah
10-18-2009, 11:12 PM
Opps, won not one! :redface:

Dez
10-18-2009, 11:12 PM
Looks like you really one with that one, nice! What is the yellow fish at the top of the picture?

That fish at the top is a twin spot hogfish. I would recommend it for any reef tank. Had one years ago and was one of my favourite fish. Yeah, with that coral, I couldn't believe when it started turning red, and then the tips got blue :).

Dez
10-19-2009, 12:31 AM
Keep in mind I know nothing about white balance, aperture etc....so the colours are off and it's tough because the tank is viewable from both sides so it's hard to take pictures.

FTS - from living room:
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3301.jpg?t=1255912034

Right Side
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3302.jpg?t=1255912088

Left Side
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3303.jpg?t=1255912113

FTS from the den:
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3306.jpg?t=1255912183

Right side:
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3305.jpg?t=1255912206

Left Side
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3304.jpg?t=1255912233

Hawkfish
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3291.jpg?t=1255912262

Yellow Tang
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3292.jpg?t=1255912289

Skimmerking
10-19-2009, 12:41 AM
love the tank Dez its looking really good man ,keep it up and WELCOME Back to the land of SALT :mrgreen:. how are the wrasses doing are they jumpers \. I want to get a couple of yellows in my tank.

Dez
10-19-2009, 03:53 AM
love the tank Dez its looking really good man ,keep it up and WELCOME Back to the land of SALT :mrgreen:. how are the wrasses doing are they jumpers \. I want to get a couple of yellows in my tank.

My tank is pretty good for jumpers, there is only one real spot on the wavy sea nozzle side of the tank where they could sneak out....I was thinking about sealing it off, but haven't gotten around to it. I have 4 wrasses and it's quite a peaceful community, so no real stress. I love wrasses. I wouldn't mind finding one a different colour.

I'm excited to be back in the land of salt (but I'm not sure my wife is). I'm constantly getting more frags and trading frags that she want to limit me one dedicated day a week where I can have people over or go to someone's house to trade frags.

I love watching them grow man. Or looking at pictures a month ago and saying "wow, I didn't even think that grew, but I got 1/2" of growth!"

PS, did you like the skimmer pictures I posted in your thread?

StirCrazy
10-19-2009, 03:58 AM
Keep in mind I know nothing about white balance, aperture etc....so the colours are off and it's tough because the tank is viewable from both sides so it's hard to take pictures.

go to michales or someplace and buy enough heavy black fabric to cover one side. makes a world of differance and black also enhances your colors more.

Steve

Dez
10-19-2009, 02:02 PM
alot of nice loooking stuff in there. the coral you say is Montipora Confusa is actually a pokerstar from the looks of it. Nice piece btw

Thanks for the ID :). I'm really bad with technical names. I really want to get one of those stony coral books with pictures. Christmas is coming soon, so maybe I'll be lucky. Do you know the latin name of the pokerstar? Is it a Danae?

fishytime
10-19-2009, 02:42 PM
Another suggestion for better pics would be, wait until it is dark outside before you start your shoot....ambient daylight seems to ruin the true colors of the tank.

Dez
10-19-2009, 04:20 PM
Wow.....I was looking through the date stamp on my pictures and I can't believe that this was only 26 days of growth:

Sept 22
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3208.jpg?t=1255969133

Oct 18
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_0474.jpg?t=1255969183

andestang
10-19-2009, 09:59 PM
Must say you still have the touch Dez, the set-up is looking awesome.

Dez
10-19-2009, 11:09 PM
Must say you still have the touch Dez, the set-up is looking awesome.

Thanks for the comments. I don't know if it's the touch or good advice from local reefers and from this forum. It took a little bit of readjusting to the newer technology like waveboxes and stuff :)

BlueAbyss
10-19-2009, 11:20 PM
Things look great, you have some awesome growth on your corals already!

bignose
10-20-2009, 02:31 AM
Hi Dez thanks for the tour of your tank. It's always a pleasure to meet new reefers. I was very impressed with your setup and had a great chat.

Dez
10-20-2009, 03:03 AM
Hi Dez thanks for the tour of your tank. It's always a pleasure to meet new reefers. I was very impressed with your setup and had a great chat.

Not a problem. I'll make up for the size of your frag when my stuff grows out later. Sorry as I had to frag a frag for you since my system is so new. Always nice meeting new reefers as well.

Dez
10-24-2009, 05:13 AM
A little bit of an update today. I removed a couple of large-ish pieces of rock from one side cause I though the corals were too high, this gave me more room for corals surprisingly. I don't have a full tank shot yet as the tank is cloudy now due to an addition to my tank.

I hooked up a calcium reactor that has been sitting in my garage for a while. It's a deltec. I dug up my CO2 bottle and gauges out from storage under the stairs in my basement - and voila, I have a calcium reactor hooked up.

I started at one bubble/sec and effluent at 2 drops per second and will test ph/calcium tomorrow.

Here are pics.

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_0520.jpg?t=1256361150

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_0521.jpg?t=1256361184

Thanks for looking.

leducreef
10-24-2009, 07:20 AM
thanks for the frags dez
was cool to see the tank again

Dez
10-26-2009, 04:26 AM
Did a little bit of work on the tank today. I received my zeo reactor a few days ago. I traded someone some lights for a reactor so I will venture out and try the zeo system out. Here is the reactor in the sump now.

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_0530.jpg?t=1256530893

I signed up on zeovit.com and asked for a starting dosing regime. It seems simple enough so far. I will go out and spend my hard earned $ tomorrow on the starting bacteria and stuff for the zeo system. I also took out my kalk reactor today based on the recommendation from the zeo people. *keeping fingers crossed that everything will be good*

Here are a couple of pictures taken a few minutes ago on my crappy cell phone camera.

Den side:
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_0532.jpg?t=1256531313

Living room side:
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_0531.jpg?t=1256531093

Clown hosting in the green star polyps:
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_0527-1.jpg?t=1256531152

Thanks for looking :)

Navarchus
10-27-2009, 03:36 AM
Cool pic's very nice tank!
be cereful withe the zeovit

Dez
10-27-2009, 05:27 AM
Cool pic's very nice tank!
be cereful withe the zeovit

Thanks for the nice comments Navarchus.

Have you tried zeovit? I know that overdosing can be detrimental. I'm just going by what the zeovit forum recommends (to start it's quite a bit less than what it recommends on the bottle. *Keeping fingers crossed*

Half of me says "why fix what ain't broke".... but as I look at before and after pictures etc of zeovit users, the colours do seem to "pop" more.

I was considering vodka dosing, but I ended up with a free reactor (well, trade for lights I was not using...so I decided to give it a try.

Wish me luck!

Navarchus
10-27-2009, 11:03 AM
Hi
My pleasure

The thing with zeovite method is that you are walking on the edge. By starving the zooxantela you eliminate an energy source from the corals. Instead you have to supply the corals alternative energy and freed them daily. As far you starve the zooxantela the better colors you will get and the edge is getting slender wich means no room for mistakes such as missing a coral feed.

Take in mind that to get good results you must keep your alkalinity around 7-7.5 dKH. By doing so, you will make it more difficult for the coral to precipitate CA, and instead of investing its energy in growing the coral will invest it in protein which enhance the color of the coral.

Dez
10-27-2009, 02:53 PM
Hi
My pleasure

The thing with zeovite method is that you are walking on the edge. By starving the zooxantela you eliminate an energy source from the corals. Instead you have to supply the corals alternative energy and freed them daily. As far you starve the zooxantela the better colors you will get and the edge is getting slender wich means no room for mistakes such as missing a coral feed.

Take in mind that to get good results you must keep your alkalinity around 7-7.5 dKH. By doing so, you will make it more difficult for the coral to precipitate CA, and instead of investing its energy in growing the coral will invest it in protein which enhance the color of the coral.

My alk is about 7 now, but the calcium is a little bit high for the zeo method, it sits at about 480ppm now. I will gradually lower it through the weekly water changes. My thought is "who comes up with this stuff?" That's a such a vast amount of stuff that goes into the tank and who actually took the time to try different stuff out and test it. But hey, if it works, then it works. I'm gonna try to stick with it. I've already drawn up a chart for my dosing so that I don't have to rely on my memory to remember if I dosed that day or not. Are you running zeo? Or have you just done a lot of reading on it?

Delphinus
10-27-2009, 05:03 PM
The nice thing about Zeovit is you can go as far into it as you like. You don't HAVE to go all-out with all the Zooxanthellae killing additives (which is the basic gyst of some of them - zooxanthellae is brown, so take away the brown and what you have left is theoretically just colour - but is the equivalent of an anorexic runway model). But if you just go "basic 4" there are benefits enough - 1) the water clarity (and to me it's amazing how fast this works - the day after I first went Zeo, I was wondering what was wrong with my lights because they seemed way too bright all of a sudden - but it occured to me that it was the water clarity was just THAT much more, that the lights were penetrating way deeper. Literally, the next day). 2) It depletes your tank of NO3 and PO4 like crazy - so you can feed more, which is always a good thing. 3) The sloughed off bacteria, and the coral food additive itself, is a good food source for corals so you get bigger polyp extension, more or less all the time.

So it's almost a slam dunk for a system. I say "almost" though, because, truly, Zeo isn't for everyone and you don't really know what's right for you until you try it. I'm on the fence about going with it in my new tank - I have the equipment ready to go, should I decide to - but two things that don't sit that well with me are, 1) the constant need for replacing the zeolites (it's not like it's a huge cost burden, but still, it's annoying to me), and 2) the inevitable problem of training up your tanksitter for when you're away (vacation or work site trips, whatever the case may be). A lot of Zeo folks, I found, just "let it slide" in these times but that's not always good either - sometimes "things just happen" and then you have to spend all this effort resetting your tank into a happy place when you come back and in the meantime you may be losing corals.

FWIW, I don't run zeo on my cube tank, I run a strong UV instead and it gives me near to the same water clarity that Zeo does, the chaeto fuge does near the same job at scavenging NO3 and PO4, and it's a less maintenance intensive tank as a result. But like I said, each person has their own comfort levels and one methodology isn't really a slam dunk over another - in and of itself anyhow, since a big part of the difference are the users themselves. And there's no rule saying you can't mix and match (ie., I still use Coral Snow and Sponge Power on occasion).

Anyhow sorry for the unsolicited thoughts on the matter - just wanted to talk reefs instead of sitting down and starting the mammoth coding I have ahead of me today. Dez, ultimately I think you will initially like Zeo an awful lot. Have some fun with it, it will be interesting to hear what you think down the road.

cheers

fishytime
10-27-2009, 09:27 PM
Dez....tank is starting to fill in quite nicely indeed:biggrin:

Dez
10-27-2009, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the comments Tony. It is quite encouraging. Looking forward to seeing changes. Although sometimes changes are so hard to see without pictures. Dang, my camera is out of batteries right now and cell phone pictures always suck. I'm glad that you think I'll be pleasantly surprised with the results. My corals were already growing quite quickly, so hopefully the colours start "popping". That is the main reason I went sps dominant tank actually - the colours! Although now zoas are more readily available in fancy colours at a better price than when I first got into the hobby. Anyway, thanks for talking reef with me.

Doug, yes, it's already getting quite full. I know that I'll need to harvest some out later but for now I'm just wanting to see what colours up and what grows well. What an exciting hobby.

Dez
10-29-2009, 04:31 AM
A little update. With the zeovit method it requires more frequent SMALLER water changes. I set up my system to do water changes once a month - a 75 gallon water change takes me 15 minutes.

But to do 5 - 10% it didn't work too well, cause my system was designed to drain the entire 75 gallon tank and mix the salt and add the additives in that tank. But if I only drained 1/3 to 1/2 the tank for a 5 - 10% water change, then I wouldn't want to be mixing the salt in that tank cause it would wipe out any beneficial bacteria in there.

My solution was to get a smaller mixing tup and still have everthing hard plumbed to make water changes easy.

Now my small water change process goes like this.

1. Turn pump on from 75 gallon RO tank to pump into cylindrical tank.
2. Add salt/additives into cylindrical tank
3. Let mix.
4. Shut my water change tank off system via valve, then drain however much water I need out of that tank via my "toilet hose"
5. Check salinity of new water and turn a couple of valves to direct water back into system.
6. Turn valve back on to get system running

Fairly simple and still takes about 15 minutes.

(It is a 40 gallon cylindrical tank)
Here are pictures of the new cylindrical tank and plumbing:

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_0535.jpg?t=1256790142
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_0536.jpg?t=1256792127

Lance
10-29-2009, 04:34 AM
Nice set up.

leducreef
10-29-2009, 06:09 AM
where did you find the tank des
how many $

lastlight
10-29-2009, 06:16 AM
Nice looking tank for sure.

Zeovit...not to mention you pm'ing every person selling coral within 2 provinces of you. Dez you are living the DREAM =)

Dez
10-29-2009, 06:19 AM
where did you find the tank des
how many $

Walked into Marine Aquaria and bought it. Ask Josh, he could probably hook you up with one. I have one that is about 75 gallons that is rectangular. I bought it cause I was going to use it as part of my water change system, but didn't want to build a stand for it to elevate it. Let me know if you're interested in that. My friend has it right now cause he used it for a tank move. I can call him for the measurements.

Dez
10-30-2009, 03:10 PM
Nice looking tank for sure.

Zeovit...not to mention you pm'ing every person selling coral within 2 provinces of you. Dez you are living the DREAM =)

Brett, if you had salty water in your tank you could've gotten Lobsterboy's Humilus....ha ha. Can't wait for that coral, it's coming to me in a few hours. My in-laws were kind enough to pick it up for me and come visit me (Well, I think they're really coming to visit the grandkids....).

You don't know how many times corals/frags came up for sale before my tank was ready and I was kicking myself for not speeding up my build. The world changes once the tank is cycled and ready!!!! :)

Anyway, a little update. I decided to drill my 75 gallon RO reservoir yesterday cause I've lost the siphon a couple of times for my auto top-off for unknown reasons. I will post pictures later when I get off work. Nothing too special.

Oh and another thing - I thought the tank looked brighter after starting zeovit....but maybe I was just brainwashing myself. But my WIFE made the comment last night - "The tank looks quite a bit clearer, Dez". I was like "woo-hooo! it's not just me thinking that zeovit is doing something...."

Delphinus
10-30-2009, 04:37 PM
Told ya! LOL! :p

lastlight
10-30-2009, 07:33 PM
You have your INLAWS coral running for you? Dude that is so boss LOL!

I'm living thru you. I'm jealous but it's a respectful jealous so party ON!

Dez
10-31-2009, 06:12 AM
You have your INLAWS coral running for you? Dude that is so boss LOL!

I'm living thru you. I'm jealous but it's a respectful jealous so party ON!

My INLAWS even fronted the drug....I mean CORAL money. Ha ha. Coral arrived safe and sound!

lobsterboy
10-31-2009, 06:16 AM
glad it made it up there alright

Dez
10-31-2009, 06:29 AM
Thought I'd post some pictures of some frags, I changed some stuff on the camera and these pictures are taken without a tripod.

This is Snappy's famous Birds of Many Colours:
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3360.jpg?t=1256969625

Have no idea what this is but it's one of my favourite frags. Got it from a local hobbyist. It's doubled in size in 2 months. One of my first frags in there.
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3362.jpg?t=1256969694

The hot pink one is Snappy's rainbow stylo, and the one beside is another stylo from a friend.
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3367.jpg?t=1256969777

Picked this one up yesterday - LOVE IT. Where it's white and broken is where we broke it off. I split the cost of this coral with a friend to save $ and for insurance in case either of us lose it in the future. ID anyone?
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3369.jpg?t=1256969830

Freebie frag from a bulk buy :). I'm excited to see how this will turn out
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3371.jpg?t=1256969916

My cap frag garden and the Acro Humilus from Lobsterboy that I received today :). Thanks John:
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3372.jpg?t=1256969978

Digi combo frag from Snappy - pumpkin and green. The deep purple off to the right is from Snappy as well.
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3377.jpg?t=1256970037

Unknown frag from Marine Aquaria, love the colour and polyp extension.
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3378.jpg?t=1256970101

Another Marine Aquaria frag:
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3379.jpg?t=1256970150

This is the craziest little kenya tree coral frag ever. I had it in my little nano for the last couple of years, and I'm saving this frag for a friend who hasn't picked it up yet. It is just sitting on the sandbed. It's doubled in size and the polyp extension is ridiculous. It never had polyp extension like this in the nano. It doesn't even look like a kenya tree.
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3385.jpg?t=1256970185.

Part of my gorgonian. This picture doesn't show full polyp extension at the time the picture was taken.
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3387.jpg?t=1256970315

I call this my superman milli. Started out as a brown coral that was smooth with zero polyps from the bottom of my friends tank. Now it's red and blue....woo hoo!
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3402.jpg?t=1256970396

Finally a couple of FTS
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3401.jpg?t=1256970460

Dez
10-31-2009, 06:30 AM
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3405.jpg?t=1256970498

lastlight
10-31-2009, 06:33 AM
Holy crap those frags are off the hook!

I love the red style. When it and the teal one in front of it are big the contrast there is going to look amazing.

And the digi combo...won't they battle each other...being 2 different corals?

You have been busy man! Already looks awesome in there.

Delphinus
10-31-2009, 07:20 AM
Wow indeed, what did you change? The difference is remarkable.

Nice corals! Needless to say, jealous. Will be really keen to see these guys grown in come say six months from now.

Dez
10-31-2009, 02:37 PM
Holy crap those frags are off the hook!

I love the red style. When it and the teal one in front of it are big the contrast there is going to look amazing.

And the digi combo...won't they battle each other...being 2 different corals?

You have been busy man! Already looks awesome in there.

Yeah that Stylo is off the wall. I love that teal one too. Digi's typically don't "fight" with each other in my past experience. That's why I've grouped them together. And that frag came like that from Snappy (Stand up guy btw). The green digi was a "bonus" mounted beside the pumpkin.

PS. Did you make that Deadline? I saw you were on Canreef probably more than you were "at work" :)

Dez
10-31-2009, 02:41 PM
Wow indeed, what did you change? The difference is remarkable.

Nice corals! Needless to say, jealous. Will be really keen to see these guys grown in come say six months from now.

You know Tony, honestly I don't know. Caley was home at the time I wanted to snap some pictures. I gave her that camera and she changed something to make the camera think that the aquarium lights were the "flash". I told her never to change that setting and just "leave it" for me.

Before I'd try the tripod and the pictures just sucked. Now I can just point and shoot!

The FTS still needs work though. The colours aren't right. Corals are brighter in person.

I know I'll have to do a lot of pruning down the road cause I have a lot of frags in there. I'm interested to see the "final colour" of the corals in my system too. I know corals look different in everybody's tank. I too am looking forward to the "grown in" look, instead of the frag tank look.

Lance
10-31-2009, 04:59 PM
Wow! Nice frags and growth. Tank is going to look terrific when some of those babies fill in.

Dez
10-31-2009, 06:12 PM
Forgot to include pics of my auto top off upgrade - went from siphon to drilled tank. No more worries of losing siphon :)
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_0537.jpg?t=1257012682
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_0538.jpg?t=1257012701

Enjoy.

Dez
10-31-2009, 06:16 PM
Another couple of corals I like:

Have no idea what this is but I split it with my friend. We flipped for the base I think and he got the base :)
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3347.jpg?t=1257012926

This is Snappy's famous Uber Grabe Milli as Mindy would call it
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3373.jpg?t=1257012965

fishytime
11-01-2009, 02:59 PM
Ooooo.....I like that deepwater....Suharshanoi perhaps???

noirsphynx
11-01-2009, 05:11 PM
Love all your stuff! That freebie frag is really nice, I'm looking forward to seeing how it looks as it grows. Might just have to hit you up for some frags once stuff grows :mrgreen:

Dez
11-01-2009, 09:33 PM
Love all your stuff! That freebie frag is really nice, I'm looking forward to seeing how it looks as it grows. Might just have to hit you up for some frags once stuff grows :mrgreen:

Frags are no problem once everything grows. I know that I'll have to do a lot of pruning as my frags are really close together right now. My strategy is to sort of let the really colourful ones grow big and either sell or keep fragging the ones that I don't like so much or the ones that stay brown/tan.... We'll see, it's all a learning process :)

Dez
11-03-2009, 07:18 PM
So my wife pretends to be "uninterested" in the hobby but I caught her red-handed staring at the tank after the kids when to bed. I was upstairs doing something and saw her staring so I quickly grabbed the camera without her knowing. She may roll her eyes at this hobby and get annoyed at the things I do for the aquarium, but deep down inside she loves it. Here's proof:

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3407.jpg?t=1257279494

Leah
11-03-2009, 07:23 PM
Great shot!

JDigital
11-03-2009, 07:25 PM
Don't loose that photo.... that's leverage in the future! :mrgreen:

Joe Reefer
11-03-2009, 09:56 PM
Haha, busted.

Lance
11-03-2009, 10:28 PM
Guard that pic with your life Dez! That's leverage baby!

Skimmerking
11-03-2009, 10:34 PM
DEZ that is worth a new skimmer ande 2 vortechs oh ya

Dez
11-09-2009, 05:29 AM
Holy cow Dez,

I didn't actually think you were serious this time around! :lol::lol: We should call Rich, Russ and Ryan out and have the old gang get together again!

This is kind of funny cause this actually happened! This was quoted from March.

1. Rich (Richer) got back into the hobby as a result of this build.
2. Harvey (Mr. Alberta) is "allowed" to get a bigger tank as a result of this build.
3. Russ actually stepped into a fish store and got interested in the hobby again as a result of this build..
4. But Ryan never made it out to see the tank yet, came under the weather the day of the tank party for the old gang.

Dez
11-09-2009, 05:35 AM
I would have taken the Mini (provided it wasn't a Clubman), and found a way to make a tank work too. I love Minis!

I made this work too :). I have 2 minis and a tank now. This quote was from March too...man, time flies quickly.

lastlight
11-09-2009, 06:24 AM
She's definitely naming your fish while she thought she was unobserved! My wife already named the brittle star in the fuge 'Fred'.

Eduardo
11-10-2009, 01:56 AM
Cute picture. Sandy laughed pretty hard when she saw this. Sandy also told me, "I'd look at your aquarium too if it looked like Dez's".

Dez
11-23-2009, 03:21 AM
It's been a while since I updated so here goes:

Flame angel that I got a little while ago. Does not nip at anything....yes!
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3498.jpg?t=1258949794

Full tank shot - living room side
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3508.jpg?t=1258949823

Full tank shot - den side
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3509.jpg?t=1258949848

Blue polyped birdsnest from Snappy showing growth
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3510.jpg?t=1258949882

Peaches 'n cream digi (From Lobsterboy) and Superman digi
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3511.jpg?t=1258949904

Gorgonian (willing to frag for Edmontonians if interested)
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3512.jpg?t=1258949955

White polyped digi
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3513.jpg?t=1258950008

Some sort of acro
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3516.jpg?t=1258950034

lastlight
11-23-2009, 03:27 AM
Love the contrast between the flame angel and the SPS in that shot Dez. New avatar too. Seems to be the running theme tonight lol.

I dig that digi and the gorg. Might have to roadtrip it one day with a bucket of chaetoBalls and do you some sweet sweet TRADING.

Dez
11-23-2009, 03:27 AM
More pictures

Pokerstar Monti - base already encrusted on rock - nice growth
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3519.jpg?t=1258950103

This was a brown frag from a friend - turned pink and TONS of growth. Doesn't look like a frag anymore.
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3520.jpg?t=1258950141

Blue Sponge - I've had this for a while and showing growth
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3522.jpg?t=1258950191

Green Birdsnest - grown lots!
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3524.jpg?t=1258950234

I think this is some kind of poccilipora - was quite a bit whiter when I got it, now the colour seems a bit richer
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3526.jpg?t=1258950265

Purple Acro frag that only had 2 branches when I got it
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3527.jpg?t=1258950308

Another acro frag showing good growth
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3529.jpg?t=1258950344

Snappy's Bird of Many colours showing lots of new growth tips
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3531.jpg?t=1258950373

My unknown "Superman" milli that was originally smooth/brown:
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3532.jpg?t=1258950411

Sorry about the dark pictures. I think the exposure or something was too far one way (I know nothing about cameras). Enjoy and thanks as always for looking.

Dez
11-23-2009, 03:30 AM
Love the contrast between the flame angel and the SPS in that shot Dez. New avatar too. Seems to be the running theme tonight lol.

I dig that digi and the gorg. Might have to roadtrip it one day with a bucket of chaetoBalls and do you some sweet sweet TRADING.

Which Digi did you like - the white polyp, or superman or peaches 'n cream?

Well, if you get that Brazilian, then there might be some sweet trading. But, too bad I don't have a fuge.... Maybe it's better you don't export those green balls....you need them more than I do.

lastlight
11-23-2009, 03:35 AM
Yeah the white polyped one =)

Dez
12-21-2009, 05:30 AM
I figure I would update a couple of growth sequence pictures. Enjoy.

Here are 2 digitata's (Oct 6)
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3275.jpg?t=1261375707

Dec 20
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3544.jpg?t=1261375797

Tan Staghorn (Oct 6)
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3265.jpg?t=1261375844

Dec 20 (Actinic Only)
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3553.jpg?t=1261375955

Blue Tipped Milli (Sept 22)
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3208.jpg?t=1261376034

Dec 20 (Actinic Only)
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3536.jpg?t=1261376149

Some sort of hairy purple tipped acro (Oct 6)
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3246.jpg?t=1261376704

Dec 20 (Actinic only)
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3550.jpg?t=1261376797

Brown Fatty Acro (Sept 22)
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3206.jpg?t=1261376826

Dec 20 (Actinic only) It has turned purple with tons of new growth tips. This is the other side of the coral.
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3552.jpg?t=1261376896

Birdsnest - it was brown when I got it (Oct 6)
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3235.jpg?t=1261376953

Dec 20 Actinic only
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3546.jpg?t=1261377040

Dez
12-21-2009, 05:52 AM
Blue tipped Stag (Sept 22)
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3205.jpg?t=1261377146

Dec 20 (Actinic Only)
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3551.jpg?t=1261377244

Pokerstar Monti (Oct 18)
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3248.jpg?t=1261377285

Dec 20 Actinic only - base has encrusted onto the rockwork
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3549.jpg?t=1261377436

Snappy's Bird of Many Colours (Oct 30)
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3360-1.jpg?t=1261377612

Dec 20 Actinic only
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3548.jpg?t=1261377650

Random Neon Acro (Oct 30)
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3351.jpg?t=1261377722

Dec 20 Actinic Only
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3547.jpg?t=1261377752

Pocci (Oct 18)
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3278.jpg?t=1261377883

Dec 20 Actinic Only
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3537.jpg?t=1261377952

Random Birdsnest - I saw a tiny polyp in the liverock that I got and just faced it up to the light and this is what grew (single polyp found in early September)
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3542.jpg?t=1261378002

Purple Acro (October 30) I had split this coral with a friend, you can see at the bottom where we hacked it.
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3369-1.jpg?t=1261378244

Dec 20
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3543.jpg?t=1261378270

And finally, a frag I picked up today. This is under blue lights only.
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3545.jpg?t=1261378301

Delphinus
12-21-2009, 05:53 AM
Looks great. How you liking the zeo so far?

Dez
12-21-2009, 05:56 AM
Tony,

I'm used to dosing daily now and have gotten into sort of a routine. I had my PO4 tested today and it's at 0.02, so I guess it's working. Corals show good polyp extension so everything looks happy. I don't really know what to compare zeovit to though because my system was only a couple of months old when I started. I'm getting decent colours though so that's good. So all it all, I like it so far.

For those who go straight to the last page of the thread, I started the growth sequence pics on page 41. Thanks for looking:biggrin:

lastlight
12-21-2009, 06:47 AM
Wow what growth man. You have it nailed DOWN!

That first staghorn blew my mind.

BlueTang<3
12-21-2009, 12:42 PM
good growth we will still have to make it over to see the tank its looks awesome just started to get into sps in the last month i hope i get the growth you do

Dez
12-21-2009, 03:24 PM
good growth we will still have to make it over to see the tank its looks awesome just started to get into sps in the last month i hope i get the growth you do

In the new year you can come by and check out the tank. I'll be gone for a week for the holidays with someone living in my house to take care of the tank. Hopefully all goes well.

Once I got into sps, I absolutely got addicted. The growth is so satisfying compared to softies. This is my first sps dominant tank so we'll see how that goes.

You'll find some sps are the slowest growers ever, and some just take off right away. Some of my frags have done nothing but encrust a base. My friend whose had sps dominant tank for years says that some corals will sit and do nothing for a few months, then have a huge growth spurt, then "rest" again. It's all so interesting to watch.

You never really notice the growth when you see the tank everyday, but when you look at the pictures, you're like "Wow, my corals grew".

kien
12-21-2009, 03:38 PM
wow that is fanastic growth! Looks like you've got her dialed in and pretty much on auto pilot now ? :-)

See, it is growth like this that makes we wonder about a statement I read a couple of months ago about how coral reefs only grow like 5 cm a year or something like that? Crazy talk I say! Those coral reefs need to go on Zeo .. or something :lol:

Dez
12-21-2009, 03:43 PM
wow that is fanastic growth! Looks like you've got her dialed in and pretty much on auto pilot now ? :-)

See, it is growth like this that makes we wonder about a statement I read a couple of months ago about how coral reefs only grow like 5 cm a year or something like that? Crazy talk I say! Those coral reefs need to go on Zeo .. or something :lol:

I've been slowly upping my calcium reactor to get 'er just right. I try not to touch the tank. I finally got around to taking some water to a friend's place to test the low range P04 and it is 0.02 so I'm quite pleased with that. Without zeo I don't think it'd be anywhere near that. So hopefully auto pilot now....just the weekly water changes and enjoy!

andestang
12-21-2009, 05:43 PM
Looking terrific Dez, you still have the touch :). What did you decide on your lighting (KZ's)?

muck
12-21-2009, 05:48 PM
Thats some great growth you have been getting Dez.
Love the neon acro and the new frag you just picked up looks very promising. :wink:

Dez
12-21-2009, 06:07 PM
Looking terrific Dez, you still have the touch :). What did you decide on your lighting (KZ's)?

I'm still not sure about the lighting. I went to a friend's place to see what the fiji purples look like. I'll probably go to another friend's place to see what the VHO's look like. The Fiji purples look nice, but I didn't see them with actinics. Still trying to track down someone with a used 48" bulb that they want to give a away before I make my decision.

lobsterboy
12-21-2009, 08:08 PM
Hey Des, your tank is looking wicked colors are really comig out as well as growth, great job ! :razz:

Dez
12-22-2009, 03:13 AM
Hey Des, your tank is looking wicked colors are really comig out as well as growth, great job ! :razz:

Thanks John,

Really like seeing corals colour up. It's so strange how one coral will be green in a friend's tank and turn yellow in your own. Or it might be brown in one's and pink in another.

Dez
12-22-2009, 03:22 AM
Well,

Somewhat sad news. I have RED BUGS.

I sort of knew about a month and a half ago. I bought some frags off of a fellow canreefer and upon inspecting a frag, I saw the red bugs. I proceeded to do an Interceptor dip to a few of the smooth skinned acros even though I didn't see any bugs on them.

I thought I had caught it early enough. The one frag that I dipped and the bugs disappeared has changed tremendously without the red bugs bugging it. It used to be whitish baby blue, now it's a rich teal colour and there are no signs of bugs anymore. The polyp extension has increased substantially also.

However, I was enjoying my tank tonight and looked really closely at my large acro colony and saw a bug run accross it. Then I saw another :sad:
I saw 3 of them in total on that large colony. So I think they're just starting. Upon inspecting my other corals, it doesn't look like they are affected, but I'm going to do a full tank treatment anyway to be safe, once the lights are out. Then I'll do another in a week, and the final one another week later.

I know that many people dip their corals before it goes into the display. What do you guys dip them in. I'm more scared of acropora eating flatworms then red bugs.

I know that if you buy from some reputable suppliers like CORAL MASTER, it voids the warranty if you dip the corals.

What are your thoughts?

I've never dipped any corals in the years I've been in the hobby. I guess it's never too late to start. Any suggestions?

michika
12-22-2009, 04:32 AM
I dip either with Tropic Marin's Pro Coral Cure, or ReVive (which smells like Mr. Clean). Usually I dip with ReVive initially, then let them sit in QT then later dip with TMPCC.

Dez
12-22-2009, 04:48 AM
I dip either with Tropic Marin's Pro Coral Cure, or ReVive (which smells like Mr. Clean). Usually I dip with ReVive initially, then let them sit in QT then later dip with TMPCC.

Do you dip all corals in that, or just sps? What kind of pests are those dips supposed to get rid of? I am such a dip noob.

Dez
12-22-2009, 04:51 AM
I'm thinking of dipping all smooth skinned sps corals I get with an Interceptor bath. Unless it's from a trusted source.

shrimpchips
12-22-2009, 05:35 AM
Even from "trusted" sources you can pick up nasties. I almost got an AEFW infestation since a trusted vendor advised not dipping their frags to minimize "stress" and to not void their stay alive guarantee.

I ended up finding a single small AEFW on a frag, and then proceeded to spend the next few weeks worrying about and watching out for any other infestation of my tank (which didn't occur, thankfully).

IMO, I don't care who it is anymore, I dip.

Dez
12-22-2009, 05:45 AM
Even from "trusted" sources you can pick up nasties. I almost got an AEFW infestation since a trusted vendor advised not dipping their frags to minimize "stress" and to not void their stay alive guarantee.

I ended up finding a single small AEFW on a frag, and then proceeded to spend the next few weeks worrying about and watching out for any other infestation of my tank (which didn't occur, thankfully).

IMO, I don't care who it is anymore, I dip.

Do those dips that Catherine mentioned take care of the AEFW and Red Bugs? These are the 2 main sps pests out there right? I'm still pretty new at the sps thing.

Funky_Fish14
12-22-2009, 09:25 AM
Hey Dez!

Wow this build came a long way and looks AWESOME! Great job with everything you did! Your workmanship is great!

I had poked my nose in here awhile back, closer to the beginning and wow what a change! Keep up the good work!

Lol, I noticed your waterchange bin/system is very similar in appearance and parts to my R/O supply system. I have the identical white bin (though I also have the 60g version) and a mag in the bottom with similar appearance in plumbing comming out and the same notch in the lid, lol.
- About that bin, cause some people asked: Those white bins like that are available in TONS of different shapes and sizes from Polyrama Plastics in Edmonton. They have several sizing pages available at the store, but all the volumes there are in imperial gallons. The prices are great for the bins!

Cheers Dez, and thanks for sharing!

Chris

Dez
12-22-2009, 03:43 PM
Hey Dez!

Wow this build came a long way and looks AWESOME! Great job with everything you did! Your workmanship is great!

I had poked my nose in here awhile back, closer to the beginning and wow what a change! Keep up the good work!

Lol, I noticed your waterchange bin/system is very similar in appearance and parts to my R/O supply system. I have the identical white bin (though I also have the 60g version) and a mag in the bottom with similar appearance in plumbing comming out and the same notch in the lid, lol.
- About that bin, cause some people asked: Those white bins like that are available in TONS of different shapes and sizes from Polyrama Plastics in Edmonton. They have several sizing pages available at the store, but all the volumes there are in imperial gallons. The prices are great for the bins!

Cheers Dez, and thanks for sharing!

Chris

Thnaks for the nice remarks Chris. It has come a long way and it still has a long way to go.

I'm so glad that I got that round bin. I did a water change last night and a 35 gallon water change took me 7 mins. Mind you I did dump the salt in before I went to work in the morning to let it premix. But it's quite effective and it makes maintenance a breeze.

When I ran about 600 gallons of saltwater before, I was horrible at doing water changes cause it was all 5 gallon buckets.

Snappy
12-22-2009, 06:14 PM
Very nice Dez, things are really coming along.

Dez
12-22-2009, 06:42 PM
Very nice Dez, things are really coming along.

Thanks Greg,

I'll probablly come see you over the holidays if that's alright. I'm coming down for a week. Getting in tonight.

Snappy
12-23-2009, 06:54 AM
Sure just give me a shout.

Dez
01-01-2010, 04:31 AM
A few updates. Here are some random pictures of new "ish" frags. Haven't gotten around to taking pictures of them.

Pink Stylo
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3569.jpg?t=1262323130

Some sort of Monti
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3567.jpg?t=1262323170

Another some sort of Monti
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3560.jpg?t=1262323213

Bright purple Acro
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3565.jpg?t=1262323246

This is a frag I got from Lobsterboy a while ago, it's turned really really bright. It was pinkish when I got it, now it's practically the brightest coral in the tank.
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3576.jpg?t=1262323279

This is a crayola table from Lobsterboy as well. It went through a bit of trouble (falling into my hammer coral - I lost half of it but now it's grown back), it has now almost doubled in size. It's in sort of a shaded area of the tank, but when it grows into the light it should colour up some, the tips are still coloured.
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3575.jpg?t=1262323343

Growth sequence - Green Acro Sept 22 (Note, this is on the sandbed of a 24" tall tank. It is lit with a 150 watt halide for the duration of this growth)
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3207.jpg?t=1262323471

Dec 31 (hard to take a picture as I have many corals around it now and it's been shaded for quite some time now). The growth surprises me because of all the shade and being at the bottom. I thought I'd have to move it, but instead of browning, it's coloured up even nicer.
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3577.jpg?t=1262323657

Lastly, the last FTS of 2009 Den side:
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3574.jpg?t=1262323711

Living room side:
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3573.jpg?t=1262323738

Thanks for looking everyone. Happy New Year!! Thanks all for frags and advice in 2009. I have enjoyed this build so far and hopefully enjoy it even more for 2010.

burtonboy
01-01-2010, 08:27 AM
WOW love your tank!!!
Just found this thread today, i had fun caching up on the 44 pages:biggrin: Im really impressed on your tank build a lot of very interesting ideas. Im really liking all the sps corals.

I have a 30 gallon sps tank thats been running for about 3 month and just recently started to add some corals to it and was wondering what zeovite product your using?

I can just imagine how it looks in person!! Great job!!

Thanks Daniel

lobsterboy
01-01-2010, 08:39 AM
Des, that pink pocci in the first pic is dope.

and the tank is looking great, a few more months and its going to be packed with sps growth :razz:

Dez
01-01-2010, 03:08 PM
WOW love your tank!!!
Just found this thread today, i had fun caching up on the 44 pages:biggrin: Im really impressed on your tank build a lot of very interesting ideas. Im really liking all the sps corals.

I have a 30 gallon sps tank thats been running for about 3 month and just recently started to add some corals to it and was wondering what zeovite product your using?

I can just imagine how it looks in person!! Great job!!

Thanks Daniel

Thanks for reading Daniel and the nice remarks. As for zeo products, this is what I use:

Coral Vitalizer
Sponge Power
Coral Amino Acids
(these I dose only half or less than half of recommended dosage)

Zeostart 2
Zeobak (twice a week)
Zeofood7 (twice a week)
(these are used in conjunction with the zeo reactor)

Thanks for reading.

Dez
01-01-2010, 03:10 PM
Des, that pink pocci in the first pic is dope.

and the tank is looking great, a few more months and its going to be packed with sps growth :razz:

Thanks John,

Believe it or not, it's actually a Stylo (the mother colony that I got it from was about 12" accross and large and lumpy like your typical stylo, this was just a mutant growth off the side in which I convinced the owner to frag :mrgreen:)

I'm looking forward to my tank growing out to your calibre!

Cheers

lastlight
01-01-2010, 03:45 PM
I can't believe the colours starting to take shape in that tank Dez...like WOW! When you're in the frag selling business (and it won't be long lol) I hope to be ready to jump in line!

Dez
01-01-2010, 06:55 PM
I can't believe the colours starting to take shape in that tank Dez...like WOW! When you're in the frag selling business (and it won't be long lol) I hope to be ready to jump in line!

Thanks Brett. The colours are better in person. I can't figure out stupid cameras - or maybe it's just me that's stupid. If I play with the exposure, the corals look washed. But then the full tank shots look so dim, it is so much brighter in person. Oh well, good thing I don't take pictures for a living.

I don't think I'll ever get into the frag selling business, I'd rather take it to my local store for credit for salt etc. Marine Aquaria is really good to me here for stuff like that. But for you Brett, when you're ready, you come on by and grab some frags that are available :biggrin:

When do you take possession of your new place? I pray that all is well with your wife and family!

lastlight
01-01-2010, 08:02 PM
I hear you on the camera woes. So hard to capture colour and overall tank intensity. That's the beauty of macros...concentrate on the corals only.

Wife's doing great thanks for asking =) Been home a few weeks now and we go back on the 5th to find out what's next. We move into the new place and out of the current one jan 29. Basement/tank renos already dancing through my head of course.

burtonboy
01-02-2010, 09:58 AM
Hey Dez

Im just wondering if i use the sponge powder, coral amino acid, and the Coral Vitalizer do i have to use Zeostart 2, Zeobak, Zeofood7 or will i be fine without? Where did u get yours zeo from?

Thanks Daniel

Dez
01-02-2010, 02:52 PM
Hey Dez

Im just wondering if i use the sponge powder, coral amino acid, and the Coral Vitalizer do i have to use Zeostart 2, Zeobak, Zeofood7 or will i be fine without? Where did u get yours zeo from?

Thanks Daniel

Any of the zeo products mentioned above can be dosed without a zeovit reactor. I would suggest signing up for the zeovit forum at zeovit.com and ask around there. I am still really new to the whole zeovit thing and have only been doing it for about 2 months. If you dose aimlessly it could be detrimental to your tank. I have heard that all the recommended amounts on the bottles are on the "high" side of dosing. I purchased my zeo products from Marine Aquaria here in Edmonton. I am sure they'll ship, I see them packaging up products all the time to ship.

Dez
01-04-2010, 03:40 AM
Just a few picture updates of some weird angle shots of my tank:

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3578.jpg?t=1262579915
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3579.jpg?t=1262579941
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3580.jpg?t=1262579966
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3581.jpg?t=1262579985
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3582.jpg?t=1262580010

Thanks for looking.

lobsterboy
01-04-2010, 03:52 AM
hey des, are you using spur2 ? if so how much and how frequent.

those pics look great.

Dez
01-04-2010, 03:59 AM
hey des, are you using spur2 ? if so how much and how frequent.

those pics look great.

John, no spur2. Just zeobak, zeofood7 (Wednesdays/Sundays). Zeostart2 daily.

Amino Acids Coral (every other day), sponge power and coral vitalizer every day. (All these at less then half of recommended dosage.

I just started using K balance on less then half recommended dosage as well. Only for a few days. (Not the strong stuff, just regular)

lobsterboy
01-04-2010, 04:39 AM
great colors without the use of spur.

i too started k+ again, after a slump of about a month.

Delphinus
01-04-2010, 08:39 AM
Do you notice a difference with the K-balance?

Dez
01-04-2010, 02:03 PM
Do you notice a difference with the K-balance?

Honestly Tony, NO. The only reason I started using it was because I thought I saw some colour on the stupid KZ potassium test kit. That test kit is a joke. And since I don't dose potassium, I figured I'd try it a little bit just to keep the potassium up. I'll keep you updated though as it's only been a few days.

christyf5
01-04-2010, 03:16 PM
Honestly Tony, NO. The only reason I started using it was because I thought I saw some colour on the stupid KZ potassium test kit. That test kit is a joke. And since I don't dose potassium, I figured I'd try it a little bit just to keep the potassium up. I'll keep you updated though as it's only been a few days.

ya, that test kit definitely could use some help. Keep dosing though (a little bit like you're already doing) its amazing the colors you'll see eventually.

Dez
01-04-2010, 03:46 PM
ya, that test kit definitely could use some help. Keep dosing though (a little bit like you're already doing) its amazing the colors you'll see eventually.

Thanks Christy, sometimes I wonder if the stuff I dose into my tank even does anything, so your comments are very encouraging. It feels like often times I'm just throwing money away into drops that I put into my tank without knowing if there are any positive results. Then I think, at least my tank is growing and not dead, so I feel better.

christyf5
01-04-2010, 04:45 PM
Thanks Christy, sometimes I wonder if the stuff I dose into my tank even does anything, so your comments are very encouraging. It feels like often times I'm just throwing money away into drops that I put into my tank without knowing if there are any positive results. Then I think, at least my tank is growing and not dead, so I feel better.

LOL, yes, not dead is good. I found that dosing potassium was a crapshoot as well, my kit said my potassium was "fine" but I did dose it anyways (even though I do weekly waterchanges) and I found slowly but surely things just looked better. I still dose it sporadically (JasonMcK had issues with it years ago so I'm a bit touchy with it now just in case) without running any zeo regimen (except for the occasional shot of coral snow and coral vitalizer) and I still think I get better PE and color while using it.

Lance
01-04-2010, 04:52 PM
Dez, your growth and colour are terrific! Whatever you're doing, you're doing it right my man.

Dez
01-04-2010, 06:21 PM
Dez, your growth and colour are terrific! Whatever you're doing, you're doing it right my man.

Thanks Lance,

I still feel very inexperienced compared to many. Just trying to learn more and enjoy it daily :). Thanks for the nice comments.

Des

Dez
01-17-2010, 04:57 AM
Here are some random shots that a took a few weeks ago. Haven't taken much for pictures lately, but I did get a few new fish. I have a majestic angel in my tank now, he's a model citizen (for now....I hope this not to be true though). I also added a couple of royal grammas and a leopard wrasse. The leopard wrasse tends to like to kick up sand once in a while which is kind of annoying. Anyway, here are the pictures:

A Squamosa that I've had for a while now. I thought he was a goner in November, then I found a bunch of pyramid snails under him, picked them all off and then "toothbrushed" it. I left it for 12 days looking horrible while I was on vacation, and when I came back, he looked 100%. I've since checked every other clam to make sure that there are no pyramid snails.
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3584.jpg?t=1263707307

Snappy's rainbow stylo. It has noticeable growth since I've gotton it. The dark green has really lightened up under it in my tank.
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3585.jpg?t=1263707437

A fast growing blue tipped milli with a gold maxima and a squamosa clam:
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3588.jpg?t=1263707516

Random top down. The 2 frags are from lobster boy (pink pocci and a yellow acro). I picked up the green stag with blue tips from a friend a while ago. I really like that piece.
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3589.jpg?t=1263707565

Green A. Humulis I believe. Don't really know how to spell it.
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3590.jpg?t=1263707647

Snappy's blue polyped birdsnest. Interesting because the polyps turned pink in my tank. They had blue polyps in Snappy's tank for 5 years and now half of his colony has green polyps. Maybe we should name this the "mystery coloured polyp birdsnest.
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3591.jpg?t=1263707705

Thanks for looking.

the marine apprentice
01-17-2010, 05:09 AM
lookin good dez i like the birdsnest in the last pic. how are all the new fish doin?

Delphinus
01-17-2010, 05:10 AM
Looks great. And thanks for posting. :)

Dez
01-18-2010, 03:53 AM
I decided to try some fish pictures tonight. It's definitely a lot harder to take pictures of fish than corals.

McKosker's Flasher Wrasse
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3621.jpg?t=1263789691

Majestic Angel (Picked this guy up from Gold's while I was in Calgary for Snappy's Frag meet). Price of this guy is 1/3 of what it'd be in Edmonton. Crazy. She's eating like a pig and not touching any clams or corals. Kids named it Sunset.
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3622.jpg?t=1263789728

Leopard Wrasse (Keeping my fingers crossed on this one. No one is bothering him, but he's not eating. I special ordered him through Marine Aquaria so I couldn't really not take him so I took my chances. Hopefully he eats soon. He has taken mysis and then spit it out. I might have to try live brine if doesn't eat this week). Kids named him Spotty
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3624.jpg?t=1263789838

Fathead Anthias (This guy isn't eating either but from my research it says they are slow to start eating). I've only had him for 3 days - same as the leopard wrasse). Nobody is bothering him either. Kids named him peachy.
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3625.jpg?t=1263789955

Falco Hawkfish. One of my first fish added. Real character. Just likes to perch and eats like a pig. Kids named him Spiky.
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3626.jpg?t=1263790073

Spotted Green Mandarin Goby. Just got him 3 days ago. My tank has been up for 5 months now so I figure it's safe to add one now. I'll always see pods in my frag tank, so my fingers are crossed. He has a heart shaped pattern on his back, unique so that's why I couldn't resist.
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3627.jpg?t=1263790132
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3638.jpg?t=1263790243

Yellow tang. One of my first fish added from a fellow canreef member. I actually have 2 yellow tangs. From 2 different canreef members. This one is the smaller of the 2. They both spend most of the day grazing the rocks. It's a poorly lit picture, sorry.
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3628.jpg?t=1263790263

Last picture for now. Yellow canary wrasse. This guy is tiny, but eats like a pig. I like him, such a different yellow compared to my yellow tangs.
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3634.jpg?t=1263790367

Thanks for looking.

Carmen
01-18-2010, 04:02 AM
GREAT fish pics Dez. Love the Flasher wrasse!!! WOW!

lastlight
01-18-2010, 04:31 AM
ok so there IS a wrasse I really like...gorgeous! Quite the overall collection you have there now Dez. You have lucky kids =)

Dez
01-18-2010, 04:35 AM
Yeah, that flasher wrasse is amazing isn't it? He just goes back and forth swimming around and flashing his gorgeous colours. Much better in person! Thanks for the nice comments Carmen and Brett! I never really paid too much attention to the fish for a while until now - since I have some more interesting fish. Before I would always just stare at the corals, but now I can stare at both :biggrin: What an enjoyable hobby.

lastlight
01-18-2010, 04:38 AM
What kind of footprint do these wrasses need in your opinion? I'm build either a 30x30x18 or 30x30x24 and would love to have one. It seems as though my Kole dreams will die...

Dez
01-18-2010, 04:43 AM
Hey Brett,

Here's what I found online, they aren't a big fish so I think your tank should suffice. But you might not want to listen to me, I lean more toward the "more fish in a tank" kind of guy. But then again I do weekly waterchanges no matter what to keep the water quality up and I feed like 4 times a day if I can. So it's not the traditional school of thought.

Anyway, here's the info on the wrasse:

The McCosker's Flasher Wrasse is an attractive reef-safe wrasse sure to be the star of your aquarium. This hardy wrasse species adapts well to established home aquariums, making it a beautiful and active addition. The vibrantly colored male McCosker's Flasher Wrasse is predominantly red/orange with blue, horizontal stripes that complement its yellow stomach. The orange dorsal fin is accented with red, yellow, and blue and features a single elongated ray. A gorgeous, red band across the orange anal fin creates an impressive and bold color palette. The female coloration and overall appearance is more subdued. The females also do not feature the large dorsal and anal fins.
The McCosker's Flasher Wrasse requires a 55 gallon aquarium (or larger) with a tight-fitting lid since it is a jumper. Often found along reef slopes and rubble zones, the McCosker's Flasher Wrasse will often swim near the bottom and tends to form small groups where a male swims back and forth between groups of females. The colors of an adult male intensifies during courtship and he may flare or "flash" his fins to attract females. At this time, we are only able to obtain and offer male McCosker's Flasher Wrasse. We recommend only one male per aquarium display.

The McCosker's Flasher Wrasse diet should include vitamin enriched frozen mysis shrimp, vitamin enriched frozen brine shrimp, and other meaty foods along with a high quality marine flake and marine pellet food.<

Dez
01-18-2010, 05:18 AM
Snapped another couple of pictures tonight. My wife is out so what better thing to do than to fiddle around with fish stuff. I hate sticking my hand in the tank cause I'm paranoid of my body's natural oils going into the tank. It also causes the skimmer's foam column to go down to nothing, so I try not to stick my hands in my tank unless necessary. So picture taking it was.

One of my fastest growing colonies - Bluish Pinkish Milli. Just for size reference, the larger clam is 4 - 5" and the Twinspot Hog fish swimming under it is about 4-5 inches.
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3640.jpg?t=1263795206

Pink Pocci
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3641.jpg?t=1263795291

Green Slimer
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3642.jpg?t=1263795319

My 2 yellow tangs and mystery wrasse
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3643.jpg?t=1263795350

My clownfish. They sort of host in the Green Star Polyps and the flower pot right behind it. The flower pot isn't showing polyp extension because my halides had shut off already by the time I took this picture. Once the halides go off, the flower pot goes to sleep.
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3644.jpg?t=1263795383

Thanks for looking.

simplycoral
01-18-2010, 05:25 AM
Looks great Dez! :biggrin:

That Pocci is looking very healthy. They are one coral that i can never seem to keep happy :neutral:

Lobsterboy should reconize that one :biggrin:

Simon..

Dez
01-18-2010, 05:31 AM
Looks great Dez! :biggrin:

That Pocci is looking very healthy. They are one coral that i can never seem to keep happy :neutral:

Lobsterboy should reconize that one :biggrin:

Simon..

Simon,

I didn't realize that you originally got that pocci from lobsterboy. It's grown some, then it fell into my hammer while I was gone for 12 days. And now it's back on the growth path :biggrin: It turned a lot deeper pink in my tank hey?

Leah
01-18-2010, 12:47 PM
Wow Dez!
Everything looks amazing! I am in awe, how many fish you have in there now?

Leah

Dez
01-18-2010, 03:16 PM
Wow Dez!
Everything looks amazing! I am in awe, how many fish you have in there now?

Leah

Thanks for the comments Leah. I'm kind of afraid to tell you how many fish I have in there in fear that I'll get flamed. I believe I have 26 fish in there. I have about 320 gallon in water volume and I'm a stickler for water regular water changes to keep the water quality up. I feed about 4 times a day if I can to keep the health of the fish. Nobody squabbles in there except that the regal chases the majestic once in a while, but never picks on him or bites him.

3 x scissortail bar gobies
2 x Chromis
2 x Yellow Tang
Mystery Wrasse
McKosker's Flasher wrasse
Multicolored Wrasse
Solorensis Wrasse
Twin Spot Hog Fish
Canary Wrasse
Majestic angel
Flame Angel
Coral Beauty
3 x False Percula Clownfish
Falco Hawkfish
Fathead Anthias
Mandarin Goby
2 x Royal Gramma
Regal Tang
Leopard Wrasse

Leah
01-18-2010, 03:23 PM
You have a Regal, now I am really, really jealous! I have a thing for Clarions and Regals.

Skimmerking
01-18-2010, 04:00 PM
:razz: What the heck DEZ you have to many fish you meanie shame on you im telling the tang police

Dez
01-18-2010, 04:02 PM
See Leah, I told you I'd get flamed :sad:

Skimmerking
01-18-2010, 04:06 PM
if you only knew how many fish i have in my 150 gal lol and you will never know:mrgreen:

Leah
01-18-2010, 04:07 PM

I seem to have a knack for that.....................Sorry Dez!

BlueTang<3
01-19-2010, 03:10 AM
thanks dez for letting us come over tonight and wow this tank looks even better in person great colours super clean system :biggrin:

Dez
01-19-2010, 04:14 AM
thanks dez for letting us come over tonight and wow this tank looks even better in person great colours super clean system :biggrin:

No problem Wes, andytime. It was a joy and pleasure. Talk to you soon.

fishytime
01-19-2010, 04:35 AM

I wouldnt flame Dez for too many fish:whistle:....sweet pics btw...

lastlight
01-19-2010, 04:39 AM
Hmm...maybe I *can* get a Kole in my cube. I think the police will have their hands full here haha!

lobsterboy
01-19-2010, 07:00 AM
Dez that pocci looks way way better in your tank. wicked job on that one.

kien
01-19-2010, 09:40 AM
Love that wrasse! I'm pretty sure I'm overstocked as well and probably most of Canreef is too for that matter. A lot of people are just in denial about it :lol:

Leah
01-19-2010, 12:11 PM
No, No, not me! I need more fish! :lol:

BlueTang<3
01-19-2010, 01:52 PM
i am too but its may way of buying more ok honey if i buy this bubble king skimmer you can get another fish and if i buy this zeo reactor 2 more haha works like a charm :lol:

Delphinus
01-19-2010, 05:24 PM
So what IS the risk with majestics then? I thought I read it was SPS that they might go after. Is that the same as what you've read on them Dez? FWIW, all I could find on ulietensis butterflies was sketchy at best and they were model citizens for a month before I discovered what their tastes really were, so I'm curious how this works out for you after that magical month mark. Please keep us updated if you notice him nipping at anything. I hope it doesn't happen of course, but if it does please let us know about it. I've always wanted one of those as well.

Dez
01-19-2010, 07:16 PM
So what IS the risk with majestics then? I thought I read it was SPS that they might go after. Is that the same as what you've read on them Dez? FWIW, all I could find on ulietensis butterflies was sketchy at best and they were model citizens for a month before I discovered what their tastes really were, so I'm curious how this works out for you after that magical month mark. Please keep us updated if you notice him nipping at anything. I hope it doesn't happen of course, but if it does please let us know about it. I've always wanted one of those as well.

I was more worried about my clams and LPS with them. I had the majestic in my frag tank for a few days before I introduced him into my display. Never nipped at my frags and was only interested in food. I have 5 clams in my tank and some nice brains/hammers. So I'm still keeping my fingers crossed. I'll definitely let you know if he nips. You'll know cause he'll be up for sale :biggrin:

saltynuts
02-01-2010, 04:13 AM
i think i am going to do a drive by fragging. man that saltynuts stag looks good.

andestang
02-01-2010, 07:23 AM
Looking great Dez ! Is the Fathead Anthias & Leopard wrasse eating now ? Loved my Fathead when I had one & I seem to really like Leopard wrasse's now, thinking of adding one with my Mystery.

Dez
02-01-2010, 01:11 PM
i think i am going to do a drive by fragging. man that saltynuts stag looks good.

If you think that salynuts stag looks good, wait till you see the saltynuts birdsnest and acro that I got from you! Come by sometime when your nano is set up and I can get you some frags. (That's if you're doing sps).

Dez
02-01-2010, 01:13 PM
Looking great Dez ! Is the Fathead Anthias & Leopard wrasse eating now ? Loved my Fathead when I had one & I seem to really like Leopard wrasse's now, thinking of adding one with my Mystery.

Unfortunately the leopard wrasse did not make it. He passed on while I was on vacation for a week this last week.:cry: However, the fathead Anthias is eating quite well now. He fins were looking rough when we got her, but after vacation she looks really great and is eating! I'm sad about the wrasse though - not sure if I'll try another one yet though cause every now and then the wrasse would kick up a sandstorm and I didn't like that too much.

saltynuts
02-01-2010, 03:55 PM
yuppers fuzzy sticks.

whatcaneyedo
02-07-2010, 05:09 AM
I just spent the last hour skimming through all of the pictures and many of the comments in this thread. I cant believe its less than a year old! Very epic.

JDigital
02-07-2010, 05:27 AM
Tank is looking great Dez... I HAD a McCoskers in my tank, but I'm pretty sure my 6line stressed him to death.. He's been MIA for over a month now.. Sorry to hear about your Leopard.

Corals are looking awesome too!

The Grizz
02-07-2010, 05:31 AM
HOLLY CRAP DEZ!!! That is one amazing tank build. Love the way you did the MD with the picture frame window and back cabinet. I gave me some great idea's dude. Thanks for sending me the link to your thread.

Chase31
02-07-2010, 05:33 AM
Grizz this tank is nothing like in the pictures. in person it is amazing, even more then amazing, the pictures do not give it justice

The Grizz
02-07-2010, 05:36 AM
Grizz this tank is nothing like in the pictures. in person it is amazing, even more then amazing, the pictures do not give it justice
That is pretty much the consences on all tanks that I have seen in person. Carmen's, sharuq1, globaldesigns and coleus's tanks all look so much better in person.

Dez
02-07-2010, 07:18 AM
I just spent the last hour skimming through all of the pictures and many of the comments in this thread. I cant believe its less than a year old! Very epic.

Thanks for the comments. Wow, sorry to have drained an hour of your life that you'll never get back :redface: I too can't believe that this whole process happened so fast. It's been less then 6 months since I've had rock/good salt water in the tank. Crazy.

Dez
02-07-2010, 07:20 AM
Tank is looking great Dez... I HAD a McCoskers in my tank, but I'm pretty sure my 6line stressed him to death.. He's been MIA for over a month now.. Sorry to hear about your Leopard.

Corals are looking awesome too!

It is too bad about the leopard. My mystery wrasse went MIA as well :sad: Sometimes it's just weird, a fish is fat and healthy, and then...just gone. My McCoskers is really bold and always in the open water "flashing". I really like him.

Dez
02-07-2010, 07:21 AM
HOLLY CRAP DEZ!!! That is one amazing tank build. Love the way you did the MD with the picture frame window and back cabinet. I gave me some great idea's dude. Thanks for sending me the link to your thread.

Thanks for the nice words. Hopefully you can use some of those ideas as that's what I've done with most of my build is to take ideas here and there and customize them :biggrin:

Dez
02-07-2010, 07:22 AM

Thank you Chase.

whatcaneyedo
02-07-2010, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the comments. Wow, sorry to have drained an hour of your life that you'll never get back :redface: I too can't believe that this whole process happened so fast. It's been less then 6 months since I've had rock/good salt water in the tank. Crazy.

Maybe after 50 pages a quick summary and picture collage is needed to save time for future browsers? ... just a thought.

Dez
02-09-2010, 03:08 AM
Well, just a few pictures here and there:

Here is a frag that I got on Oct 06, 09
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3269.jpg?t=1265687274
This is a picture taken Jan 22, 10. Pretty good for 3 and a 1/2 months of growth. I rescued it just in time as it was pretty much touching both sides of the rock. If I had waited any longer, it would have been stuck there or I'd have to break it to get it out. I like the colour of it so I moved it so it can grow out more.
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3647.jpg?t=1265687424

Here it is in the new location. You'll see it in a full tank shot later
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3657.jpg?t=1265687599

This is a saltynuts frag that I got, picture taken Sept 22, 09
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3196.jpg?t=1265687657

This is a picture taken today, so roughly 4 1/2 months of growth:
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3664.jpg?t=1265687760

Here's a saltynuts birdsnest Sept 22, 09 (sorry - cell phone pic)
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_0476.jpg?t=1265687886

Picture today - 4 1/2 months growth
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3671.jpg?t=1265688566

Birdsnest Frag (pic taken Oct 18, 09)
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3520.jpg?t=1265688191

Picture taken today (Less than 4 months growth)
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3659.jpg?t=1265688679

Pocci frag (pic taken Dec 22, 09)
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3537.jpg?t=1265688373

Picture taken today (about 1 1/2 months growth)
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt88/des_sublime/IMG_3667.jpg?t=1265688474

More random pictures to follow. Thanks for looking.