PDA

View Full Version : Difference: True Percula vs False Percula

Werbo
03-19-2009, 08:48 PM
What's the difference between a "True" compared to a "False" percula?
Just the $50 price difference?

Myka
03-19-2009, 08:57 PM
They are different species. False perc is Amphiprion oscellaris and True perc is Amphiprion percula. True percs usually have thicker black bands which widen and darken as they age, and have fewer rays in their dorsal fins than False percs do. True percs are generally nicer colored. Do a Google Image Search for "True Percula" and "Oscellaris", and you will see a dramatic difference in coloring. Sometimes they are difficult to tell apart when they are young though, as the coloring of both fish increases with age. There shouldn't be a $50 price difference. True Percs should cost about $35-40, and Oscellaris about $18-25. Black clowns often cost $50-60, and are always Oscellaris no matter what someone might want to try to tell you because true black True Percs do not exist.

TheMikey
03-20-2009, 12:32 AM
I debated this exact same thing when I was deciding which percs to get.

In the end I went for Oc./False perculas because I preferred the orange on the sides vs. the black-dominated true percs.

chandigz
03-20-2009, 04:13 AM
The only reason I could see for the price difference is if one was captive bread.(ORA maybe)

Myka
03-20-2009, 04:55 AM
The price difference is availability and wild population numbers, which oddly enough coincide. ;) :D

You can get ORA Oscellaris and Percs.

kelbri
03-25-2009, 03:42 PM
I know from J&L in Winnipeg, the online price is the same whether you get true or false (if I am reading their options right). I would think the price difference would be as stated, captive bred or wild caught.

Personally, I like the false better also because of the coloring. That's what I'm going with in a couple weeks once I get my tank set up :biggrin: