PDA

View Full Version : Can long tentacle anenomes eat fish?

supersmile
03-19-2009, 02:54 PM
I just bought 2 bangaii cardinals 2 days ago and yesterday I came home and one was already gone and the other one was laying by the anenome and the anenome was reaching for it......I went away for a few minutes and came back and the fish was gone! I am thinking the anenome stung them to death and then ate them! Hmm maybe it is time to get rid of the anenome? I am not very happy.

Drock169
03-19-2009, 03:14 PM
Bangaii cardinals are probably the only cardinal's that can handle stings from anemones, they hang around them in the wild usually being chased away by clownfish.

subman
03-19-2009, 03:47 PM
yes anenomes can and will eat fish!

banditpowdercoat
03-19-2009, 03:51 PM
My banggai lives in my LTA with my 2 clowns no problem. BUT, I have had my LTA eat a Sea hare the size of a Squash ball.

supersmile
03-19-2009, 04:50 PM
I would have never thought an anenome would eat fish! Not to mention I have 2 LTA's because one of mine split and they are both quite large. Now I am questioning what I should do? I am worried if I get rid of the anenome then my clowns will be lost because they host in them??? Are bubble tip anenome's the safer route to go?

Marlin65
03-19-2009, 05:30 PM
clowns don't need anemones to survive in captivity.
I have three pairs and no anemones. If you want to have them to host a frog spawn or large toadstool is a great alternative. I would not recommend the bubble mine rubbed the one I had until it died. Large mushrooms or hammer work as well.