PDA

View Full Version : Berlin skimmer good???

banditpowdercoat
03-19-2009, 06:20 AM
I'm looking at a tank from a old "boss" of mine. It's a 150g. But he has a 'Berlin triple pass' skimmer. Its a external, with inlet in bottom, and 2 outlets up just below the collection cup. Are these decient skimmers? Hes running this of a external pump. Not sure the make. It's about the only thing of the setup I am not familliar with.

RuGlu6
03-19-2009, 06:28 AM
Berlin skimmer was considered good about 10 years ago.
Now i would not bother with it.
Cons:
Air ventury is getting plugged quickly completely bringing skimming to the halt
noisy pumps
low air l/hr capasity
high energy consumption
sump level sensitivity is high

banditpowdercoat
03-19-2009, 03:52 PM
Hmm, well. It's part of the package, so I will be taking it. He has it mounted up on a shelf, 4ft up, with a pump pumping from sump up to to, So sump levels shouldnt matter then, right?

Marlin65
03-19-2009, 05:34 PM
I ran one years ago and it worked okay for me it does need some looking after though as far as ajusting it. It will not be a set and forget about skimmer.

fkshiu
03-19-2009, 06:21 PM
Hmm, well. It's part of the package, so I will be taking it. He has it mounted up on a shelf, 4ft up, with a pump pumping from sump up to to, So sump levels shouldnt matter then, right?

It will still matter. Sump water level will determine how much water the feed pump pushes. Any slight variation in the amount of water it sits in will fluctuate pump output.