PDA

View Full Version : Flame Scallop

slakker
03-19-2009, 03:17 AM
Over a year old!!! Woo Hoo... must be close to some record... :mrgreen:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3043/3367193636_4910a35745_o.jpg

wgama
03-19-2009, 03:18 AM
What do you feed this "record breaking" flame scallop?

Delphinus
03-19-2009, 03:18 AM
Neat! Do you do anything to promote its longevity?

slakker
03-19-2009, 03:29 AM
I bought it early in the hobby. I set up my tank last year in January and got it Feb... so I didn't know these little guys are better left in the wild, but since I had him, might as well see what i could do...

I keep him away from direct light. He was under a perfect perch in the front of the tank and my clarkii kept bugging him, so he squirted into mid tank. I can still see him though...

I dose phyto, reef roids and Sponge Power from Zeo... My nitrate is slightly high @ around 25 ppm but other parameters are as recommended. I also use Marine Snow from Zeo but that probably has nothing to do with it...

xtreme
03-19-2009, 05:23 AM
How often do you feed the phyto?

slakker
03-19-2009, 05:32 AM
Pretty randomly... about once every week or so...

Myka
03-19-2009, 08:41 PM
Lots of newbies have success for the first while with difficult to keep big eater critters like starfish, scallops, goniporas, gorgonians, etc because newbies aren't so good at keeping the nutrients down in their tanks just yet. As the reef keeper gets better at this, the critter usually dies, but ALAS!! the rest of the tank looks great! :)

Nice scallop though! Great coloring. :D

slakker
03-20-2009, 02:28 AM
The only thing I have no luck with are SPS, which is no surprise. But so far so good with other livestock. It's funny cause my buddy who got me into this hobbie brings stuff over to my tank to "recover"... hahahaha.... usually it's his clams and LPSs.

Myka
03-20-2009, 03:25 AM
The only thing I have no luck with are SPS, which is no surprise. But so far so good with other livestock. It's funny cause my buddy who got me into this hobbie brings stuff over to my tank to "recover"... hahahaha.... usually it's his clams and LPSs.

When your scallop kicks the bucket, you will likely have better success with SPS. Weird how things work sometimes... :)