PDA

View Full Version : Is there a Salt Aquarium Society in Calgary? I'll start one...

Jay180reef
03-18-2009, 06:37 PM
Anyone know if there is a Calgary reef/salt/fowlr society or club?

I'd be keen to get it started if not....

xtreme
03-18-2009, 06:46 PM
I was just wondering that myself this morning. I don't think there is but I agree, we should have one.

Ephraim
03-18-2009, 06:53 PM
Canreef is the salt aquarium society pretty much. CAS doesnt really do much.

BC564
03-18-2009, 06:54 PM
If you start one...I will just be forced to join.....where do I sign up?

Jay180reef
03-18-2009, 07:01 PM
Sweet, ya lets do this. Canreef is obviously the place for info and interacting, but I'd love to do tank tours around the city, get together regularly to talk reef, and trade/share stuff.

Ideas for a name?
Calgary Reef Club
Calgary Reef Society
Calgary Salt Water Aquarium Enthusiasts ...etc

Members so far
Jay180reef
xtreme
BC564

Treebeard
03-18-2009, 07:14 PM
Sounds like a great idea, especially if any of the local vendors care to step up and offer 15% discounts to card carrying members of the society...:wink:

xtreme
03-18-2009, 07:15 PM
Sounds like a great idea, especially if any of the local vendors care to step up and offer 15% discounts to card carrying members of the society...:wink:

Now there is a great idea.:biggrin:

digital-audiophile
03-18-2009, 07:15 PM
I'd be down.

Jay180reef
03-18-2009, 07:25 PM
Ya, definitely thinking about sponsors. I was browsing reefcentral and they have t shirts and golf shirts so I'd be interested in getting a design made up for on shirts and mugs etc.

I can't seem to find any official Calgary reef clubs or societies out there so I think we're clear to start it up. Maybe Tony or another CR staff can chime in and confirm if there's no other club of this kind.

Updated Memberlist
Jay180reef
xtreme
BC564
Treebeard
digital-audiophile

details to follow....

Frenchie
03-18-2009, 07:30 PM
Im in!

fooser
03-18-2009, 07:43 PM
That would be interesting, and maybe at the same time get the hobby more well known. I wouldn't mind seeing that happen.

Jay180reef
03-18-2009, 08:17 PM
I've been doing research about naming and other marine clubs across North America. These are the common names:

Reef Club
Marine Aquarist Society
Aquarists Association
Saltwater enthusiasts
Reef Aquarium Club
Reef Society
Reef Keepers
Reef Caretakers

Of them all, I think simple is better, and I think the best names are:

1st Calgary Reef Keepers

2nd Calgary Reef Club

lobsterboy
03-18-2009, 09:11 PM
count me in big time.

Patrick1
03-18-2009, 10:57 PM
The Mongooses thats a good name for a club. The Fighting Mongooses....

FlamesFan
03-18-2009, 11:01 PM
if there was a place to hold mini frag swaps where people could bring a 10g and trade frags then im in ;)

lots of groups in the states do this kinda thing. Id like to see what this idea grows into.

Ephraim
03-18-2009, 11:03 PM
are you sure that is the correct plural of mongoose?

Patrick1
03-18-2009, 11:09 PM
are you sure that is the correct plural of mongoose?

It was from Futurama..

es355lucille
03-18-2009, 11:52 PM
I would be interested. I am from Cochrane......not many reefers out this way to join with.

Brad

Jay180reef
03-19-2009, 12:06 AM
Awesome, thanks for the interest. I'm taking note of everyone who's interested and I'll pm you with details.

People interested in joining the club
Jay180reef
xtreme
BC564
Treebeard
digital-audiophile
Frenchie
fooser
lobsterboy
FlamesFan
es355lucille

Delphinus
03-19-2009, 12:13 AM
I'd be interested.

I tried to get this off the ground a few years ago but the idea didn't take. Not to be too big a sourpuss or anything but once you start talking about formalizing and having club executives and bylaws and AGM's people start to cool to the idea after a while. At the time I was willing to do all that, because if we did have a club like that, then we can try to host a MACNA one day (maybe that's like 10 years from now though, but if we don't plant the seed, it will never happen). But now that I have two kids, I'm not down for all that anymore. :lol: I'll throw my support behind any intiative we do come up with even if it IS a "let's just get together every so often and hang out and gawk at tanks or swap frags" but even for something more, if someone's willing to do the leg work I'll put my name down for it for sure. We could even try to see if we could ally ourselves with CAS, there might be some benefit to that.

Anyhow, colour me interested in the idea.

my2rotties
03-19-2009, 12:20 AM
Me too...

es355lucille
03-19-2009, 12:53 AM
I think if you try to formalize this too soon it will be just has you are mentioning Delphinus. Right now I am looking for a group that is looking to get together with ideas, frag swaps, coffee, beer whatever....there seems to be a lot of interest. I thinks its like you said though, in the future with enough people I can see it as non-profit club. Thoughts?

I'd be interested.

I tried to get this off the ground a few years ago but the idea didn't take. Not to be too big a sourpuss or anything but once you start talking about formalizing and having club executives and bylaws and AGM's people start to cool to the idea after a while. At the time I was willing to do all that, because if we did have a club like that, then we can try to host a MACNA one day (maybe that's like 10 years from now though, but if we don't plant the seed, it will never happen). But now that I have two kids, I'm not down for all that anymore. :lol: I'll throw my support behind any intiative we do come up with even if it IS a "let's just get together every so often and hang out and gawk at tanks or swap frags" but even for something more, if someone's willing to do the leg work I'll put my name down for it for sure. We could even try to see if we could ally ourselves with CAS, there might be some benefit to that.

Anyhow, colour me interested in the idea.

Jay180reef
03-19-2009, 01:02 AM
Thanks for the support Tony, I hear what you're saying about how clubs die after the initial hype is over. I struggled with that issue when I started the University of Calgary Outdoor Club a few years back when I was in school. Luckily it's still doing well, but not as strong as the 500 members we had in the first few years.

I'm aware of what needs to be done, and I also know what works and what doesn't for the club to survive long term.

Here are my ideas:

Build a small website - nothing fancy, just club info and event info (we all use CanReef for our reef info!)
Get swag made - t shirts/golf shirt/hats/stickers
Set up a schedule of events - nothing fancy - tank tours, frag swaps, group frag orders etc.
Attempt (sigh) to find sponsors or discounts

Jay180reef
03-19-2009, 01:11 AM
Agreed, I'm not a fan of all the administrative formalities, I just want to get people connected.

I propose the first get together this Sunday at my place for coffee. Drop by between 11am and 2pm, and I'll get it started by showing my 1 year old 180 gallon reef.

5471 Patina Dr SW

pm me with your RSVP

Jason

I think if you try to formalize this too soon it will be just has you are mentioning Delphinus. Right now I am looking for a group that is looking to get together with ideas, frag swaps, coffee, beer whatever....there seems to be a lot of interest. I thinks its like you said though, in the future with enough people I can see it as non-profit club. Thoughts?

mik
03-19-2009, 01:27 AM
hey can Lacombe people join? if so i'm in

karazy
03-19-2009, 01:47 AM
im thinkin about joinin this group...

Jay, you live at patina drive? I live at patina park homie! Those grey condos with the big hill behind them.

Lydia
03-19-2009, 02:11 AM
Here are my ideas:

Build a small website - nothing fancy, just club info and event info (we all use CanReef for our reef info!)
Get swag made - t shirts/golf shirt/hats/stickers
Set up a schedule of events - nothing fancy - tank tours, frag swaps, group frag orders etc.
Attempt (sigh) to find sponsors or discounts

Just an idea - meetup.com might be a good way to get this going. They give you webspace, all you need is someone to be the 'organizer', and it's very informal. You post events, locations, etc. You can meet anywhere, and swap frags regularly, post pics, or whatever you want to do.

my2rotties
03-19-2009, 02:37 AM
I'm in Bragg and you know you are welcome anytime... just take allergy pills for my dogs.:wink:

I would be interested. I am from Cochrane......not many reefers out this way to join with.

Brad

ColinD
03-19-2009, 02:58 AM
Definitely interested

Colin

KissMyWrasse
03-19-2009, 03:14 AM
I am interested as well :smile:

Red Coral Aquariums
03-19-2009, 03:25 AM

UHH HMMM that would mean me. LOL Count me in on some discount. Have to think about it though.
Kevin

globaldesigns
03-19-2009, 03:45 AM
I am in, let me know what is happening next

Trigger Man
03-19-2009, 04:39 AM
I don't join many groups unless it is sports, but I'm interested in this. I don't have much extra time for the next few months being that I am starting a new business venture and getting married, but after that things should settle down.

Jay180reef
03-19-2009, 05:03 AM
hey can Lacombe people join? if so i'm in

Absolutely!

Jay180reef
03-19-2009, 05:04 AM
im thinkin about joinin this group...

Jay, you live at patina drive? I live at patina park homie! Those grey condos with the big hill behind them.

No way! That's killer, want some chaeto? It's time to trim the bush!

Jay180reef
03-19-2009, 05:09 AM
UHH HMMM that would mean me. LOL Count me in on some discount. Have to think about it though.
Kevin

Alright Kevin! Thanks for offering some sort of discount! We'll definitely be in touch. I'll be showing off my zoas on Sunday that I got from the sale :)

I'll check out meetup.com tomorrow and set something up, sounds pretty simple and low maintenance.

Thanks for all the interest all, I'm compiling the list of people who want to join.

ElGuappo
03-19-2009, 05:44 AM
I am in aswell. cant make it this sun i dont think.

parkinsn
03-19-2009, 03:15 PM
This sounds like a great idea!!! I would be in for a tank tour as posted above :wink::wink:nudge nudge.... I want to see some of these big tanks that are in the city.

Glennrf38
03-19-2009, 04:02 PM
Sign me up.

RCFA
03-19-2009, 04:31 PM
Can't make it this sunday, but i'm interested as well.

Phanman
03-19-2009, 04:51 PM
id be interested in this as well :lol:

just an idea for names
Calgary Avid Reefers Society (CARS), lol. the acroynm isnt really fish related but couldnt think of anything else :P

Jay180reef
03-19-2009, 08:57 PM
Alright, here's the scoop:

We are officially

Calgary Reef Keepers

Basically, not much is going to change (trust me, this is good). Essentially, we're members already because of our online interactions at CanReef. So it's best we organizing any meetings, events right here in the Calgary forum.

I'm going to set up a website that will show off the logo (to be designed), who we are, feature our member's tanks, sell tshirts, golf shirts, mugs, hats etc that you can proudly wear while scraping algae. Most importantly, the site will link back to CanReef so Calgarians interested in the hobby can find the resources they need and connect with the network of people here.

I'd like some feedback about what you'd like to get out of this club, and I know there are a few of you who are dying to help organise events!

Jay180reef
03-19-2009, 09:05 PM
Here's a few ideas to get the creativity flowing for the logo:

Let's see some artwork! Think embroidered on a golf shirt or hat so not too intricate.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=89&pictureid=816

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=89&pictureid=817

lobsterboy
03-19-2009, 09:06 PM
i like the name, and i am a fan of golf shirts.

lobsterboy
03-19-2009, 09:09 PM
just seen the emblems, personally, i really like, the following as they are simple and easily recoginzed in the hobby. maybe like a seafan or some branching SPS, as they are easliy done. i dunno, its just M.O.

coral master;s coral emblem
Korallen zucht, coral emblem
frag factory, coral emblem.

Jay180reef
03-19-2009, 10:31 PM
sure, those are good ideas...let's see some designs.

I've registered calgaryreefkeepers.ca Anyone know where we can get some free web hosting? If not, I'll just get the godaddy.com hosting.

my2rotties
03-20-2009, 12:36 AM
Jay you are keeping so busy with this!!! I for sure want a ball cap and maybe we could do some monogrammed towels since we all need about a million towels in the hobby.

digital-audiophile
03-20-2009, 01:30 AM
LOL you don't waste any time.

fishytime
03-20-2009, 01:48 AM
I have hosted a swap before....not a huge one but....its great fun to meet some of the other reefers close by. I am in as well.

hummer
03-20-2009, 02:00 AM
Great idea! I am interested in joining.
I took a crack at a logo. Here's what I got.
Even though I just came up with this logo, I have this weird feeling I've seen it somewhere before...odd.

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/Calgary_Reef_Keeper1.jpg

wayner
03-20-2009, 02:41 AM
One Large Reefers Golf Shirt Please, and a Hat :biggrin:

Lydia
03-20-2009, 02:41 AM
Love the logo with the clownfish - I just bought my first one this month :)

lobsterboy
03-20-2009, 03:05 AM
yeah the one that looks like the hearld is cool.

hummer
03-20-2009, 03:26 AM
yeah the one that looks like the hearld is cool.

HAHA! YES!! Now I see why it seems so familiar to me. I just randomly picked a font that looked decent. Hilarious! Maybe I'll try another font.

Jay180reef
03-20-2009, 03:44 AM
Nice logo hummer! Thanks for stepping up fishytime, we'll definitely use your frag swap experience

Ian
03-20-2009, 03:50 AM
count me in as interested in this also......need An Alberta reef keepers ...then Calgary chapter, Edmonton chapter, Red Deer chapter all could form lol

lobsterboy
03-20-2009, 04:29 AM
i can be avaible for a tank tour if anyone wanted to come check out my tank sometime, its all good..
we could have pop and chips, :lol:

jalemboo
03-20-2009, 05:03 AM
count me in too!!!!!

karazy
03-20-2009, 06:01 AM
No way! That's killer, want some chaeto? It's time to trim the bush!

No need for cheato yet, as i haven't gotten my tank up yet, but i would love to see the tank.

Jay180reef
03-20-2009, 02:40 PM
http://calgaryreefkeepers.ca/ is alive!!! There's nothing there yet but it's alive!! Glennrf38 has offered his website building services to us, so thanks Glenn. We should have some content on the site by next week.

count me in as interested in this also......need An Alberta reef keepers ...then Calgary chapter, Edmonton chapter, Red Deer chapter all could form lol
Let's not get too excited until we have at least one meeting! :lol: I'm sure the interest is there, but we need a few reefkeepers to the north to step up if that's going to happen.

i can be avaible for a tank tour if anyone wanted to come check out my tank sometime, its all good..
we could have pop and chips, :lol:
Awesome, we'll start the schedule of tank tours right away. Most likely a Saturday or a Sunday in the near future. So wipe the salt creep off those tanks and clean your skimmer cups out, here we come!

No need for cheato yet, as i haven't gotten my tank up yet, but i would love to see the tank.
Definitely, hope to see you Sunday.

Frenchie
03-20-2009, 02:56 PM
I'll be there Sunday. I'd love to see the tank!

karazy
03-20-2009, 07:15 PM
sunday as in today or next sunday?

xtreme
03-20-2009, 07:26 PM
sunday as in today or next sunday?

Today is Friday?

karazy
03-20-2009, 07:27 PM
hahaha, your right. dang i shouldn't even be posting right after i wake up:lol:

Frenchie
03-20-2009, 07:28 PM
You just gained a whole weekend.

karazy
03-20-2009, 07:38 PM
i did. and i have today off too. woo!

ElGuappo
03-21-2009, 03:50 AM
so far my vote goes to the rabbit fish emblem. i agree that it needs to stay relatively simple for merchandising purposes.

Good to see im not the only one who drags his butt outta bed at 1.

Not this week however. couple of 16 hour work days in there.

my2rotties
03-21-2009, 04:49 AM
Hahaaa you are growing up to be just like your mentor... he is never at the store on time, he's a rock star!!! But we still love him. You going to be at the store this weekend?

karazy
03-21-2009, 04:58 AM
Hahaaa you are growing up to be just like your mentor... he is never at the store on time, he's a rock star!!! But we still love him. You going to be at the store this weekend?

hahaha, so true. but in a good way.

i'll be working at the store tomorrow from 12:00-5:30 :biggrin:

lobsterboy
03-21-2009, 05:01 AM
I asked my friend tona to help out with the logo, as i am not that good. heres what he came up with. i like the "CRK" one.
or the one with the three colors of corals.
let me know what you guys think, i know they are very simple but this mayb work.

http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr329/lobsterboy1000/reefkeepers.jpg

my2rotties
03-21-2009, 05:22 AM
So you are opening the store at noon, since he will be late:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Don't tell him I said that, he is going to kill me when he sees me tomorrow... I have to stop by there and see if he is still coming over. I don't even know your real name, I call you Mini C...

hahaha, so true. but in a good way.

i'll be working at the store tomorrow from 12:00-5:30 :biggrin:

my2rotties
03-21-2009, 05:23 AM
I like the colours on the very bottom right hand logo, great job... hoping for black shirts...

I asked my friend tona to help out with the logo, as i am not that good. heres what he came up with. i like the "CRK" one.
let me know what you guys think, i know they are very simple but this mayb work.

karazy
03-21-2009, 05:29 AM
haha. i wont tell.

BTW, my name is Evan :)

superduperwesman
03-21-2009, 08:54 AM
You just gained a whole weekend.

ahahah

Jay180reef
03-21-2009, 03:28 PM
Nice work, those are great! I like the 3 color one as well. I think we'll incorporate the sps, but we don't want to look like we only sell frags so maybe a reef dropoff silhouette and a fish or two should also be included?

lobsterboy
03-21-2009, 06:22 PM
yeah for sure, its all good.

little_c
03-21-2009, 10:17 PM
So you are opening the store at noon, since he will be late:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Hey! I was early today!

my2rotties
03-21-2009, 11:32 PM
Hahaaa you caught me red handed!!!:redface:

You big old ROCKSTAR!!! Embrace it, Frank sure does. You both have images to uphold.:lol: If you're late tomorrow I will find some green tripe for dinner...

Hey! I was early today!

karazy
03-23-2009, 01:09 AM
Thank you so much for setting this up Jay. I had alot of fun and im sure everyone else who went also had fun.

Your tank looks great and your cheato ball is huge! Again, so happy to have a reefer a block away :biggrin:

i cant wait for this club to get up and running!

here's some pics for people who weren't there:

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/001-10.jpg
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/002-8.jpg
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/003-13.jpg
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/004-8.jpghttp://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/005-9.jpg

lorenz0
03-23-2009, 02:30 AM
been watching this thread. as for the logo i vote the gold one, simple but with a bit of jazz with the 2 different type of text.

the multi-color one is ummm... something you would see on davie st in van-city lol

but great idea

lobsterboy
03-23-2009, 03:08 AM
Hey Jay, the tank looks sweet, i will have to make it next time.

Jay180reef
03-23-2009, 07:18 PM
Nice pics Evan, I'm glad you enjoyed the tank. Hope your tank is going well, let me know if you need any help with your build.

Jay

Thank you so much for setting this up Jay. I had alot of fun and im sure everyone else who went also had fun.

Your tank looks great and your cheato ball is huge! Again, so happy to have a reefer a block away :biggrin:

i cant wait for this club to get up and running!

here's some pics for people who weren't there:

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/001-10.jpg
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/002-8.jpg
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/003-13.jpg
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/004-8.jpghttp://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/karazy101/005-9.jpg

digital-audiophile
03-23-2009, 07:24 PM
Holy clean sand batman.

Jay180reef
03-23-2009, 07:44 PM
Thanks, the goby does a great job keeping the sand clean. Too bad he spits it all over the corals.

Jay180reef
03-24-2009, 12:25 AM
I came up with a few more logos this afternoon.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=89&pictureid=863

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=89&pictureid=864

karazy
03-24-2009, 12:39 AM
i really like the one with the butterfly fish!

looks easier for putting on stuff too

hummer
03-24-2009, 03:30 PM
I like the butterfly logo. It should look good on a white T-Shirt...or hoodie :biggrin:

Jay180reef
03-24-2009, 03:35 PM
so far the most popular logo, with 2 votes, is the CBB!

Treebeard
03-24-2009, 03:36 PM
Hmmm, bad idea. I think it is on a list somewhere.....:wink:

i really like the one with the butterfly fish!

christyf5
03-24-2009, 03:45 PM
Hmmm, bad idea. I think it is on a list somehere.....:wink:

:rofl:

Glennrf38
03-24-2009, 05:36 PM
Just to add my two cents worth. The background has the same colors as the website will have. Comments?

http://www.mytechno-weenie.com/possible.jpg

Without the text on the fish..... before anyone else mentions it........

parkinsn
03-24-2009, 05:57 PM
Hmmm, bad idea. I think it is on a list somewhere.....:wink:

Ya but its a yellow list no a red list so we should be ok :biggrin:

karazy
03-24-2009, 10:00 PM
Just to add my two cents worth. The background has the same colors as the website will have. Comments?

http://www.mytechno-weenie.com/possible.jpg

Without the text on the fish..... before anyone else mentions it........

IMO it would look too weird on a shirt or other merchandise.
i like the normal butterfly one because it's simple yet looks cool

Jay180reef
03-27-2009, 09:54 PM
Glenn and I are still working on the website.
I've started looking at t-shirts, hats, golf shirts, towels etc.

Any ideas where we want to get them? I know a good place for silkscreening and embroidery but I'm not really familiar with clothes suppliers. We could get cheap stuff or we could get nice stuff. Organic cottons vs made in china etc.

I'll ask around if any of our sponsors want to put a logo on them as well, then maybe they can help with the costs :)

Jay180reef
04-02-2009, 02:34 PM
Here's a better quality logo I drew up. The outer black box with the wavyness can be changed easily.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=89&pictureid=968

Comments please!

sitandwatch
04-02-2009, 02:51 PM
I like that one, It would look good on a sticker

BC564
04-02-2009, 02:59 PM
I like that one the best so far.....very good

xtreme
04-02-2009, 03:03 PM
Very nice! Has my vote.

BC564
04-02-2009, 03:05 PM
I have always liked Yellow and Black together....a sticker of that would look great on my Yellow and black hummer......lol

Phanman
04-02-2009, 03:07 PM
got my vote as well, that looks pretty sweet.

fishytime
04-02-2009, 03:28 PM
I like the last logo too.

Jay180reef
04-02-2009, 03:44 PM
Oh wow, what a response! I think we may have a logo :)

Alberta-newb
04-02-2009, 06:04 PM
Jay and Glenn,

Keep up the great job! It's great to see all the enthusiasm, goes a long way to a succesfull organization. :biggrin:

Love the logo! Keeping it to just a few basic colors (black, yellow, silver) will help keep swag costs down too, (the more colors and complexity the higher the cost for things like embroidery).

Count me in!

Francis

Trigger Man
04-02-2009, 07:57 PM
Great call on the last logo, looks good and is not to elaborate which keeps costs down. Do you guys have a place to make the gear yet? Depending on the quantity (of course the more the better) I've got a couple of companies that may be able do it with good quality clothing, (always important because you can buy cheap t-shirts etc, but if they shrink no one will wear them anymore) that I used back when I had retail stores for our private label gear.

Jay180reef
04-02-2009, 08:56 PM
Thanks!
We don't have a specific place picked to get the clothing made, would you mind finding out some prices/quantities for silkscreened white Tshirts & black tshirts, and embroidered white golf shirts and black golf shirts?

you can PM me with your results, thanks a bunch.

Great call on the last logo, looks good and is not to elaborate which keeps costs down. Do you guys have a place to make the gear yet? Depending on the quantity (of course the more the better) I've got a couple of companies that may be able do it with good quality clothing, (always important because you can buy cheap t-shirts etc, but if they shrink no one will wear them anymore) that I used back when I had retail stores for our private label gear.

Trigger Man
04-02-2009, 09:29 PM
Thanks!
We don't have a specific place picked to get the clothing made, would you mind finding out some prices/quantities for silkscreened white Tshirts & black tshirts, and embroidered white golf shirts and black golf shirts?

you can PM me with your results, thanks a bunch.

Do you have quantities you are thinking (i don't need sizes), I know that the price breaks tend to come at 72 units, 150ish units, 300 units etc. The t shirts can be combined for total units of t shirts, and the golf shirts can also be combined as total units of Golf shirts, but t shirts and Golf shirts can not be combined together.

Jay180reef
04-02-2009, 10:16 PM
Probably 75 Ts and 75 golf shirts.

Do you have quantities you are thinking (i don't need sizes), I know that the price breaks tend to come at 72 units, 150ish units, 300 units etc. The t shirts can be combined for total units of t shirts, and the golf shirts can also be combined as total units of Golf shirts, but t shirts and Golf shirts can not be combined together.

Trigger Man
04-02-2009, 11:57 PM
Probably 75 Ts and 75 golf shirts.

Can you email me the jpeg to chikkoskateandsnow@yahoo.ca so that I can send it off to the needed people.
Thanks,

amoreira
04-18-2009, 04:21 PM
I've been waiting for such a club. Calgary Aquarium Society doesn't cut it (too few reefers). Count me in on the club. When's the next meeting?

es355lucille
04-18-2009, 09:51 PM
This is sweet Jay!

Here's a better quality logo I drew up. The outer black box with the wavyness can be changed easily.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=89&pictureid=968

Comments please!

werner
04-19-2009, 09:09 PM
Calgary Aquarium Society doesn't cut it (too few reefers).

It's not that we don't want you or don't care. :cry: It's kind of a vicious circle: there aren't many reefers... so other reefers don't come... so we have no reefers...

Obviously you're out there. We'd love to expand the SW and reef aspects of the Society. All we need is a couple people who care enough to take the lead.

Anyone interested in doing the program presentation at the next meeting???

Delphinus
04-20-2009, 05:50 AM
To be honest I don't think it's a bad thing that the existing society doesn't have a huge SW following. To me SW and FW are disparate enough that it really would be a headache trying to keep everyone happy. The different categories of FW alone actually have got to be a challenge.

To me it's a no brainer, there should be two societies but closely affiliated. Sort of like how in the plant world, there's the Calgary Horticultural Society and then things like Foothills Orchid Society or whatever. Each has their own meetings but one is like a "parent" to the other. People have to be members of both though, membership in one doesn't include full membership in another.

So I think a reef society could learn a lot from the folks at CAS. :) Just my $0.02. :)

geobee
04-20-2009, 08:19 AM
done and done,,,just registered at CalgaryReefKeepers.ca

Delphinus
04-20-2009, 04:33 PM
Oh shoot! I didn't realize we were supposed to register there. Ah DUH. :redface: Off to go fix that right now!

Snappy
04-22-2009, 08:05 PM
done and done,,,just registered at CalgaryReefKeepers.ca
ditto

Jay180reef
04-23-2009, 07:31 PM
I haven't posted any new content on the site...been crazy busy lately. I'll have to get Glenn to show me how to set up the registered members section etc.

Also, I need content for the site! If you want to contribute, please send me links, articles, photos etc.

I spoke to Doug at Red Coral and he may have a lead for printing the stickers and getting the clothing made. The initial investment is ~$1000 and I don't feel like emptying my bank account without finding the cheapest deals.

JDigital
05-08-2009, 11:59 PM
signed up

Blom
05-11-2009, 07:44 PM
Just on my way to sign up

andreweh
05-14-2009, 12:17 AM
Just signed up!!
I just got my salt water tank up and going about 6 months ago!! So far so good. I Have a lot of questions, So I think this a great idea!!

Thanks a lot!!

Eb0la11
05-23-2009, 07:13 PM
Me and my room mate will prob register sometime in the next month just cause we arent "officially" reefers yet. We are going to be setting up our first ever tank starting in about 2 weeks.

Eyford01
05-23-2009, 10:56 PM
So... When's the first frag swap?

Jay180reef
05-26-2009, 10:28 PM
UPDATE

Stickers are ordered, hopefully we can raise some cash to get shirts and towels. A big thanks to Doug at Red Coral for helping organize the stickers.

Other stores who are looking to help out: Colby at Elite aquatics has offered to negotiate some sort of sponsorship, Benny and On at Oceancity are keen as well.

So, I'm insanely busy at work these days so I haven't been able to devote my entire life to this sweet club. I really want to see CRK up and running but I need some help with this club so it doesn't die. Does anyone have some time to volunteer to help out with the club? Ideally I need 4 people to help, and we'll meet at least every month to work on the club.

Things that I need help with:

1. Frag swap/tank tour organizer
2. Gear ordering/cash management
3. Website updates and maintenance/ member list updater
4. Sponsor relations/member relations

If you are interested, please post a reply as to why you would like to help and what kind of commitment you can make.

I want get the 5 of us together at my place for a meeting ASAP!

karazy
05-26-2009, 11:03 PM
i can help out with sponsorship jay, shudn't be too hard as i have the shop on speed dial :lol:

Blom
05-26-2009, 11:16 PM
I might be able to lend a hand until September, back to school.

Trigger Man
05-26-2009, 11:25 PM
So now that I realized that we need to register I just did it.
Right now I'm pretty busy opening up a resturant downtown, but after it opens and everything is rolling I could help out with the cash management, and maybe a bit more. The resturant is supposed to open early next month so probably July or August would work, if there is still the need.

Snappy
05-27-2009, 12:09 AM
Jay I sent you a pm.

Jay180reef
05-27-2009, 02:52 PM
Great, thanks for the response guys! I'll pm you with further details, Evan and Blom (don't know your name yet) in a bit

Eb0la11
05-27-2009, 04:19 PM
I signed up on the website as well. Can't really contribute anything since Im such a newb. Maybe in a couple years. I'd still come to some trades and meetings to chat or whatever from time to time too. Im sure my room mate would as well.

Blom
05-27-2009, 05:09 PM
Great, thanks for the response guys! I'll pm you with further details, Evan and Blom (don't know your name yet) in a bit

Hey Jay, my name for future reference is Tyson.

soapy
05-27-2009, 06:52 PM
Hello, I am interested in joining but can't find the website just now. Can somebody please give me the URL.

Blom
05-27-2009, 07:01 PM
Hello, I am interested in joining but can't find the website just now. Can somebody please give me the URL.

The URL is http://www.calgaryreefkeepers.ca