PDA

View Full Version : Ricordea infestation, any ideas?

Reefer Rob
03-18-2009, 01:34 AM
I have Ricordea spreading all over my SPS tank. They're a bigger pest than Aiptasia, although prettier. They end up stinging the heck out of my acros, and when I try to scrape them off they can pull themselves into a crack (just like their little buddies) I've tried boiling water, but they always bounce back. I wouldn't mind keeping a few if I had a way to control them.

Myka
03-18-2009, 01:37 AM
Got pics? Joe's Juice should do the trick, or make a paste out of kalk or calcium powder. Turn your pumps off while you do it, and keep them off for 45 minutes after molesting the Rics.

LeeR
03-18-2009, 01:55 AM
noo dont kill them!! i will bbuy them off you

reeferious
03-18-2009, 02:02 AM
i'm trying to build up ricordia numbers so if you have too many stuck to one particular rock i'll buy rock and all from you.i

tikkle
03-18-2009, 02:02 AM

+1

What color are they, Rob?

Black Phantom
03-18-2009, 02:06 AM

I don't think you do. I have the same problem. But just with one type of Ric. Mine are a light brown and they are super invasive. I use surgical scissors to cut off the head and then a scraper to take the rest off the rocks.
Try lemon juice injected into the center. It helps.

Reefer Rob
03-18-2009, 02:08 AM
Myka
I've thought about kalk paste, but I wasn't sure it would work on something so big, worth a try though. It's just so messy.

MacheteAvenue
That would be great if I could get them off without breaking my acros, and they're so tricksey. Some of the ones in the back are just ugly green ones, and they seem to be the most vicious!

The ones I can get to I'll likely scrape off and sell.

Reefer Rob
03-18-2009, 02:16 AM
I will be making frags of the ones I can get to, they are orange

http://excalibur.bc.ca/pics/slides/rics.jpg

The ones under my acros are impossible to get to and so will need more drastic measures

Marlin65
03-18-2009, 02:17 AM
Got pics? Joe's Juice should do the trick, or make a paste out of kalk or calcium powder. Turn your pumps off while you do it, and keep them off for 45 minutes after molesting the Rics.

This is what works for me with mushrooms and other unwanted things.