PDA

View Full Version : My Clown hates tank maitenance.

banditpowdercoat
03-17-2009, 11:18 PM
So, I'm cleanin all the Coraline off the glass today and my female clown just goes nuts. Attacking my hand, the scraper. Then, when siphoning the water out for a change, she was acctually jumping out of the water trying to get my hand that was on the top of the siphon. She's allways been protective of their anemone, but never like this. Her little teeth are sharp. No blood, but got quite a few nips today.

my2rotties
03-17-2009, 11:41 PM
Clowns are anything but funny sometimes. My maroon clown is now knocking down all the corals I have placed close to his anemone. I actually watch him haul off and head bunt it numerous times until it falls down. I t would probably knock him out cold if I glued it down:lol: As if they are not silly enough, a knock to the head might retard them a little more.

My friend has a maroon clown and he is afraid of the fish. He bites really hard I guess. Mine still is a youngster so I have not had issues with him yet...

Key Equine
03-17-2009, 11:45 PM
Oh boy, that sounds great! I might have to get myself a clown some day...

banditpowdercoat
03-18-2009, 12:09 AM
LOL, everyone needs a fish that bites the hand that feeds it

mike31154
03-18-2009, 12:25 AM
He, he. I don't think any tank inhabitant enjoys tank maintenance. My female Maroon is not amused when I'm messing around in there. The pair just deposited their first batch of eggs either yesterday or today, so next time I reach in there, could be a little more dangerous than usual. So far she's never nipped or drawn blood, but I suspect that could change now. Still, couldn't imagine my tank without them or my Blue Devil Damselfish that has actually tried to bite me. The BDD is too small to do any harm but man is he a little bugger. Have to respect something that small defending it's territory. Life or death in the real ocean I guess.

lngrhaul
03-18-2009, 12:31 AM
My clowns were very docile until I added the anemone - now, can't go anywhere on that side of the tank without the female trying to bite.

Sometimes when I'm doing maintenance, I put the net in close to the anemone and they all stay away!

Tangman
03-18-2009, 12:36 AM
Her little teeth are sharp. No blood, but got quite a few nips today.
It's not really the sharpness of the teeth or the bite , but the speed and intensity that they hit you when they bite , that makes you jump every time !!:mrgreen:

xtreme
03-18-2009, 12:58 AM
My maroon clown is now knocking down all the corals I have placed close to his anemone. I actually watch him haul off and head bunt it numerous times until it falls down.

Mine does the exact same thing. Gets pretty annoying actually.:lol:

68shelby
03-18-2009, 01:19 AM
Mine are always on the offensive as well, My hand can go anywhere in the tank but if its close to the clownfish she charges and will bite, only the female though.

JDigital
03-18-2009, 01:20 AM
Maroons are known for being fairly protective. Not surprised that everyone in this thread that has a Maroon gets nipped at or charged upon. :lol:

banditpowdercoat
03-18-2009, 01:21 AM
Mine's a False Percula, not a Maroon. but I guess a clowns a clown

my2rotties
03-18-2009, 02:49 AM
No kidding and it is always at the backside of the arm. I have dropped many things because my damsel has nailed me.

It's not really the sharpness of the teeth or the bite , but the speed and intensity that they hit you when they bite , that makes you jump every time !!:mrgreen:

new but handy
03-18-2009, 03:01 AM
Hey, I've got a 7" hippo tang that attacks my tongs. He has never gone after me but he dosen't like those tongs. He also dosen't like new frags, everytime I put new frags in the tank he picks them up and swims back and forth across the tank at mach 10. He usually drops them in the front of the tank but I have lost 1 so far. I guess I have to decide where I want the frags and glue them down. I used to trial and error it for a day, I can't give the tang the choice, he has terrible taste

BC564
03-18-2009, 06:42 PM
My clown bites me every time I reach in....the female has drawn blood a couple times......you reach in knowing she is going to attack....yet you still jump and curse when it happens.....scares the crap outta me

ocean diver
03-18-2009, 07:34 PM
I have a cinnimon clown and anemone and it does the same thing, attacks my hand as soon as I put it in the tank.

Snaz
03-18-2009, 07:36 PM
http://snaz.com/clown_teeth.jpg

Marlin65
03-18-2009, 08:45 PM
HA Ha my false Purcula attacks my hand. My Darwin's and Maroons do not though.
My maroon has taken to pushing rocks around. :twised: I am a bit concerned that she will start attacking my hand when they finally get around to laying eggs as she is over 3" and my Niger Trigger attacks my scraper thank god it does not attack my hand. I think it does not like the black color maybe it thinks it's another Trigger.

TheMikey
03-19-2009, 02:31 AM
My Oc. percs are pretty docile actually, when I was putting some new frags in the tank today they were swimming in between my fingers and one got brave enough to give me a little nip. It wasn't really a bit though, I think she was just tasting my finger. It wasn't a bite... or anything. In between the gf commenting it was the cutest thing she had ever seen, she thought it almost looked like the clown was giving me a kiss..

banditpowdercoat
03-19-2009, 05:21 AM
SNAZ, when did you come take a pic of my clown???? LMAO

spreerider
03-19-2009, 05:49 AM
if you are scared of clowns never get a piranha, they have a good bite on em.

Snaz
03-19-2009, 06:24 AM
if you are scared of clowns never get a piranha, they have a good bite on em.

I have had piranha big and small. Never had a bite while doing maintenance. When I was a teenager I worked for an LFS that had a 180 gallon tank with 13 red-breasted piranha each between 10-16 inches in diameter. When we made the stupid error of feeding the tank a rabbit one night it was up to me to remove all of the fur. It was 2 hours of me up to my armpits removing the mess while my coworkers made "Jaws" movie theme sounds and laughing their heads off. The Piranha never came near me.

banditpowdercoat
03-19-2009, 06:27 AM
Dun DUN Dun DUN DuN DUN DUNDUNDUNDUN...