PDA

View Full Version : Bristle Worms - aaaahhhggggg

Tau2301
06-13-2003, 03:33 AM
What is a good critter/fish for keeping bristle worms in check. I have so many it gives new meaning to "live rock"... :eek:

StirCrazy
06-13-2003, 03:52 AM
um cleaner shrimp but lots of them can be a good thing.

Steve

EmilyB
06-13-2003, 03:54 AM
Why do you feel they are a problem, are they doing damage? I would love to trade for bristle worms :biggrin:

Tau2301
06-13-2003, 04:39 AM
I don't think they are doing any damage. It's just the shear number of them that gives me the willys.

I have just added two new cleaner shrimp to the main tank to replace the two that died last November/December. I have seen one of the cleaner shrimp munch on one, but that is literally one in a million.

The other night after lights out I went to the tank and had a look with my low power flash light (needs batteries). What I saw sort of put me back for a minute or so.

I feed my fish nori rolled around some plastic water pipe and then dangled into the tank. This roll of nori hangs about 2" from a piece of rock.

The worms had extended themselves over to the nori and dragged the roll closer to the rock. Some smaller worms had crawled right onto the nori roll. When I put the flash light on them they let go of the roll.

I feel I am like that guy on the Outer Limits that bred super intelligent ants in his garage. They eventually turned on him.

I believe that I have a healthy population of worms. They are well fed as I tend to overfeed my fish from time to time. When I feed with Mysis Shrimp they boil out of every hole and from under every rock.

EmilyB, we will have to make some arrangements to get you some more worms. I also have lots of the green spaggetti worms.

Bob I
06-13-2003, 02:44 PM
What is a good critter/fish for keeping bristle worms in check. I have so many it gives new meaning to "live rock"... :eek:

Hmmmmm, this must be a case of "as the worm turns". I recall that some time ago you ordered Bristleworms from SWC.

:BIG:

Seriak
06-13-2003, 05:06 PM
Just do what I did!

Accidentally lower your SG to 1.014. All the little ones shriveled up and died. What's left are the really big ones. Unfortunately I lost most of my snails at the same time. However my mangroves, caulerpa, and soft corals survived unscathed.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Tau2301
06-14-2003, 03:03 AM
Bob, you're right. I bought about 10 worms just over a year ago to go with my live sand.

Guess I will have to get my turkey blaster going again and bag some of them for Deb.

Quinn
06-14-2003, 03:08 AM
I wouldn't mind getting some as well if it can be worked out...

Tau2301
06-14-2003, 03:24 AM
No problemo teevee...

Dresden
06-14-2003, 10:38 AM
i luv my worms, the more the merrier(is that spelt right?)

Tau2301
06-14-2003, 04:06 PM
Spellin' don't matter to me...