PDA

View Full Version : For the speculators of why BTA's have bubble tips sometimes.

EmilyB
06-13-2003, 03:00 AM
I've had this BTA over a year, it was adopted from a 14w tank. It looked like a mushroom....

The anemone ended up in a 120 with 2 x 175w MH 10k, pair of maroon clowns. I think anyone who has visited will tell you it had long, straight tentacles.

A couple weeks ago, we took the sand bed out of the 120g (trigger induced), kept the anemone and the clowns in an established 10g tank overnite.

The 120g itself, ended up having a 70% or so waterchange. The water was well cured, and we really had no choice.

The BTA has ever since displayed bubbletips. Lights have not changed.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/bhadford1/BTATipsDSC00003_rs.JPG

Delphinus
06-13-2003, 03:58 PM
So do you think it was the 70% water change or the removal of the sand bed that was the pivotal change?

Seriak
06-13-2003, 05:09 PM
Hey Emily, one of the Anenomes you sold me has regained its bubble tips. The anenome has got to be at least a foot now in diameter and looks really cool with these large bubble tips. My clown protects both of the anenomes now. I believe it is the proximity to the suface of the water that caused it. But I really don't know for sure.

EmilyB
06-13-2003, 05:53 PM
Seriak, that is great ! They look so much better that way I think. I guess the mystery is over then about them being bubbletips or not !

Well Tony, the tank was a slough :redface: ....I kept putting off the inevitable. So for sure the water quality was immensely improved. Seriak's came out of that tank also.

It is exactly in the same place it was before so it's not that. I've been waiting for it to go back to the way it was, and perhaps it will in time. I actually expected a split more than anything. I hadn't intended that much of a water change but it turned out to be messier than I expected.

EmilyB
06-21-2003, 09:49 PM
I actually expected a split more than anything.

And that it did.

EmilyB
07-20-2003, 12:31 AM
The anemone ended up way more bubbly than that pic. I also had to move it out of the tank again into a NO lit tank, while I kept the lights off in the 120g to get rid of some cyano. Kept the bubbles in that tank, kept the bubbles when I put it back.

Then I changed the bulbs. (from Hamilton (ushio) one year old, to new Ushios). (Lights were slowly re-introduced)

Low and behold, no more bubbletips... :eek:

So, I'm wondering, is this their way to increase the surface area of their tips for some kind of lighting reason?

Delphinus
07-21-2003, 05:29 PM
I beleive it is, actually. I don't remember my math offhand but I'm sure the ratio of surface-area to volume is bigger for a sphere than it is for a cylinder. I'll have to look it up but it's been a few years since I did any calculus and I'm way dumber now than I was when I was back in school so ... we shall see how it goes ..