PDA

View Full Version : Modifiying Eclipse hoods

Chad
06-13-2003, 12:14 AM
Has anyone attempted to modify an Eclipse 2 hood to fit in a better light?

Canadian Man
06-13-2003, 06:04 AM
Hey,
What I did with mine is take my dremel and cut out all the filter crap so basically I'm left with a plastic hood. This allowed me to add another light (could have added 3 more) to the part that was over the filter.. This is over my FW angel tank with plant's so 3 bulb's is plenty but If I was using it over a softies reef tank then I would have added 3 bulb's to make it a total of 5.

I got sick of buying their filter cartridges.
:lol:
ciao

Chad
06-13-2003, 06:24 AM
I don't suppose you have a picture and what kind of lighting did you stick in there?

Chad

Canadian Man
06-13-2003, 06:32 AM
Don't got any pics but I basically took some cheep $2.00 hd flourescent endcaps and a electronic ballast and hooked it up that way. I just screwed some wood into the plasic hood and screwed the endcaps into the wood. Very simple 2 min job. hardly noticeacble as well as I used black screws in the hood so you can't even see it.
I could take some pics if you want and Email them to you some time?

Chad
06-13-2003, 03:29 PM
I could take some pics if you want and Email them to you some time?

That would be awesome. I would really like to see how you did it. Can email me at cmcd@shaw.ca

Thanks

Chad

Nullig
06-13-2003, 04:17 PM
CSL has a retrofit kit for the eclipse. MOPS has it:

http://www.mops.on.ca/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/products/LICS-23128.shtml?E+scstore

I don't know how good it is, but it is PC Lights that replace the original lights, and it's supposed to be fairly easy to do. It also uses the existing switch on the hood.

Noel

Chad
06-13-2003, 07:58 PM
ohhhh I like that :biggrin: Thank you thank you thank you :) hehe.. plus i can maybe add another one..

Chad