PDA

View Full Version : External Wave box

Dez
03-16-2009, 03:46 PM
Hi, it's been a while since I posted. Gonna get a tank up again and I remember a few years ago on Reefcentral there was a guy that built a tank with an external "built in wave box" using the Tunze wavebox powerhead and controllers. I have googled in over and over and can't seem to find the thread. Does anybody know what I'm talking about. It was an external glass box built on the end of the tank to create the waves but without the ugly box in the display tank itself. I'd like to do that, but I want to make sure I do it right before drilling holes and adding boxes to the outside of my tank. Any help would be appreciated.

Chowder
03-16-2009, 04:22 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1411393

saltynuts
03-16-2009, 04:30 PM
wow that will be cool when its done.
about time that 150 get built.
you and tony should bet on whos done first. lol

Chowder
03-16-2009, 04:45 PM
If you want to search something on RC google it. For instance on this one I searched Diy wavebox Reef central.

Chris

Dez
03-16-2009, 05:41 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1411393

Hi Chris....this is not an external wavebox. This guy built it to put inside his tank. It's basically a copy of the Tunze one. I'm trying to have an external wavebox outside of the display tank. Thanks for looking though.

Dez

saltynuts
03-16-2009, 06:23 PM
found the vid but can,t find the diy part.

Chowder
03-16-2009, 06:47 PM
Are you looking for a surge box?

Delphinus
03-16-2009, 08:03 PM
Hi Dez, welcome back. :) I vaguely remember the thread you're thinking of, but it's been a pretty long time. As I recall it was something like a 8' or longer tank, 3' or 4' wide, and wasn't so much an "external" wavebox though as it was a false wall inside the tank that was drilled to accept the Tunze 6200. I believe there were 2 compartments, one each side flanking the overflow on the one side. And he had easily a 6" wave going I think. Is that the one you're thinking of?

Anyhow happy hunting (for that thread). :)

midgetwaiter
03-16-2009, 10:07 PM
It was on aquariumpros not reefcentral. Pretty cool idea.

http://www.aquariumpros.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=35806

golf nut
03-17-2009, 12:48 AM
. I believe there were 2 compartments, one each side flanking the overflow on the one side. And he had easily a 6" wave going I think.
Anyhow happy hunting (for that thread). :)

Making waves isn't that difficult, trouble is it does zero for water quality and plays havoc with the overflow.

Dez
03-17-2009, 02:49 AM
Tony's right....it was a reefcentral thread, it wasn't that one on aquarium pros. Hmmmm....still can't find it though. I'd basically like to do my research before going through with it. I can't remember if the guy had that tank running and how well it worked etc....anybody here run a wavebox? How do you like it and what would you do differently?

Thanks guys.

Des

steve fedyk
03-17-2009, 05:19 AM
I have a wave box on my 120 and love the look. The coral sway back and forth. Its not a rolling wave, but I think its close. An exturnal wave box would be great, they take up a lot of space inside a tank.
If you make the box about the same size, and glue it on the outside I don't see any problem. Just make the box the same hight as the top of the tank.

mr_alberta
03-17-2009, 05:29 AM
Dez, if you wait long enough you might see it on my new tank (which is in the works and will still probably be done before yours! :lol::razz:)

Dez
03-17-2009, 06:30 AM
Harvey....you....you....ummmm....can you give me a hand so that mine is complete first? Heh heh! Call me.

muck
03-19-2009, 06:39 PM
Hey Des...make sure you post pics of your build, and your mini. :mrgreen:

squattingbird
03-19-2009, 07:49 PM
i dont know how to post the link but im sure its eds 295 gallon penninsular tank. www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1348455. he uses the wave boxes right in the overflow. hopefully this is what you were looking for. my first post.... lol

Dez
03-20-2009, 05:01 AM
Hi Ryan,

I've posted pics of my mini in the lounge. Squat, thanks so much for the link, it's not the same thread, but it's very similar to what I'm going to do. Thanks so much.