PDA

View Full Version : J&L group order

Quinn
06-12-2003, 02:07 PM
i'm going to be placing an order for some snails in the next week and a half or so from J&L. if anyone wants some stuff, let's get ourselves organized for a group order.

edmontonians, because there's less of you, i expect more interest from calgarians. however if no calgarians are interested, i will have my stuff shipped to edmonton instead of calgary. if the order does go to calgary, you can still get some stuff and pick it up from my place or something like that.

spikehs
06-12-2003, 02:17 PM
I am interested...As soon as my tank is ready I want to put some of that stuff in, I am putting all the rock, sand and sw in this weekend so hopefully it'll cycle quickly. Does anyone know if they carry conchs?

Quinn
06-12-2003, 02:25 PM
it appears they do not, however seacare does, and i plan to place an order with them in early july (for conchs and a few cowries).

as far as J&L goes, i will call them today and let them know that there is going to be a group order. spike will you be ready to order around the 20th?

spikehs
06-12-2003, 02:31 PM
probably not...I don't THINK the tank will have cycled by then, if it has then i am in, but 1 weekish is pretty quick, maybe i'll hold off untill the seacare order (I wanted to get some frags from them as well).. what kind of algae are cowries good for?

Quinn
06-12-2003, 02:42 PM
i'm not too sure. i haven't looked into them too much, but i have heard they seem to be more durable than snails. i'm starting out with a very small cleaning crew, just to see how it goes in general.

Buccaneer
06-12-2003, 04:02 PM
Is there no LFS that carry fighting Conches ? ... I am in the market for some too

Cheers

Delphinus
06-12-2003, 04:56 PM
I have seen "fighting conches" at Wai's.

The only thing is some of them were on the glass. I've never (and I mean never) seen mine leave the sand. Makes me think they're different species.

Last I heard, J&L didn't sell them. I think at a time they did sell "queen conches" but I'm not sure if they still do (worthy of emailing them and asking if you're interested. Bear in mind queen conches are supposed to get quite large, probably too large for the likes of some tanks.) Seacare sold "strawberry conches" which I think are a third species yet. I could be wrong, I haven't been in the market for one for a while so I'm not current. I got mine from SWC, and at the time I got mine, SWC was the only really reliable supplier of "fighting conches" that you could be sure he'd have some available on a regular basis, plus that you could be sure that you were in fact getting a "fighting conch" and not something else. But, like I said, that was easily a year ago or so, and so that was then, this is now. My knowledge is no longer current! :biggrin:

Bob I
06-12-2003, 08:06 PM
I have seen "fighting conches" at Wai's.

The only thing is some of them were on the glass. I've never (and I mean never) seen mine leave the sand. Makes me think they're different species.

I bought a Fighting Conch from SWC last year, and in all the time I had it in my tank, it NEVER left the sand. I have heard that Queen Conches will leave the bottom. The problem is how big they grow. Even my FC grew to over three inches in a very short time. :cry:

EmilyB
06-13-2003, 03:09 AM
I bought two fighting conchs from sea care - dry packed - brought home-acclimated slowly. They crawled away fine, I found one shell. Never seen the other.

I have no predators. What do you figure went wrong there? At $14.95 each, it was a sting to not know the problem.

Tau2301
06-13-2003, 03:30 AM
My couchs disappeared for a couple of months - thought they had gone to the big toilet in the sky.

Then lo and behold, they both appeared one day and have been around the front of the tank ever since.

You didn't mention if the shell you found was full or not. :mrgreen:

EmilyB
06-13-2003, 07:53 PM
You gotta hate it when your couches disappear.... :razz:

Empty shell. Nice shell. But nevertheless empty. :frown:

AJ_77
06-13-2003, 09:05 PM
I haven't seen my shell in a few weeks... kinda hoping I don't find it.

:confused:

But if a J&L order is being put together I could probably use a couple of Emerald crabs, nice hungry ones...

Tau2301
06-14-2003, 03:05 AM
You gotta hate it when your couches disappear....

Couches, did I say couches. I meant to says chairs... :mrgreen:

I don't need no stinking couches...

TANGOMAN
06-16-2003, 02:46 PM
That's a helluva party if you awake to find your couch has dissapeared...

spikehs
06-16-2003, 03:00 PM
any idea on an approx date of when this order is going to go on?

Quinn
06-16-2003, 03:14 PM
We've all pulled out. I realized it's cheaper to buy what I needed at an LFS than pay the shipping costs myself, and no one else was interested at this time. Perhaps later on when you're ready for some critters we can try again?

spikehs
06-16-2003, 03:19 PM
yup sounds good.....I figure my tank will take ~2weeks to cycle so maybe the start of next week we can start to get things together? I want to try seacare at some point so maybe we could go through them?

Quinn
06-16-2003, 03:49 PM
Yep, I'm in on some conchs. I thought I'd wait a while until I had more algae build-up, but with the about of cyano and hair algae I've got going on now, that is unnecessary. I'm going to pick up snails this weekend, the sooner the better.