PDA

View Full Version : Sick Flaming Angel

lx5litre
03-16-2009, 01:35 AM
My angel's eyes are cloudy and a little bit bug eyed. He has Exophthalmia as known as Pop-Eye. Does anyone know what to give him? Or does anyone have any suggestions?
Thks,
Dwayne

dkcrx
03-16-2009, 03:21 AM
If it's pop eye, cosed by air behind the eye, I have solved this problem by catching the fish "in my case it was a unicorn tang" put him in a small shallow container of tank water, " just to keep him wet on one side" then you'll need a good Suringe with a sharp, fine needle. Poke it in the air bulge and draw out the air. you may want an assistant for this procedure to keep him/her still.

Black Phantom
03-17-2009, 03:14 AM
Please don't go poke your fishes eyes out with a needle:boink:

Pop eye is a condition, not a specific disease, and it can be the result of a number of different causes. Possible causes include internal bacterial infections by Exophthalmus and Corneybacteriosis, trauma to the eye, and poor water quality.

Environmental factors can include factors such as high levels of ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate, or otherwise poor water quality. It can also be caused by a carbon dioxide level in the water that is too high as a result of carbon dioxide enrichment of the water. If the carbon dioxide is released as bubbles the fish can swallow them, and this can cause pop eye.

Trauma to the eye can cause pop eye.

If only one eye is infected, it is usually caused by an injury.
Pop eye caused by bacterial infection or environmental issues usually affects both eyes.
If pop eye on both eyes is followed by a fungal infection, it is usually bacterial pop eye.
If pop eye on both eyes is not followed by a fungal infection, the pop eye is usually caused by environmental issues.

Never wait for a fungal infection before starting treatment. If your fish displays pop eye on both eyes, you should immediately take the steps against both bacterial and environmental pop eye.

Treating pop eye

Different types of pop eye require different treatments. Pop eye caused by trauma can often heal by itself if given optimal conditions. Move the fish with pop eye to a tank where it can be alone and won't get stressed by other fish. Make sure to keep perfect water quality in the tank.

Pop eye caused by environmental factors can often be dealt with in a similar fashion. It is very important to improve water quality and other environmental issues to avoid more fish getting sick. Fish will never get well if you don't improve the environment.

Bacterial pop eye can be hard to treat as it is an internal infection and internal infections are always harder to treat than external since it is harder to get the meds to the place where they are needed. Treat bacterial pop eye with a broad spectrum antibiotic.

lx5litre
03-17-2009, 03:42 AM
I have did some reading on this and one other thing it is caused by is an increase in temperature. My avg temp is 77 and 2 days ago it was about 82. I was reading someone's log and it does appear when there is sharp spikes in temp change. I noticed his eyes are not as cloudy today as they were, and I did a water change yesterday. I do a change every week of 10%. But I might miss the odd week, so it is never more than 2 weeks before a water change, and that happens maybe once a month if that happens. Yes it is in both eyes. Prior to a week ago, I killed off my flatworms and lost one 6 line, 4 shrimp over the 3 days. But as of yesterday everythng is looking outstanding. All of the corals are looking good. I did tests on nitrites, nitrates, amonia. the hardest thing is to catch him to put him in a QT. I do notice that I do have little microbubbles every once in a while in the tank, but I got rid of the majority of them when I put a pvc tube from my skimmer with a very course sponge so it catches all of the bubbles and gets rid of them. I am just using sea clone skimmer. Other than that I just get a little bubble when I am feeding that gets into the power heads.

Black Phantom
03-17-2009, 04:01 AM
The micro bubbles are fine and won't affect your fish. Just swim near an exposed reef and you will see tons of them with no adverse affects to the marine enviroment.
It's a build up of CO that will cause a problem but if you have good water movement and a skimmer then that won't be a problem.
I'm thinking he was affected by the flatworm treatment.
Keep changing the water and hopefuly he will fully reciver.

naesco
03-17-2009, 04:48 AM
Please don't go poke your fishes eyes out with a needle:boink:

Pop eye is a condition, not a specific disease, and it can be the result of a number of different causes. Possible causes include internal bacterial infections by Exophthalmus and Corneybacteriosis, trauma to the eye, and poor water quality.

Environmental factors can include factors such as high levels of ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate, or otherwise poor water quality. It can also be caused by a carbon dioxide level in the water that is too high as a result of carbon dioxide enrichment of the water. If the carbon dioxide is released as bubbles the fish can swallow them, and this can cause pop eye.

Trauma to the eye can cause pop eye.

If only one eye is infected, it is usually caused by an injury.
Pop eye caused by bacterial infection or environmental issues usually affects both eyes.
If pop eye on both eyes is followed by a fungal infection, it is usually bacterial pop eye.
If pop eye on both eyes is not followed by a fungal infection, the pop eye is usually caused by environmental issues.

Never wait for a fungal infection before starting treatment. If your fish displays pop eye on both eyes, you should immediately take the steps against both bacterial and environmental pop eye.

Treating pop eye

Different types of pop eye require different treatments. Pop eye caused by trauma can often heal by itself if given optimal conditions. Move the fish with pop eye to a tank where it can be alone and won't get stressed by other fish. Make sure to keep perfect water quality in the tank.

Pop eye caused by environmental factors can often be dealt with in a similar fashion. It is very important to improve water quality and other environmental issues to avoid more fish getting sick. Fish will never get well if you don't improve the environment.

Bacterial pop eye can be hard to treat as it is an internal infection and internal infections are always harder to treat than external since it is harder to get the meds to the place where they are needed. Treat bacterial pop eye with a broad spectrum antibiotic.

+1
Use a antibacterial product containing neomycin.
IME the other ones are not effective in saltwater. Treat in a QT and follow directions carefully ensuring that you compensate for water changes.