PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic or Glass

plutoniumJoe
03-13-2009, 05:37 PM
I know that this probably has been debated before but I am thinking of starting a 180Gal reef. There is a local shop that will build an acrylic tank for me for slightly less than a 180 reef ready glass tank. I like the clarity of acrylic and the ability to drill it easily is a big plus as I might add a closed loop. Some people I have talked to at lfss have been dead set against acrylic. Is there any one in the community who has had an acrylic tank and would caution against it?

I probably wont decide until June but I am trying to gather info.

Thanks for any input.

Joe

Mrfish55
03-13-2009, 06:12 PM
If you want clarity go with the starfire glass, I had an acrylic tank once upon a time and will never own another (and it was a high end tank, no cheapo) If you are looking at that size tank and are looking at an acrylic for less money you can pretty much rest assured it is not a high end tank (cheaper price usually means thinner panels=distortion) acrylic is also easier to scratch than glass (although easier to polish out also). As for drilling, glass drills just as easy as acrylic (unless it's tempered). Just my 2cents worth.

fkshiu
03-13-2009, 06:41 PM
Acrylic pros:
- much lighter than glass
- absorbs impacts much better than glass
- cleaner the regular float glass

Acrylic cons:
- more expensive for a well made aquarium
- acrylic and bow and yellow over time if cheap acrylic is used
- scratches if you look at it the wrong way (on the other hand it can be buffed out relatively easily - but on the third hand doing so is a real monstrous pain in the butt especially if the scratch is on the inside - live rock falling over and sand are all too common culprits. And just ask untamed about what his trigger did to his beautiful acrylic tank).

plutoniumJoe
03-13-2009, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the replies, it is good to get reponses from those who have had them in the past. I guess the other part of the equation might be, is it practical to make your own 180gal glass aquarium using a starfire front pane?

Excuse my naivity but they don't seem too complicated and if you eurobrace the top it would be pretty solid. If I am way off please try not to refer to me as a complete idiot in your reponse.

Joe

untamed
03-13-2009, 07:38 PM
I can't see much value in acrylic if you are thinking of (only) 180 gallons. I think the benefits of acrylic outweigh the challenges only once you get into very large size tanks. At that point, glass starts to become too thick and heavy for my taste.

My acrylic tank is scratched to heck...and not a single scratch was caused by me. Tangs, triggerfish, urchins...they all leave their marks on the acrylic.

If I had to rebuild my 400, it would still be acrylic. If I were to build a 180...it would be glass (starfire).

Mrfish55
03-13-2009, 09:38 PM
I have built a number of tanks, also re-sealed a number of large tanks, unless you enjoy the DIY projects I would recomend you just buy one, unless you know somebody in the glass buisiness that can give you a deal, you will find the materials to build will cost as much or more than buying a ready made tank and a DIY has no warranty. If you are looking to save a few bucks I have a like new 180 w/dual overflow I will sell at good deal :biggrin: Thanks for the replies, it is good to get reponses from those who have had them in the past. I guess the other part of the equation might be, is it practical to make your own 180gal glass aquarium using a starfire front pane?

Excuse my naivity but they don't seem too complicated and if you eurobrace the top it would be pretty solid. If I am way off please try not to refer to me as a complete idiot in your reponse.

Joe

plutoniumJoe
03-14-2009, 01:25 AM
Thanks MrFish I pm'd you.

Diana
03-14-2009, 01:47 AM
Been working on a list for our website... not quite finished yet:

Benefits of Acrylic

Lightweight
Several times stronger than glass
Less distortion
Easily refined
Custom forms

Clearer than glass
Insulates better than glass
Stronger seams
Scratches can be removed
Capeable of holding large water volumes

Benefits of Glass

Less easily scratched
Does not cloud over time
More resistant to reef related
organisms such as Coralline Algae
Lower cost

Negatives of Acrylic

Scratches easily
Higher cost

Negatives of Glass

Heavy
Weaker than acrylic
Green hue (not Starphire)

For our business we recommend acrylic for people that are doing large (300 gal +) tanks, or tanks in apartment buildings and highrises, or odd shaped tanks. We hesitate to do liverock and reef aquariums in acrylic tanks, but even large fish only tanks will get scratched.

I suggest for the regular sized and shaped tanks just do starphire glass, especially if you are doing a reef or tank with scratchy fish like puffers. :D

HTH
-Diana

plutoniumJoe
03-14-2009, 02:53 AM
Thanks Diana for the input I will need to call upon your services this summer when we are out of town.