PDA

View Full Version : Drilling question

jbryks
03-12-2009, 12:06 PM
hello everyone...i am new to this site and have a couple of question about my project that i am working on...i have a 33 gallon dt with a 20 long sump..i have the stand built and the sump finished and now it time to drill the tank...i got the holesaw bits but my question is in the tank i was thinking one return on each side of the tank with the overflow in the center....can i just put a durso standpipe there or do i need to build a overflow box....any help would apperiated

jordan

new but handy
03-12-2009, 11:37 PM
hey
build an over flow it will skim the surface of the water for you
just some tips because I built my own and now I notice some problems with it: Build the top of the durso higher than the height of your water in the display
also make the vent hole on top adjustable, over time the drain doesn't function the same as when you start. My durso's are 1" or so below my water line and the water level in my overflows increased for some reason, so, now it makes the most awful sucking noise around. I stuck a straw in the vent to lift it above the water level. If I could EASILY adjust the vent I could drop the water level and fix the problem but I didn't, so whatever.
Also build the overflow box big enough to EASILY get a net into it, with room for manuvering. I built mine as small as possible, yes I have teeth cut into the top, now I have 2 of 6 chromis that live in there. I fish them out, they swim straight back in. I used to care but if they want to live there it's their choice.