PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for pump on Aqua C Remora Pro Skimmer

tharkema
03-12-2009, 07:31 AM
I currently have an AquaC Remora Pro hang on Skimmer with a Maxi-Jet 1200 Pump. I am looking at replacing the pump on current setup and have seen different setups with this skimmer.

1. Maxi-Jet 1200
2. Rio 1400
3. Mag-Drive 3
4. Mag-Drive 5 or Mag-Drive 7
5. Or any other suggestions that people are/have used

I currently have a 55g tank set-up and looking to maybe go up to 90g down the road (probably would go to sump when doing upgrade to 90g but want to keep options open for now).

Wondering if anyone could suggest which pump might be my best option to go with. Thanks in advance for any help!

Marlin65
03-12-2009, 07:28 PM
I run a mag 3 with mine works great. The space it will take up in your lank will be more than that maxi jet though. Not sure I would recomend a mag if you are not running it in your sump.

fkshiu
03-12-2009, 08:31 PM
You definitely won't need a heater anymore if you use a mag5 like I did. In fact, you might overheat your tank in the summer with that energy hog.

Myka
03-13-2009, 05:55 AM
Are you sure yours is a "Pro", the Pro model comes with a Mag 3, the "regular" comes with a MJ1200. I tried putting a Mag 3 on my Remora (not Pro), and all it does is produce mass amount of bubbles and overflows the cup with clear skimmate. Stupid thing. The whole skimmer is collecting dust in my closet now.

robzilla
03-13-2009, 04:19 PM
my pro came with a mag 3 and with the overflow box. i have it hanging on the back of my 44g corner tank.

urbanhellfire
03-23-2009, 02:45 PM
I have a Mag-3 on mine, I hang mine on my fuge under the display tank.
All I can say is it pulls nice dry skimmate ( after 3 week break-in ).

Works great for me but every tank is diffrent :mrgreen:

banditpowdercoat
03-23-2009, 03:31 PM
ya, My Aqua C Urchin, which is just the in sump version of the Remoa, talkes 2 weeks or so to break in after I clean it thourally. Then pulls nice skimmate. Collection cup mounted fairly high. I use a Oddesea 3000 Pump on mine. It's a Pinwheel style impeller pump. Seems to work good

Leah
03-23-2009, 03:39 PM
I have the remora pro's both with mag 3's. One on my 72 and one on my 95. I do not
have sumps on either tanks. I am happy with them. I have had no problems with either.
But I have never had anything to compare it with.

urbanhellfire
03-23-2009, 03:51 PM
ya, My Aqua C Urchin, which is just the in sump version of the Remoa, talkes 2 weeks or so to break in after I clean it thourally. Then pulls nice skimmate. Collection cup mounted fairly high. I use a Oddesea 3000 Pump on mine. It's a Pinwheel style impeller pump. Seems to work good

I almost have my collection cup raised to the max and I still need to clean the cup every week or two.