PDA

View Full Version : ASM G3 Protien Skimmer

byee
03-12-2009, 04:31 AM
I'm looking for advice / help setting up my ASM GS skimmer. I've modified it by adding a gate valve. Even before the mod, it seems to like skimming water. I very seldom get any dark stuff in the waste cup.

I do remove the cup once every 2 weeks for cleaning the inside where the bubbles rise to have a layer of crud stuck to it. Its some times 3-4 m in thickness all around the cup. Its skimming but the dirty stuff is not finding its way into the waste cup.

I've placed it in my sump with the skimmer elevated about 4 inches. The plumbing from the pump has been modified to accommodate the increase in height.

The needle impeller does have may 6 missing teeth. Will this impact the skimmer ??

I was thinking drilling out the skimmer for 2 wooden airstones to increase the bubbles in the chamber.

BTW, I only have about 10 chromises, 1 naso tang and a bunch of soft corals.

Any opinions on what the problem may be ?? Will adding airstones to the chamber help the improve the functionality of the skimmer. or is it because bio load is very low ??

Bryan
03-12-2009, 05:46 AM
I had a ASM G3 and it had no problem skimming. Rmember the level of the foam needs to be about 1/2 way up the skimmer neck. Likely you have it adjusted way too low.

bigblack
03-12-2009, 05:58 AM
i have one also without any mods and its skimming like a champ very good skimmer, make sure the skimmer is at about 8 -10 inches submerged, lower your pipe a quarter inch at a time to get the bubbles just hitting the top , then down then up again this way you will get consistent skimmate.

byee
03-12-2009, 02:56 PM
I've got my protien skimmer elevated about 4 inches from the bottom of the sump.

Hmm.. will this have an impact ??

bigblack
03-13-2009, 09:51 AM
not really as long as it is submerged in enough water.

byee
03-14-2009, 06:56 AM
I've lowered my PS back sitting on the bottom of the sump. I adjusted the flow so its just an inch from the top of the skimmer cup. While watching the sump, I notice the bubbles drop down to the bottom of the up for a sec then back up to the top.

basically stays at the top for 10 secs then drops for a quick sec then back up again. hmmmmmmmmm........

any ideas what the problem is ??