PDA

View Full Version : 48" Current USA Nova Extreme vs. tek 8x54W

i have crabs
03-12-2009, 01:39 AM
i picked one of these up to put over 1 half of my 300g which is a predator tank with a few softies, before i put it on the tank though i decided to do some testing with the par meter vs. the 48" 8 bulb tek light i have on another tank.

the tek unit puts out a par of about 500 in the middle halfway down and 300 at the bottom middle, the current usa light put out sad 280 middle and 210 bottom with both the stock bulbs and the bulbs from the tek light both sets of bulbs tested almost the same.
now a result of 200-300 is still quite good and about the same as a few 250w halide's ive tested at simular depths but i think the big difference is the parabolic reflector in the 8 bulb version of the nova light vs the single bulb reflectors in the tek,

the good-
tek light has single reflectors, huge par numbers, can be hung, is wider giving more coverage, better quality endcaps
the nova-quite a bit cheeper since it comes with bulbs and legs, 4 white lunar lights built in, built in lens cover, cooling fans,

the bad-
tek- bit expensive, lens cover and legs will run you another $120, no moon lights
nova- crappy reflector kills the quality of light, no hanging kit, kinda cheep endcaps compared to other fixtures,

over all i like the light but im a bit annoyed with the reflector and i bet the 6 bulb version that does have single reflectors would put out higher par for less money and electricity but even with the numbers it puts out i will be able to keep any softy or lps i want and could probably keep most sps in the top 12" of the tank

lorenz0
03-12-2009, 04:32 AM
another note on the nova.. it has fan's. for the price its a decent fixture.

Treebeard
03-12-2009, 02:56 PM
The Tek 6 bulb fixture is $74 cheaper than the Nova Extreme Pro 6 bulb fixture (prices from the OA website). Does the Nova fixture include moon lights on the Pro model?

The 8 bulb Tek is even a better deal now. It is $60 cheaper than the Nova Extreme Pro.

i have crabs
03-12-2009, 10:03 PM
the nova has moonlights, legs and bulbs which is where it becomes cheeper over all,8bulbs is another $200 or more

RCFA
03-13-2009, 05:29 PM
The nova extreme PRO does not have moonlights. And the Pro has somewhat individual reflectors, A single sheet of aluminium bent around each bulb. The nova extreme and nova extreme pro are two different fixtures.

Treebeard
03-13-2009, 05:45 PM
If that's the case the Tek 8 bulb light is the way to go, especially at the sale price.

The nova extreme PRO does not have moonlights. And the Pro has somewhat individual reflectors, A single sheet of aluminium bent around each bulb. The nova extreme and nova extreme pro are two different fixtures.

Piscez
03-13-2009, 07:17 PM
I have the Nova Extreme pro 48" 6 bulb with individual reflectors and T5HO's, built in fans and legs , but I've ordered the hanging kit for it. It does not have LED's but I've solved that with a $10 LED blue that reflects from behind my overflow. I really like the light unit, there's even a fan mod to make it super silent. Any questions feel free to ask.

RCFA
03-18-2009, 04:20 PM
I have the Nova Extreme pro 48" 6 bulb with individual reflectors and T5HO's, built in fans and legs , but I've ordered the hanging kit for it. It does not have LED's but I've solved that with a $10 LED blue that reflects from behind my overflow. I really like the light unit, there's even a fan mod to make it super silent. Any questions feel free to ask.

Do you have a link to the silent fan mod or where you got the fans? are the fans just quieter or is ther a difference in the airflow/pressure drop?

Piscez
05-09-2009, 06:47 PM
Do you have a link to the silent fan mod or where you got the fans? are the fans just quieter or is ther a difference in the airflow/pressure drop?

Better late than never: http://www.bderen.com/DIY/

RCFA
05-11-2009, 01:50 PM
Wow thanks! I forgot about this thread and I found that link after all. Thanks for the response though!

Better late than never: http://www.bderen.com/DIY/