PDA

View Full Version : Catching a hitchhiker crab?

365seasons
03-11-2009, 10:27 PM
How do I go about catching a hitchhiker crab that i found inside my liverock??
Any tips or tricks?

Thanks in advance!

chandigz
03-12-2009, 02:33 AM
Take a tall glass or jar put a piece of shrimp in the bottom and lean it slightly against the rock. The crab should fall in and not be able to get out. It might take a couple of days but it usually works for me.

365seasons
03-12-2009, 02:35 AM
Take a tall glass or jar put a piece of shrimp in the bottom and lean it slightly against the rock. The crab should fall in and not be able to get out. It might take a couple of days but it usually works for me.

Thanks!!!

Like brine shrimp, or like a cocktail shrimp (sorry if that's a stupid question!)

Will definitely give it a try it though! Not harming anything in our tank yet, but better safe than sorry.

Thanks again!

chandigz
03-12-2009, 02:41 AM
I use coctail shrimp, krill, or a piece of silverside, something bigger that won't be stolen by the fish.. Make sure you change the bait daily if you don't catch it right away. You don't want it rotting and causing problems. Good luck

Marlin65
03-12-2009, 03:05 AM
I put some small rocks on my bait so it does not float out, First time I tried they made off with the bait. 2nd time I had three only thought I had one. crab. :lol:

Trigger Man
03-12-2009, 03:36 AM
I use coctail shrimp, krill, or a piece of silverside, something bigger that won't be stolen by the fish.. Make sure you change the bait daily if you don't catch it right away. You don't want it rotting and causing problems. Good luck

did you find the bait affected your water parameters?

chandigz
03-12-2009, 04:23 AM
I never had issues but the bait actually starts decaying right way so if you don't catch the crab for a few days it may be rotting and could affect water quality in a newer/smaller tank.

365seasons
03-13-2009, 12:03 AM
alright! got it all set up.
guess it's just the waiting game now.

any other tricks to it?

thanks again