PDA

View Full Version : Sargassum triggers

my2rotties
03-11-2009, 01:18 AM
I am not adding any more fish to my tank for the time being, but would like to add a Sargassum trigger in the future.

So... I am doing my homework in all the pros and cons of having one of these gorgeous fish. Are they hardy, do they eat well, do they play well with others? I did PM a member of canreef whom tried a couple but he had nothing but bad luck, which concerns me.

I have four tangs, a Picasso trigger, my porcupine puffer and a couple of clown fish, as well as a coral beauty and sand sifting goby. My research says they are reef safe but what is your experience with them? How about personality? Would one get along with my other fish?

Do they have any species specific diseases or immune system issues? Are they fish that are reputed to be cyanide caught or die of any unknown reasons? How large or small a specimen is best to bring home? How long should I have him paid for at the LFS before bringing him home? Any research I have done shows that they are hardy and easy to keep, however that may not be so.

Thanks in advance for the insight...

cav~firez22
03-11-2009, 02:15 AM
I have one in my Reef, and they are Very neat fish. mine was about 2 1/2" long when i got him, and eating right out of my hands. Definatly a great fish for the reef. the Sargassum & Blue throats are known to be reef safe. Havin a sargassum, i can vouch that they are safe. all my cleaner shrimp are still alive. :)

as long as your tanks parameters are good, and the fish is eating at the LFS, pick him as soon as you can :)

my2rotties
03-11-2009, 03:10 AM
Thanks for the reply. How long have you had your trigger and how big is he now?

I have one in my Reef, and they are Very neat fish. mine was about 2 1/2" long when i got him, and eating right out of my hands. Definatly a great fish for the reef. the Sargassum & Blue throats are known to be reef safe. Havin a sargassum, i can vouch that they are safe. all my cleaner shrimp are still alive. :)

as long as your tanks parameters are good, and the fish is eating at the LFS, pick him as soon as you can :)

Trigger Man
03-11-2009, 03:15 AM
I was looking into the Sargassum a bit back when I was thinking of putting either it or a Niger in my tank. From what I found out they are pretty hardy and eat well, as is the case with most triggers. From people I talked to that owned them none had major problems with them and the thier corals, other then the moving of some pieces here and there, but a little epoxy can take care of that issue.

my2rotties
03-11-2009, 03:29 AM
I have a seahare and he pretty much demolishes everything anyways... when I saw these fish in the store, I was blown away by how beautiful they are in the flesh. No pictures do it justice... I already emailed the store to see if I can pay for it and they can hold it for a few weeks... of course they will. If they are still available on Friday I will get one held for me. I just want to make sure nothing goes wrong.

I love triggers they are a blast.

I was looking into the Sargassum a bit back when I was thinking of putting either it or a Niger in my tank. From what I found out they are pretty hardy and eat well, as is the case with most triggers. From people I talked to that owned them none had major problems with them and the thier corals, other then the moving of some pieces here and there, but a little epoxy can take care of that issue.

cav~firez22
03-11-2009, 05:48 AM
Ive had my sarg for 8 months now. :)

fishytime
03-11-2009, 12:54 PM
Very good article in the current edition "Coral" magazine on triggers.

my2rotties
03-11-2009, 03:13 PM
:wink: I read it... three times. AWESOME magazine.

Very good article in the current edition "Coral" magazine on triggers.

dkcrx
03-11-2009, 04:25 PM
Awsome fish I have had a pair for about 4 months now, they were a bit timid at first, so had to target feed, but now they eat out of my hand. I got them small, aprox 2 inches and tey have grown a bit. I have them inwith 11 diferent tangs, purple fire fish, some small gobies and cleaner shrimp + all the coral I can stuff into a 300gal tank and they don't bother anything.

my2rotties
03-11-2009, 05:08 PM
What did you target feed? Anything in particular that they like? The ones available at this time are much larger then your little guys. Do you know how long they were at the store prior to your purchase? I am looking into one, but want to pay for him and leave him at the store for at least a month or so... I don't want to miss out on one of them since I have read that they bare not often available. I have never seen one in my year and a half in the hobby.

Are they very active swimmers in your experience? The articles and research I have done says different things, so to hear first hand from an actual owner is very helpful. Thanks in advance.

Awsome fish I have had a pair for about 4 months now, they were a bit timid at first, so had to target feed, but now they eat out of my hand. I got them small, aprox 2 inches and tey have grown a bit. I have them inwith 11 diferent tangs, purple fire fish, some small gobies and cleaner shrimp + all the coral I can stuff into a 300gal tank and they don't bother anything.

Jay180reef
03-11-2009, 06:43 PM
I've got a Red Tail sargassum and he eats everything, is very active, plays well with others, doesn't eat the CUC, and is smart enough to be trained.

However, ever other week he freaks out in the middle of the night racing back and forth, jumping out of the water, trying to get out of the tank. He has damaged himself and got himself stuck in places he would have died if I were not there.

Hopefully he's an isolated case, I hope he makes it...$200 is a lot for a fish.

my2rotties
03-12-2009, 12:51 AM
I hope he is okay. Is any other fish picking on him it sounds like he is trying to get away from something, but I don't know too much about this behavior to be honest. What does he live with, so I know what I need to watch?

WHat kind sof things can you teach him to do?

Yes, $200 is a lot of money for a fish, but we pay it because we love them.:wink:

I've got a Red Tail sargassum and he eats everything, is very active, plays well with others, doesn't eat the CUC, and is smart enough to be trained.

However, ever other week he freaks out in the middle of the night racing back and forth, jumping out of the water, trying to get out of the tank. He has damaged himself and got himself stuck in places he would have died if I were not there.

Hopefully he's an isolated case, I hope he makes it...$200 is a lot for a fish.

Trigger Man
03-12-2009, 03:13 AM
Most of the lfs will just hold the fish for you if you ask without paying until you pick it up (once you are a regular customer of theirs). I always put a fish on hold when I see something I like and that gives the fish some time to adapt from travelling, as well as to see if it will survive. You can even call the store and they will put it on hold for you (I'm pretty sure I know what store you saw them at). That way you don't have to worry about someone else buying it before you have fully decided.

Jay180reef
03-12-2009, 03:07 PM
He's very healthy, plump, and shows no signs of abnormal behavior during the day. He's the alpha fish, always getting to the food first but occasionally displays shy behavior. He'll stay in the rockwork for hours while the other fishes are out happily playing around. We had a mantis problem a few months ago, hitchhiked in with some new live rock, then killed most of the cuc, and terrorized the tank at night. TheCodfather is happily keeping the mantis now. Maybe the sargassum's having mantis nightmares and flashbacks.
As far as tricks, I haven't bothered teaching him anything but I'm sure he's trainable by the way he associated items with food. I've trained my dog that way.

I hope he is okay. Is any other fish picking on him it sounds like he is trying to get away from something, but I don't know too much about this behavior to be honest. What does he live with, so I know what I need to watch?

WHat kind sof things can you teach him to do?

Yes, $200 is a lot of money for a fish, but we pay it because we love them.:wink:

dkcrx
03-12-2009, 04:49 PM
What did you target feed? Anything in particular that they like? The ones available at this time are much larger then your little guys. Do you know how long they were at the store prior to your purchase? I am looking into one, but want to pay for him and leave him at the store for at least a month or so... I don't want to miss out on one of them since I have read that they bare not often available. I have never seen one in my year and a half in the hobby.

Are they very active swimmers in your experience? The articles and research I have done says different things, so to hear first hand from an actual owner is very helpful. Thanks in advance.

I used Tongs holding chunks of Shrimp, Scalop and large Krill just over the area of the tank thatthey felt safe in at first. they chomped off whatever they like then ziped back in the rock work, now they eat everything, and are trainable as mentioned, they know what the food container looks like. I saw them come out of th bag at my LFS and I took them home 4days later once they were eating. I prefer my water over that of any LFS.

Good luck, I hope you get him

my2rotties
03-15-2009, 12:32 AM
Well I bit the bullet and put a deposit on one of the Sargassum triggers today. I will be bringing him home in about three weeks. I am pretty excited about it.