PDA

View Full Version : Wet Skimmate

Newtoreef
03-10-2009, 07:48 AM
I cleaned my skimmer with vinegar and bleach a couple weeks ago and now I cannot get it to put out a dry skimmate. It's like the water has no surface tension. Bubbles just collapse right away. If I close the gate valve and raise the level it just starts to over flow like crazy and fills my collection cup. I did drop my salinity and temp to get ride of some flat worms, but I have since raised the salinity back up to 1.024 and still no luck. Any ideas?

goby1
03-10-2009, 02:27 PM
I once changed the sponges in my canister filter and my skimmer didn't produce any dry skim mate for months. Something to do with the oily residue on the new sponges, even though I had rinsed them well before inserting them. Eventually it worked itself out as yours probably will if you wait it out. Until then you'll have to do some extra water changes.

Newtoreef
03-10-2009, 03:41 PM
its driving me crazy I'm leaving for a 2 week vacation on thurs. lastnight I changed the pump thinking maybe it was spitting oil or something and it didn't help. (Mag drive lol) well anyway my collection cup over filled and soaked everything!

belzebuth
03-10-2009, 05:06 PM
I just took mine apart 10 days ago and cleaned it with vinegar....The smimmate was very clear for about 7 to 8 days but it is back to normal now.

Yours should be fine with time.

Newtoreef
03-11-2009, 02:38 AM
seems to have corrected its self somewhat.