PDA

View Full Version : lexan ?

jaydsl
03-10-2009, 05:33 AM
if i can get lexan cheep , can i build my sump with it ?

brizzo
03-10-2009, 06:01 AM
I would avoid it, it's a lot more flexible than acrylic. Extruded acrylic should be cheaper than lexan...

Pan
03-10-2009, 06:16 AM
Lexan is fine if sufficient thickness, it is stronger than acrylic...
Lexan is just GE's brand name for polycarbonate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polycarbonate)

brizzo
03-10-2009, 06:34 AM
Lexan is fine if sufficient thickness, it is stronger than acrylic...
Lexan is just GE's brand name for polycarbonate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polycarbonate)

Sorry when I said it is more flexible, I meant to say it's alot softer than acrylic. Tooling/routing/cutting lexan is very tough for someone who has never machined plastics...

Ever seen what happens to lexan if you try to router off too much? :razz:

byee
03-10-2009, 06:46 AM
try GE Plastics in Coquitlam. Not worth using polycarb for a sump because it will bow.

I have a CPR overflow and CPR refugium. Professionally manufactured and they're both bowed. Lucky for me, the CPR refugium is supported by a shelf. If not for the shelf, it would've broken for sure.

if you've never played with polycarb, you'll need to learn how to glue. you will also need a table saw with an 80 teeth carbide blade. glue costs 18$ per liter with a 90 day shelf life.

depending on the size of the you may need 3/8" thickness. 33 gal sump - approx 15 sq feet at 5$ per sq ft = 75$ + 18$ + 20$ (glue applicator) = 110$ for the sump. cheaper and safer to buy a used 33gal and have glass partitions added in.

hope it helps.

Pan
03-10-2009, 06:59 AM
Sorry when I said it is more flexible, I meant to say it's alot softer than acrylic. Tooling/routing/cutting lexan is very tough for someone who has never machined plastics...

Ever seen what happens to lexan if you try to router off too much? :razz:
yes...
&
I did know what you meant...:)

jaydsl
03-11-2009, 01:15 AM
i see the cost to just getting a old tank , and the lexan i can probably get it cheeper then plexi i will see maybe the guy i know can just get me some plexi realy cheep :)

thanks guys