PDA

View Full Version : Emerald Crab Chows Down

Beverly
06-11-2003, 01:29 AM
Bought an emerald crab last week, put it in the 42 gal hex. Hadn't seen it until tonight shortly after lights out. Man, it was chowing down something fierce on what I believe is bryopsis - green, short-growing wiry algae, and leaving the red wiry algae, that's intertwined with the bryopsis, completely alone.

I consider that pretty good news, but not as good as if it was going after the valonia that's scattered all over the place. Glad it's not going after any corals or anything, too.

Right now, I consider adding the emerald crab to be a partial success :smile:

kari
06-12-2003, 01:27 AM
Beverly;

I have two Emerald's. Surprisingly they have been around for over 6 months and still munching. Maybe we should introduce one of my crabs to your crab and make super crabs :cool: We would be rich.

Kari

Beverly
06-12-2003, 01:58 AM
I have two Emerald's. Surprisingly they have been around for over 6 months and still munching. Maybe we should introduce one of my crabs to your crab and make super crabs :cool: We would be rich.

What are your emeralds eating, Kari?

After seeing your post, I got the flashlight and found mine two fisted eating more bryopsis :cool: I hope it gets around to finding the valonia soon. I'm hoping the lfs will get more in so I can bring home another one or two of them. There's lots to eat in our 42 gal.

kari
06-15-2003, 04:43 PM
I have seen them eat valonia and just pick away at the rocks. I'll have to look closer. Unfortunately I don't spot them often.

Just spotted another crab, probably of the pain in the ass species. I was wondering why all my frags get knocked over and out pops a brown/red crab with a lot of fuzz on it. Similar looking claws to the emerald. I haven't put any new rock in the tank in years. Its amazing how they sneak in on a small piece of coral.