PDA

View Full Version : who many taxe and custom to pay from mail order in US?

stephane
02-27-2002, 02:26 PM
hellow i will like to orther somme fitting from the US does any one know how many taxe and custom in % I will have to pay ?

Doug
02-27-2002, 03:00 PM
Stephane, just double the book price. Thats about what it will cost in Canadian funds with taxes & shipping.

Seaquest
02-27-2002, 07:19 PM
Hi

You do have an exemption under $50, and if it comes in with a nafta letter its a free trade item as long as it was made in either countryand this will effect the %. It all depends on how you and your seller play the cards. if you need to know exactly call customs and ask them for the % that is if you can get any one on the phone.

SeaQuest

stephane
02-27-2002, 08:07 PM
so dougs if it is 150$ US it will be 300$ but Canadian or us

stephane
02-27-2002, 08:10 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Seaquest:
Hi

You do have an exemption under $50, and if it comes in with a nafta letter its a free trade item as long as it was made in either countryand this will effect the %. It all depends on how you and your seller play the cards. if you need to know exactly call customs and ask them for the % that is if you can get any one on the phone.

SeaQuest<hr></blockquote>

i have ask the store to tell that it is a sample
that way I have get oter stuff whitout any taxe but that store dont want to do that so i tink he is not going to sell notting to me

Seaquest
02-28-2002, 08:08 AM
Hi

I can understand the store, he has to protect his business and its completely up to him if he wants to reduce the price to help you out but keep in mind it can cause him plenty of trouble with future customs officers if he gets caught reduceing the terif price.

Doug
02-28-2002, 10:25 AM
Stephane; If its $150 US, it will be close to $300 Canadian, by the time you recieve it. That includes exchange, shipping, insurance, taxes, duty and box or handling fees, charged by shipping companys.

This use to be the cheapest way to go but now with excellent online companys like JL Aquatics, MOPS and Satlwater Connection, just to name a few, I find it cheaper to purchase their products and of course, support our own buisness.

If their is a particular product you need and its not listed, most of them will be happy to obtain it for you.

The only thing I purchase from the US now, is used equipment from other aquarists, and after the shipping disater with my ATS, that will be no more either.

Bryan
02-28-2002, 11:24 AM
Generally when ordering from the states, what kills you is not the duty and taxes but the shipping and brokerage fees. If you elect to ship by UPS you will get screwed out of $35.00 to clear a package versus $5.00 if shipped by USPS.

-=Bryan=-

Seaquest
02-28-2002, 11:47 AM
Hi

Yes! Brian is correct, UPS canada uses out side brockers to bring in the goods and we end up paying the extra money for there convenience. FedEx is much better than UPS atleast they don't destroy everything they ship do to over crowded shipping. All in all United stated parcel service and Canada post ground is the way to go. Did you hear the story of UPS trying to sue Canada post because there taking business away from them and charging to little for shipping.

stephane
03-26-2002, 03:29 AM
after this tread I have orter the ting from Califonia by usps as suggest by some aroud here
it will make tree week tomorow and I did not receive anyting yet

how many time it is suppose to take for getting
a pack from there any have experience whith it ?

Seaquest
03-26-2002, 10:23 AM
Hi

It all depends on what custom officials clasify the fitting under, if made in the US it should come in under free trade with no duty but our loving goverment will hit you with the GST+.Ft.. You will only get away from paying if the seller is willing to include a NAFTA with your order.

Hope this helps

Richard

AJ_77
03-26-2002, 12:35 PM
Stephane:
My lighting package took 10 days. I'll pick it up today and see how badly I got hit for duty, etc.
AJ