PDA

View Full Version : clown goby diet

justinl
03-09-2009, 09:01 PM
real quick question. Do clown gobies really need SPS in their diet? Or can they survive well on just NLS pellet and mysis?

Chaloupa
03-09-2009, 09:28 PM
This is just my experience...but my Mom has had her yellow clown goby for 2.5+ years and it eats only a mix of frozen foods with vitamins, and flakes..it doesn't touch pellets...and it is healthy and bright.

christyf5
03-09-2009, 10:24 PM
I was under the impression that they don't actually eat SPS, they just use them for shelter and hanging out. The only time they "eat" SPS is when they're clearing off a spot to lay eggs. :question::question:

Aquattro
03-09-2009, 10:30 PM
I have to stop judging threads by the title...was gonna say no, you can't live off a diet of clown gobies :)
But ya, as Christy mentioned, pretty sure they just clear tissue to lay their eggs, they don't eat the coral.

fishoholic
03-09-2009, 11:37 PM
I was under the impression that they don't actually eat SPS, they just use them for shelter and hanging out. The only time they "eat" SPS is when they're clearing off a spot to lay eggs. :question::question:

As far as I know Christy is right. I have a green clown goby and he eats small pellets and mysis. He also hangs/hides out in my yellow tree coral, since I can't grow sps worth a darn!

justinl
03-10-2009, 07:35 AM
lol brad, got sushi on the mind?

hmm, Im certain I had read that clown gobies live off of and live on SPS... I believe it was on wetweb. Ah well, its a non-issue as this tank won't have SPS. I just wanted to hear that they don't need SPS to live. I will try pellet, selcon soaked mysis, and cyclopeeze.

for the record, I went ahead and bought a green clown goby and a panda goby while i was at it :) cutest things ever!

Chaloupa
03-10-2009, 07:46 AM
LOVE the panda goby...however mine was never seen again....they are sooo small and secretive! Good luck with both! They sure have character.

Whatigot
03-10-2009, 02:07 PM
my clowns both eat sps polyps.
I actually acquired my second clown goby from therealbigal, due to him watching this same sps nipping habit.
I have watched them do it time and time again.
I have also seen my pair clear of a section of sps for hosting their eggs and this is a completely different thing.

I HATE my clown gobies for this sps eating reason.
I can't say for sure that they are ingesting the sps but for the first 5 months I had them, they would not eat anything else, not during feeding or at any other time that I could see other than when they were nipping at sps.

They have learned to eat mysis and brine through watching the other fish, but this is only over the last month or so and this has not altered their appetite for polyps.

My larger colonies don't seem to mind too much, but my frags hate it.

Here is a small excerpt from wet web media....
Gobiodon okinawae Eating SPS Polyps - 08/22/05
Hi,
<<Hello>>
Last week bought a okinawae to put in my 60 gallon aquarium.
<<Fascinating little fish...but can be devils...>>
In the first 2 days he would not eat any brine shrimp or Mysis and I thought he was just scared and in a few more days would start eating. In the third day I noticed him biting the Acroporas and eating all the frozen foods.
<<Have experienced this myself.>>
I know that each fish has his own personality, but I wonder if it will ever stop eating the polyps.
<<Likely not before the decline of the coral(s) due to the constant irritation/predation.>>
And what about the Acroporas? Any reason for me to be worried?
<<In my opinion, yes. These fish are found naturally in the wild among these corals, but this behavior in the confines of an aquarium can/usually is lethal for the coral. I would suggest you remove the fish if you wish to keep the Acroporas.>>
Thanks in advance
Luis Lopes
<<Regards, EricR>>

I suspect that there is a major difference in this habit between wild caught and tank raised...

macky
03-10-2009, 11:41 PM
I have a clown goby that eats mysis, and cyclopeeze. I have never seen him eat pellets and I have no SPS for him to dine on.

Skimmer Juice
03-11-2009, 01:32 AM
I have had 2 green clown gobys, for about 2 years now. dont have a single sps, he eats spectrum pellets , mysis, and cyclopseez (spelling is wrong im sure). They are very healthy and happy fish. Now if you were to get Panda Goby's they need sps to live.