PDA

View Full Version : Freak'n Scarry discovery

Jason McK
03-09-2009, 05:29 PM
Last night I found my euro brace had cracked. It happened right where the overflow wall touches the bracing. After further investigation it appears the overflow wall is pushing up on the euro bracing.

Now the acrylic that the wall is made of is 5/8ths is there a dremmel bit that will cut that? Any suggestions?

J

Delphinus
03-09-2009, 06:28 PM
Ai yi yi. Good luck.

Yeah, I'm thinking just a standard dremel cut off disk and a steady hand. Not sure if there's a good one specifically for acrylic. :neutral:

Marlin65
03-09-2009, 06:30 PM
That does not sound good. A dremmel will cut it, how much are you going to remove? Have a picture? I am pretty sure Acrylic expands a bit when it gets hot. It must of been put in to tight.

Jason McK
03-09-2009, 06:45 PM
I'll try and get a pic tonight.

I'll try the Dremmel hopefully it will work. Strange how it has happend almost 3 years after I set it up though

J

brizzo
03-09-2009, 08:13 PM
Pictures ? How are you planning to repair it? I've never had any luck with acrylic and dremels, trying a variety of different tools. If it starts melting, you get stuck in that one spot

Jason McK
03-09-2009, 08:18 PM
I'm not even sure a demmel will get in there. I may just use a hacksaw

J

fishoholic
03-09-2009, 08:35 PM
Yikes, good luck, I hope it works out for you.

cprowler
03-09-2009, 08:54 PM
Is it just the teeth that need to be trimmed on the front and/or back?

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g293/Jasonmck/Aquarium/370%20Tank%20build/DSCF0001-2Medium.jpg

If it's just a few teeth you may get through it with out melting too much, if you can get in there. Using a hacksaw blade might work the best, I have a bunch of new blades including some very fine toothed ones.

LMK if you want me to bring them over.

Jason McK
03-09-2009, 09:29 PM
Hey Cprowler thank for finding the pic. You can see where the brace goes over the teeth. It's gonna be though to get in there.

After thinking this through all day. I think it's always been like that. Last week I was hanging in the tank quite a bit and might have put a lot of pressure on the back brace. This could have cause it to crack.

I'll follow up in the morning with my progress

J

Jason McK
03-09-2009, 09:29 PM
Yes both front and back. The back is cracked but the front is flexed quite a bit.

J

FBNitro
03-10-2009, 07:43 PM
Maybe you could use a Dremel to get at it, might be easier to maneuver than a hacksaw.

Edit: Apparently I can't read, already been suggested, twice. <sigh>

Jason McK
03-10-2009, 07:49 PM
I may just leave it to see if it gets worse. That way I would know there is a problem instead of cutting the teeth only to mask the problem untill it's too late.

J