PDA

View Full Version : Removing Coralline

likwid
03-09-2009, 04:43 AM
The back wall of my tank is just covered in pink/purple coralline, and I am not a huge fan of how it looks. I have tried using a kent scraper, but it does not work well on the back of the tank. Are there any inverts or any other methods to get rid of it?

rocketlily
03-09-2009, 04:51 AM
I just purchased one of these "Kent Marine Pro Scraper L (Glass Only) - 35" Long". It has an aluminum blade and does an excellent job of removing the coraline from the back glass.

likwid
03-09-2009, 04:53 AM
I just purchased one of these "Kent Marine Pro Scraper L (Glass Only) - 35" Long". It has an aluminum blade and does an excellent job of removing the coraline from the back glass.

Yup, tried it. It works well on the glass, however, my tank is a JBJ NanoCube so the back wall is plastic. I have tried my hardest to scrape it off with the Kent Scraper, but it just doesnt work on that back wall.

fkshiu
03-09-2009, 04:54 AM
This thing is bar none the best purchase I have ever made for my reef (and that's saying something since I've got a lot of <ahem> German products) :

http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/cl-mrzebl/Easy+Blade+Scraper+Attachment+for+Cleaning+Magnets .html

Just slap it on the back over your magfloat and coraline disappears!

vazgor
03-09-2009, 05:06 AM
i just got a tuxedo urchin and he seams to luv the corline in my tank he leavs clear snail tracks were ever he goes threw the purple stuff:lol:

hillegom
03-09-2009, 05:08 AM
I have that, and can say it works excellent on my glass. From what I can remember, it is not recommended for acrylic

likwid
03-09-2009, 05:10 AM
This thing is bar none the best purchase I have ever made for my reef (and that's saying something since I've got a lot of <ahem> German products) :

http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/cl-mrzebl/Easy+Blade+Scraper+Attachment+for+Cleaning+Magnets .html

Just slap it on the back over your magfloat and coraline disappears!

Unfortunately it won't work for my acrylic tank :/ Might have to look into an urchin

mark
03-09-2009, 05:38 AM
when I had a problem with Lobophora tried both a Long Spine and Tuxedo urchins. Neither touched the algea but sure when for the coralline.

marie
03-09-2009, 06:03 AM
Don't count on an urchin to keep the back clean, they aren't very thorough :lol:

spreerider
03-09-2009, 07:38 AM
pan scrapers, they are made out of plastic with an edge on them if you google "teflon pan scrapers" they will come up. sold by kitchen shops,
they work great on algea and wont scratch a tank.

Leah
03-09-2009, 11:23 AM
Once you get a handle on the coraline I get this stuff from Lordco it is white and
comes in sheets that are about 8-10. when I do a water change I cut apiece off
and run it on the bottom of the tank, top and where ever I see yuck. I swear by it
I think if using it on acrylic I would test a small area first. Hope it works *