PDA

View Full Version : My Freshwater tank

Chad
06-10-2003, 04:15 AM
http://www.members.shaw.ca/cmcd/Freshwatertank.jpg

Don't see too many freshwater tanks up on here so I thought I would show mine.

Chad

trilinearmipmap
06-10-2003, 06:05 AM
Nice to see some fw planted stuff here.

What size of tank, what lighting, what substrate, CO2 or not?

If you want to trade plants go here (www.rupert.net/~mryeburn).

Chad
06-11-2003, 01:55 AM
Its only a 25gal, I use Flourite™ and regrettably some blue gravel that got mixed in but it all works well. Also have 55w and 25w 10000k light strip sitting on a glass lid. I use CO2 in the sense I mix it myself and inject it using my own DIY diffusion chamber. It works really well. I tend to trim back quite a bit every week.

Chad

smokinreefer
06-11-2003, 02:21 AM
lookin good.

i wish i has access to a digicam back when i had all my tanks running. just have my reef now.

hey, are those the real siamese algae eaters? a while back they were quite hard to find and pretty rare in the hobby.

Chad
06-11-2003, 02:33 AM
Yes, Those are the real deal and a HUGE YES to being hard to find. Even now I have not seen them all that often. They work wonders on that hard green algae.

Chad

StirCrazy
06-11-2003, 04:33 AM
they realy arn't that hard to find but you have to know what you are looking for and not take the store owners word.

I am amazed you have so many in there.. you must be gowing broke in algae waffers :mrgreen:

Steve

Chad
06-11-2003, 04:39 AM
Well at the time when I bought them they were impossible to find. Most places were selling the fake ones but I finally found a place in Kerisdale that imported them. He would sell out within the day. Now they mostly just eat the regular food I put in for the fish. They seem to like it as much as the hard green algae....

:biggrin:

Delphinus
06-11-2003, 02:56 PM
Ok, my curiousity is piqued. How can you tell the difference between a "real" Siamese algae eater and a ... um .. a "fake" Siamese algae eater (is the other kind called Chinese algae eaters?) Sorry I'm not really all that "up" on my freshwater knowledge..

Chad
06-11-2003, 03:20 PM
Ok, my curiousity is piqued. How can you tell the difference between a "real" Siamese algae eater and a ... um .. a "fake" Siamese algae eater (is the other kind called Chinese algae eaters?) Sorry I'm not really all that "up" on my freshwater knowledge..

Chinese algae eaters you never want to get. I have one and regret it. I had two actualy but I managed to give the other one away to a LFS. The reason being is they will attack other fish and sometimes will attach themselves to the fish and basicly suck on em. Not a good thing. You can tell a real Siamesis by the black line that runs down the side. If it goes all the way through the tail fin. Its good. and if its a golden colour.. its good. Otherwise its a fake.

:biggrin:

trilinearmipmap
06-11-2003, 08:30 PM
True SAE: the black line on it back will appear pixelated (jagged) like a sawtooth, the black line will extend back through the caudal fin.

False SAE: the black line will end before the caudal fin

Chinese algae eater: the line will not be jagged, it will be smooth. Avoid these at all costs.

Chad
06-11-2003, 09:08 PM
True SAE: the black line on it back will appear pixelated (jagged) like a sawtooth, the black line will extend back through the caudal fin.

False SAE: the black line will end before the caudal fin

Chinese algae eater: the line will not be jagged, it will be smooth. Avoid these at all costs.

yup, that too