PDA

View Full Version : R/O Water Test???

ocean diver
03-08-2009, 08:43 PM
I tested my R/O make up saltwater, used for water changes, today just was wondering and the test had some ammonia, how is this possible??

Aquattro
03-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Using a Hagen test kit?

ocean diver
03-08-2009, 09:15 PM
This is the test kit used.

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg50/gigprotector/DSCF3248.jpg

Aquattro
03-08-2009, 09:17 PM
No idea what that is, but I've had kits measure NH3 in RO, I know it was not accurate. As long as your carbon block is reasonably fresh in the RO unit, I'd suspect a faulty test kit.

ocean diver
03-08-2009, 09:21 PM
I think my RO unit is about 10 month old now, how often should I make changes to the different part of the RO unit?

Aquattro
03-08-2009, 09:52 PM
Ideally you should test your TDS every month, once you get above 1 or 2ppm output, I'd change membranes. Here in victoria, our water is really soft, so I can get away with a new membrane every 18 months. My carbon and prefilter get changed after my pressure through the unit drops 10psi. If you got your's used, or you're unsure, get a new carbon block and prefilter at the minimum.

ocean diver
03-08-2009, 10:21 PM
OK thanks, I bought it new about 10 months ago but will now do some checking, thanks

mark
03-08-2009, 10:31 PM
Got the below fr Aqua-safe in response to an e-mail I sent them

When to change the filters:
PRE FILTERS: We recommend changing the Pre filters every 6 or 12 months depending on use. If your average use is approx 2-3 gallons a day then you would change them every 12 months, if your average use is approx 5-6 gallons a day then you would change them every 6 months. or Adjust accordingly for a higher average use ie. for 300 gallons a month you would need to change the filters every 3 months.

POST FILTER: The Post Carbon Final filter for taste and odor only needs to be changed ever other time from the Pre filters.

DI FILTER (Maximus and Aquarium model only): If you have a DI filter (Refillable Clear Canister with DI Resin beads) you change it when the DI completely exhausts (changes color), how long it lasts varies from system to system depending on your use and TDS. If you have the older style white disposable DI filter you change it when the water starts tasting funny or the TDS goes up.
The 6oz DI canister lasts the average family approx 3-4 months.

RO MEMBRANE: The membrane generally lasts 2-5 years. We recommend manually flushing the membrane once a month along with changing the filters every 6-12 months to prolong the life of the membrane.

ocean diver
03-08-2009, 11:24 PM
Thank you Mark, I beleive that is the brand of RO unit I have.

midgetwaiter
03-09-2009, 03:50 AM
Does Saskatoon use choramine? If so that's where the ammonia is coming from. Your DI should get it but if you're seeing it in your product water I'd replace the DI cartridge.