PDA

View Full Version : dead cucumber

jaydsl
03-08-2009, 06:03 PM
hi bad news
had a cucumber get stuck in power head last night now all fish are dead

my ? is how do i fix this ?
do i have to start again or can i just do a water change ?

i do have a frogspawn and a toadstool , and some mushrooms
are they going to die aswell ?

i have crabs
03-08-2009, 06:09 PM
definatly do some waterchanges and make shure you have a bunch of carbon in the filter, other than that i dont really know if the cuke's toxins affect corals and other stuff,its a crappy deal but i would just keep running carbon and watch the corals for a while see how they do.

Trigger Man
03-08-2009, 06:39 PM
Ya you are going to have to get all the water out and do tonnes of waterchanges as well as use a tonne of carbon. I was talking to Golds aquariums about cucumbers and sea apples and they had mentioned that when a sea apple died in their tank even with completly changing the water a few times they still had problems for a while. I had a cucumber take out one of my tanks a while back and I cleaned out the tank completly and tossed out all the rocks just incase (problably over reacted). I have used the tank for qting a couple of times and all of the fish I put in it had no problems.
Good luck with the restocking.

jaydsl
03-08-2009, 06:48 PM
thanks already started

too bad the aptashia is still alive :P
it even took out some crabs and i see a wack of see lice or what ever you want to call them on the bottom some small worms too

thats one toxic cucumber
never knew it would be that bad

Leah
03-08-2009, 06:56 PM
Wow that is to bad, hope everything else is okay. Makes me remember why i don't have
one it is tempting when you see cute ones.

Tangman
03-08-2009, 08:33 PM
Good luck with the water change , sorry to hear about your fish, terrible loss

chandigz
03-08-2009, 10:01 PM
What type of cuccumber?

dsaundry
03-08-2009, 11:26 PM
If you keep a cucumber or Sea Hare, make sure you put sponge around the intakes....sorry about the loss...

jaydsl
03-09-2009, 12:13 AM
it was a black one don't know the exact name , and ya a sponge would have worked , :) but brain was not thinking that , now i know for next time , ounce sump is built there will be no power heads that can do damage in the tank

reeferious
03-09-2009, 01:28 AM
i had two red worm cucumbers up til 3 weeks ago, exotic looking things that stretch out to more than foot long and doing darn good job of mopping up craps. anyway took all precautions from letting them wandering into any power inlets, but the fact remains if anything happens to them your fish is going to suffer big time and so to trim my worry factor down i ended up giving them away to a friend who's into keeping oddities like these. now i sleep so much better knowing my tank's safe from nuking.

globaldesigns
03-09-2009, 03:26 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss.

Another reason I would never take a chance with them or anything that can take out a tank.

Douglas
03-09-2009, 02:19 PM
Sorry to hear about the loss. I have a cucumber in my tank, but it hasn't moved since i got him, and seems to be happy where he is. I didn't know they were so toxic. As long as nothing picks on him, and he stays put, thing should be fine.

jaydsl
03-10-2009, 04:02 AM
wow mine moved non stop , all over the glass and rocks , i thought he was cool thats why i got him , the family named him our big black turd , he seemed happy and had him in my 55g for about 4 months no probs but just as i moved every thing over to the 150g and he cad to find the one pump that was open :( if it wasn't for that i think every thing would have been fine from move , couple hours after move the fish found a hole to live and started to eat already , even some crabs and snails died , brittle star seems fine so far and toad stool , frog spawn aswell seem so far for now , well now i guess i can finish the stand and hood and lights , will be adding that stuff to tank journal , if my plan come true it will be cool , as i work in a finishing shop , polyester piano finish is in my head ,