PDA

View Full Version : Japanese style spotlights?

c me fish
03-07-2009, 02:51 AM
Hey does anyone know where to get jap style spotlights?
Any other suggestions other than the traditional rectangular fixtures and pendants?

Thanks!

noirsphynx
03-07-2009, 04:28 AM
Hey does anyone know where to get jap style spotlights?
Any other suggestions other than the traditional rectangular fixtures and pendants?

Thanks!

If you provide a pic of what you're looking for I could swing by an aquarium store here that might possibly have them.

sphelps
03-07-2009, 02:07 PM
Not exactly the cheapest thing out there but I think this is what you're looking for.
Japanese Spotlights (http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www18.ocn.ne.jp/~seaagora/page028.html&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=10&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3DMSC-150W/BLW%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DG)

c me fish
03-07-2009, 03:45 PM
Yes, thanks Sphelps, that's pretty much exactly what I was looking for... however, I would like to find something more local if possible, and cheaper as well...

57,120.00 JPY

=

747.649 CAD

That's each light, plus shipping, IF they'll even do it!

mseepman
03-07-2009, 07:28 PM
I read somewhere (not sure where but maybe on a recent TOTM at RC) that these lights have had some questionable safety records and have not been approved electrically in either Canada or the US yet.

Wish I could remember where but if I find it I will forward to you.

midgetwaiter
03-08-2009, 09:28 AM
Ice Cap was selling lights in that style a while back but they discontinued them. Best place to find similar things would be a place that sells stage lighting. It may be difficult to find one bluer than 6500k though.

Pan
03-08-2009, 09:38 AM
Ask invincible??? something on Reef Central...Isla Escondido he has them and quite a bit of info on them.

GreenSpottedPuffer
03-08-2009, 06:04 PM
I can get you them through my dad who lives in Singapore. He has them over his tank for the past four years no problems. Actually they are wicked.

He can get them from Japan as he goes there for business every month or from Hong Kong. They are EXPENSIVE though.

For example, for his 400G, he has 20 of them! You need so many to light to a tank properly since they only over about a 1' square area max. Even less really. Some of the knock off spots will cover more area but them you loose the effect and they are pointless. The idea is to illuminate each area of the tank strategically to bring out the best in each grouping of coral.

It may take a while though and I would say on average its going to be double to light a tank with spots compared to a high end regular MH pendant.

I have some coming for me in May to be supplemental lighting for my tank.

Pan
03-08-2009, 06:39 PM
I can get you them through my dad who lives in Singapore. He has them over his tank for the past four years no problems. Actually they are wicked.

He can get them from Japan as he goes there for business every month or from Hong Kong. They are EXPENSIVE though.

For example, for his 400G, he has 20 of them! You need so many to light to a tank properly since they only over about a 1' square area max. Even less really. Some of the knock off spots will cover more area but them you loose the effect and they are pointless. The idea is to illuminate each area of the tank strategically to bring out the best in each grouping of coral.

It may take a while though and I would say on average its going to be double to light a tank with spots compared to a high end regular MH pendant.

I have some coming for me in May to be supplemental lighting for my tank.
With the japanese the point doesn't seem to be to "light the tank" but enhance certain parts.
Most Japanese tanks i've seen have regular t5 or halides for main lighting and the spotlights are weird combinations or color and kelvin ratings.

GreenSpottedPuffer
03-08-2009, 06:44 PM
With the japanese the point doesn't seem to be to "light the tank" but enhance certain parts.
Most Japanese tanks i've seen have regular t5 or halides for main lighting and the spotlights are weird combinations or color and kelvin ratings.

Really? When I was over there last year, they were lighting the tank with them.

Many of the tanks in Singapore were also lighting the tank with them and no supplemental lighting.

Pan
03-08-2009, 07:43 PM
Really? When I was over there last year, they were lighting the tank with them.

Many of the tanks in Singapore were also lighting the tank with them and no supplemental lighting.
I have only seen six though :) and none in person. Just profiles on japanese sites.

GreenSpottedPuffer
03-08-2009, 07:51 PM
I have only seen six though :) and none in person. Just profiles on japanese sites.

Oh ok :)

Yeah I know from seeing quite a few in person (although mostly in LFS not homes) they were lighting most of them with all spots.

The idea of using them for supplemental lighting for your T5 or MH is what I am getting them for. I just have three on the way and a bunch of bulbs since you can't get the bulbs here...you don't even want to know what the bulbs cost though :(

One thing to note as well, is that the bulbs need to be changed about 6 months. They loose spectrum really fast.

I have two years worth of 50K bulbs coming and some red which I forget the numbers for.

I can tell you though that if my dad was not giving me most of them as an early birthday gift, I would not be paying for these!

i have crabs
03-08-2009, 09:33 PM
i think ill skip on the supercool 115,
looks like the lights in one of those crappy motion sensors in a nicer fixture and a super wicked asome top of the world japan super selling name
if these have anyplace in the hobby they will be for sale here one day and i can wait