PDA

View Full Version : Butterfly + Reef = :( ?

hummer
03-06-2009, 06:34 PM
My gf got me a Racoon and Threadfin butterfly. If I keep an ample supply of food in the tank (nori, brine shrimp, brocolli), will they leave my coral alone?

seanoman
03-06-2009, 07:45 PM
depends on the fish and the corals you house I would say. We have a raccoon and a pyramid butterfly in our tank and they have been great. Although any time we add a new coral to the tank the raccoon goes and checks it out. I looks like he is nipping at it but we have never seen any visible damage to the corals and everything has really good polyp extension.
Our tank is sps only though, I wouldn't trust a butterfly with zoas, softies or lps.

reefy
03-06-2009, 07:48 PM
I dont think its a good idea but you can always try just I did with angels

Drock169
03-07-2009, 07:39 AM
Pyramid are reef-safe, Copper band and long nose are mostly reef safe, pretty much avoid all other species they will eat some coral. There are a few more that are mostly reefsafe however they arent available that often.

hummer
03-07-2009, 05:36 PM
The Racoon hasn't nipped at any coral yet. But the threadfin loves my Kenya Trees. I'm going to try to leave nori in there all the time and hope that helps.

Zoaelite
03-07-2009, 06:48 PM
In situations like this it is 100% case specific. Some will nip at corals some will not, all depends on the luck of the draw.

Trigger Man
03-07-2009, 06:50 PM
The Racoon hasn't nipped at any coral yet. But the threadfin loves my Kenya Trees. I'm going to try to leave nori in there all the time and hope that helps.

One problem about leaving Nori in the tank all the time is that it will slowly wreak havoc to you water parameters.

marie
03-07-2009, 10:05 PM
One problem about leaving Nori in the tank all the time is that it will slowly wreak havoc to you water parameters.

I leave nori in my tank all the time.

But then again I haven't checked my water parameters (except for alk) in years so maybe havoc has already been wreaked :lol:

freddy
03-07-2009, 10:52 PM
I had a racoon once,got him from a freind(big mistake)ate all my mushrooms,and anything else he could get a hold of.