PDA

View Full Version : SPS Question

reefy
03-06-2009, 04:42 PM
I am wondering what is the different between culture SPS and nonculture/wild caught SPS?

Stones
03-06-2009, 04:48 PM
Typically, maricultured SPS are produced from frags originating from wild caught colonies and then grown out to a specific size in large frag racks located in the ocean. Maricultured SPS colonies very often do much better and adapt faster to life in the aquarium than do wild caught colonies. Maricultured SPS also significantly reduce the impact of harvesting corals from natural coral reefs so thats another benefit as well. Wild caught SPS colonies typically do not fare well in the aquarium and commonly suffer from RTN(rapid tissue necrosis) and STN(slow tissue necrosis).

digital-audiophile
03-06-2009, 04:49 PM
I would think the majority of what we see for sale are maricultured or aquacultured specimens.

Snappy
03-06-2009, 05:10 PM
digital-audiophileI would think the majority of what we see for sale are maricultured or aquacultured specimens.

Mostly true and I recommend for people to stick to non-wild corals when possible. However Australia for example, at least to my knowledge, does not have any "aquaculture/mariculture" exporters shipping to Canada so if it is tagged as Australian it is harvested wild directly from the reef which is in this day and age is unnecessary.

reefy
03-06-2009, 05:46 PM
I bought a large wild caught colony 9 months ago it seems healthy but I killed him by add too much ph buffer one day.