PDA

View Full Version : my 2 yr old ribbon eel died!

gixxer604
03-06-2009, 06:54 AM
i had my ribbon eel for the last 2 yr in a 70 gal tank. n recently i upgraded to a 220 gal. my new tank is now 2 months old, n i just added the eel in yesterday. This morning i've found him wraped up with my carpet anenome, i pulled him out, n notice his slim was falling off. The only new life i added to my aquarium is the carpet, can any one tell me what happend? all my other fishes n corals r doing great. is it that my tank isnt fully established or can it be the carpet?

GreenSpottedPuffer
03-06-2009, 07:20 AM
i had my ribbon eel for the last 2 yr in a 70 gal tank. n recently i upgraded to a 220 gal. my new tank is now 2 months old, n i just added the eel in yesterday. This morning i've found him wraped up with my carpet anenome, i pulled him out, n notice his slim was falling off. The only new life i added to my aquarium is the carpet, can any one tell me what happend? all my other fishes n corals r doing great. is it that my tank isnt fully established or can it be the carpet?

Very sorry to hear this.

Certainly could have been the carpet but also could be an unstable tank. Since your other fish are fine though, maybe the carpet :( I don't trust them at all. Especially with bottom dwellers like eels.

TheRealBigAL
03-06-2009, 08:18 AM
I would have to say it was a combination of unfamiliar rock work and the carpet anemone. Carpet anemones have a very powerful sting and will eat anything. I am sorry for your ribbon eel. But congrats on keeping one successfully for 2 years.

justinl
03-06-2009, 04:20 PM
was it the blue ribbon eel (genus Rhinomuraena) or the white/ghost ribbon eel (Pseudechidna)?

Lance
03-06-2009, 04:40 PM
Sorry to hear. That sucks!

Trigger Man
03-06-2009, 05:14 PM
Sorry to hear the bad news. I'm thinking the carpet anenome was the culprit

whatcaneyedo
03-06-2009, 10:40 PM
+1 more vote for the carpet anemone doing it.

gixxer604
03-09-2009, 06:56 AM
it was the black ribbon eel, i got him when he was a foot long. in the 2 years he grew to about 1.5 feet

was it the blue ribbon eel (genus Rhinomuraena) or the white/ghost ribbon eel (Pseudechidna)?