PDA

View Full Version : Magenta Dottyback ATE Cleaner Shrimp?

Pier Pressure
03-05-2009, 05:30 PM
Hi, guys. So I bought a couple of very small cleaners over the weekend. The bigger one is still in there but the smaller one seems to have disappeared during the first 24 hours.

My magenta dottyback appears to be suspiciously fat now. Has anyone ever had a magenta eat a cleaner?

fkshiu
03-05-2009, 05:35 PM
Dottybacks have been known to eat small shrimp so it's not surprising if he's the culprit.

digital-audiophile
03-05-2009, 05:45 PM
It's possible. Allthough in my experience I find that shrimp are very sensitive creatures to acclimate. When I do a long slow drip they seem to have a better chance of survival as opposed to when I did a quick acclimation and into the tank.

Pier Pressure
03-05-2009, 06:39 PM
Well both shrimp had the same acclimation and one is still alive and well so it could not be that. Not to mention the suspicious weight gain the dotty put on overnight. She darn near doubled in size! So I think we have a culprit - my shrimp-eating magenta dottyback. I think the other one is too big but I guess I will have to wait and see. Not much else I can do. That was an expensive little meal she had!

untamed
03-05-2009, 07:30 PM
IME, shrimp often get eaten when first added to the tank...frequently not completing the drop from surface to sand! However, if they survive that experience, they are often fine after that.

Your 2nd one may not get eaten now that it has settled in a bit.

Delphinus
03-05-2009, 07:54 PM
+1 on the slow acclimation. A 2 point difference in salinity (ie. 1.023 and 1.025) is enough to kill them instantly if not drip acclimated over at least a half hour. Shrimps with their thin exoskeletons are incredibly sensitive to osmotic pressures.

There is the possibility that the shrimp is hiding. I think they know they taste good. It's not unusual at all for them hide incredibly well at first. Of course, it's possible he was someone's lunch too. Hard to say. You never know he might show up in the coming weeks. Or ... not.

Pier Pressure
03-05-2009, 08:54 PM
I am pretty positive the dottyback ate it at this point. That would explain her weight gain. No way it was acclimation otherwise both would have died and not just one of them. They came out of the same tank at Golds and were acclimatized in the same bucket, then scooped up into the same net and released into the tank.

Snaz
03-05-2009, 09:28 PM
I have three Sexy shrimps with my Orchid Dotty. One shrimp is really small too, a shrimpy shrimp. No issues. The shrimp were in the tank before the Dotty arrived for what it is worth.

Pier Pressure
03-05-2009, 09:43 PM
I cannot think of anything else that would have caused the dotty to gain that much weight overnight and she looks guilty, too! In my case the dotty was there first and then I tossed in a couple of baby cleaners. She must have thought they were not-so-frozen food.

simba
03-05-2009, 09:45 PM
on a related note.... one of my emerald crabs was eating my former dottyback early one morning last week. Is it possible for a crab to catch a fish during the night or did it die and then get eaten?

fkshiu
03-05-2009, 09:46 PM
I have three Sexy shrimps with my Orchid Dotty. One shrimp is really small too, a shrimpy shrimp. No issues. The shrimp were in the tank before the Dotty arrived for what it is worth.

I find that having the potential food in the tank before introducing a potential predator can be important. It's almost as if the predator thinks the shrimp is part of the rockwork since "it was around when I got here" and ignores it.

Pier Pressure
03-06-2009, 12:55 AM
Hard call on the dottyback/crab thing but I had an emerald one time that was catching all the other crabs in the tank and eating them. He ended up going back to the pet store.

The second cleaner shrimp is still around but has moved from a cave at the front to a hidden cave in the rock work at the back. It did not come out at feeding time. The dottyback did come out but did not seem too interested in eating!