PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice/opinions

Ian
03-03-2009, 04:33 AM
Looks Like I am going to make the jump to a larger mixed reef.. Should be 90 gallons plus sump/refugium of 45 ish gallons.
What I am looking for is info on lights- I want to go with T5's and would like to be able to get into SPS what how many watts do I need and what combinations of bulb work well for this?

Also what skimmers do you suggest for a system of this size....It will be a few months before this is up and running but I want to start picking up pieces now and I want to get a good start on high quality components to save $ down the road.

I will start a build thread soon

Any other bits of advice are welcome...I am still new to this and welcome the help

mark
03-03-2009, 04:59 AM
check out this month's Tank of the Month (http://canreef.com/ftotm/mar09/) for a T5's layout on a 110g.

Skimmer comparison chart here (http://www.aquariumcontrollers.com/aquarium-equipment-comparisons.php) for ideas

Leah
03-03-2009, 12:07 PM
Ah huh, the bug has bitten another one. Good luck!

digital-audiophile
03-03-2009, 02:30 PM
TEK T5's are great lights and a fair price, you can go more expensive but I still have nott seen any real PAR comparison tests to prove that they are worth the extra dough.

You really have the option of going with a 6 bulb or an 8 bulb light, allthough most people I know running 90's (including myself) use the 6 bulb. With the 8 the last two bulbs just end up spilling more light outside the tank rathen than in, especially if you are eurobraced.

As far as bulbs it comes down to personal preference in the colour spectrum you want. KZ bulbs are a very popular choice.

On My tank I am running:

ATI Blue
KZ Fiji Purple
KZ New Generation
KZ Fiji Purple
KZ New Generation
ATI Blue

With all bulbs on I have a clean white with a nice blue hue similar to what you would see in a quality 14K MH bulb.

Regardless of what some of the old metal hallide die hard users might say, T5's really are an equal to MH lighting. You will find a number of people here on canreef using T5's and having great success with SPS and other light demanding corals.

All you have to do is take a look at some of the killer european SPS tanks and you will see that especially the Germans have embraced T5's and are doing wonderful things with them.

Ian
03-05-2009, 03:25 AM
Thanks for the info and please feel free to keep sending me more I have a 1000 questions already and I'm sure more will come.

And yeah the bug has bitten hard...good thing I have a very understanding wife..our bank account is going to take a hit:biggrin:

Ian
03-16-2009, 03:19 AM
Ok I have been doing a load of reading and still am headed in the T5 DIRECTION I would like this build to be able to grow some SPS even if only in the top 12 or so inches of the aquarium... what kind of wattage do I need per gallon?

Trigger Man
03-16-2009, 06:22 AM
It no longer goes with wattage per gallon in deciding the light. You need to look at Par values. On your 90 g you can go with a 4 or 6 bulb unit and you will be able to grow any sps you want in almost any part of your tank. Digital Audiophile has given you a good bulb combo. My Tek combo is KZ new generation, KZ fiji Purple, Ati blue +, and now GE 6500 (was a Ati superbrite but just seeing if I find any difference between it and the GE). I used this combo for a while now, replacing the needed bulbs with the exact same new ones when needed. Recently I did add a hagen 2 bulb because my lights are currently closer to the front of the tank then the back, so the hagen is in the back and it has a KZ 10K, and the Glo 17.5K bulb.
I have a 5 foot long, 24 inch deep tank and am able to grow all SPS as well as having LPS along the sides. I place my birdsnest and Monties at or near the bottom, but I also have a Green stag a few inches from the bottom and everything is growing.

lorenz0
03-16-2009, 06:40 AM
I reccomend the TEK 6x54watt 48" T5HO as well. mine is great and my sps is doing good. When it comes to bulbs, really it comes down to something you will enjoy looking at. personally i reccomend:

KZ reef blue
KZ new generation (14,000k)
KZ Coral light (10,000k)
KZ Fiji purple
KZ new generation (14,000k)
KZ Fiji purple

Lots of color and not blinding to the eyes

as for a skimmer, i am running a deltec MC500 and i love it. pulls anything and everything you don't want out of your water

btw, welcome to the large tank crack house lol

Ian
03-21-2009, 02:34 AM
OK so I went with the TEK 48 inch 8by 54watt...only 40 dollars more to go from 6 to 8 so \i figured I may as well...... Now to explain to the wife this does not include bulbs v:fish:

I guess it is time to get building a stand and buying the plumbing.....hehehe
wait till she sees how much live rock is going to cost in a couple weeks

fishytime
03-22-2009, 03:40 AM
Hope you have a comfortable couch?:mrgreen:

Myka
03-22-2009, 04:01 AM
Good choice in lighting. I'm beginning to be more of a MH fan these days though. :lol:

For skimmer it really depends on your budget. If you're feeling rich a top of the skimmer would be the Bubble King 160 for about $950 (I might be inclined to go one size up and get the 180 for about $1050). Next in line would be a Deltec AP-600 for about $830. Some middle of the line skimmers would be EuroReef 135 for $450 or EuroReef 180 for about $530 (I think), Vertex IN-180 for $360 (don't let the cheaper price fool you, these are comparable to EuroReefs by most people's opinion). Some people really like Tunze skimmers, but I am not a fan except for the nano skimmer works really well on the Biocubes and RSMs.

Here's a EuroReef 135 for sale for a good price: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50397