PDA

View Full Version : WTB Overflow

alfredshouse
03-03-2009, 04:02 AM
Looking for an overflow for my tank, needs to be at least 600gph. If you have one that you want to sell please let me know. thanks

mark
03-03-2009, 05:05 AM
not to start a debate here but have you considered drilling your display?

Whatigot
03-03-2009, 03:09 PM
debate started...lol

I personally think drilling is overrated.
set up properly, an overflow is pretty bulletproof, very easy to clean and takes up very little real estate in your tank...

parkinsn
03-03-2009, 04:07 PM
I had a overflow box on my 90g (saline solutions 700gph). I found that when the water went over the box it would create air bubbles in the box as any overflow does with moving/droping water, which would go up the tube that goes over the top and get trapped at the top and slowly decrease the flow through the tube in turn raising the level in the tank and lowering my sump level. I would have to purge the air almost weekly with an air hose attached to a powerhead. Also i found it to be louder than my drilled tank. IMO drill your tank you will have less stress to worry about. But im not trying to get a debate going.

Whatigot
03-03-2009, 04:45 PM
if you had your flow higher, this would not be an issue.
A good overflow has to have the right amount of flow going to it.
I had the same issue as you when i was using my first overflow and man was it irritating until I made a simple adjustment before scrapping my tank for a drilled one.
I upgraded my pump, from 600gph to 1800gph (before any head loss) and that issue is a thing of the past.
It's been about 4 months and through a power out and me regularly turning off my return the siphon has not broken, needed to be restarted or had air bubbles accumulate AT ALL.

Your flow wasn't strong enough, on a PROPERLY SET UP overflow the air should never have a chance to accumulate in the tube, it should be sucked/pushed out by the flow. period.

and my overflow is as silent as can be, I use an hurricane systems quietflo overflow rated at 600gph, my return pump is by far louder, and it's a quiet one 6000 and not that loud to begin with.

dkcrx
03-03-2009, 06:23 PM
Drilled is the best!

Whatigot
03-03-2009, 06:24 PM
Drilled is the best!

nice one.
well thought out and offers the thread starter something to think about.

Treebeard
03-03-2009, 06:43 PM
I have a Lifereef overflow, and it has also been virtually trouble free, if properly maintained. The U tube must be kept clean to maintain peak return flows, and any small cracks will cause very decreased flows, as I found out the hard way.

Have you ever replaced the U tubes on your Hurricane? Lifereef charges $12.00 US for replacement tubes, and $24 shipping! I tried replacement tubes form MOPS but they are larger diameter and I could not keep the siphon going on them.

if you had your flow higher, this would not be an issue.
A good overflow has to have the right amount of flow going to it.
I had the same issue as you when i was using my first overflow and man was it irritating until I made a simple adjustment before scrapping my tank for a drilled one.
I upgraded my pump, from 600gph to 1800gph (before any head loss) and that issue is a thing of the past.
It's been about 4 months and through a power out and me regularly turning off my return the siphon has not broken, needed to be restarted or had air bubbles accumulate AT ALL.

Your flow wasn't strong enough, on a PROPERLY SET UP overflow the air should never have a chance to accumulate in the tube, it should be sucked/pushed out by the flow. period.

and my overflow is as silent as can be, I use an hurricane systems quietflo overflow rated at 600gph, my return pump is by far louder, and it's a quiet one 6000 and not that loud to begin with.

Whatigot
03-03-2009, 07:09 PM
mine are very standard and I have gotten replacements at Big Als of all places.

belzebuth
03-03-2009, 07:17 PM
My CPR overflow is working great. Never had any issue with it.

alfredshouse
03-03-2009, 09:59 PM
Bump

Whatigot
03-03-2009, 10:00 PM
alfred...
I have one kicking around that was custom made for my 95 eurobraced....
There is a big gap (almost 6") between the 2 baskets...

PM me if you're interested, I want to order a lifereef.