PDA

View Full Version : Really confusing test kit instructions...

Gordon H
03-03-2009, 03:59 AM
I just purchased a bunch of test kits from J&L. They recommended the Elos brand. I tried them on Saturday and was quite ****ed - each kit had conflicting instructions - within the kit itself!

For example, the paper instructions for the Phoshate test say to shake the solution for 5 minutes then place then place the vial on the colour chart to see the reading. The instructions on the colour chart itself, on the other hand, say to shake the solution for 2 minutes and then to place the vial 5 cm above the colour chart to see what the reading is.

On the paper instructions for the other test that I tried, the Nitrate test, it said to shake the solution for 5 minutes. On the colour chart itself, it said to shake the vial for 15 seconds then let it sit for 5 minutes.

Even if I find out which method is correct, it is going to be hard for me to have faith in a company that could put out multiple test kits with inconsistent instructions.

In addition, one of the glass vials was broken, and to top it all off, the saringe marked at 5 ml filled up more than the 5 ml line on the test vial.

Anyone else had good luck with these? Are there more consistent test kits out there? What do you recommend?

Cheers,
Gord.

pterfloth
03-03-2009, 04:06 AM
Wow, that is a lot of shaking! I have tried the Salifert tests and they appear to be good. The Hagen kits are simple, but not that accurate.

I use my own reagents, but that is because I am a chemist and can access what I need easily and I'm cheap. LOL

Tom R
03-03-2009, 04:40 AM
to top it all off, the syringe marked at 5 ml filled up more than the 5 ml line on the test vial.

My syringe filled the vial more than 5 ml as well. I have used other syringe's and they fill the vial to exactly 5 ml.

This hobby is difficult enough with out the confusion these test kits bring. I find the majority of test kits are very difficult to get a reliable reading. They leave far to much to your interpretation.

Tom R

Lance
03-03-2009, 04:43 AM
My syringe filled the vial more than 5 ml as well. I have used other syringe's and they fill the vial to exactly 5 ml.

This hobby is difficult enough with out the confusion these test kits bring. I find the majority of test kits are very difficult to get a reliable reading. They leave far to much to your interpretation.

Tom R

I agree.I have little faith in most of the test kits.

untamed
03-03-2009, 04:44 AM
...and of course the ELOS Alk kit where the instructions say each drop is 1dkh, when it is actually .5 dkh.

I don't understand why JL stopped selling Salifert and now only sells ELOS. So far, I'm not impressed with the ELOS and their ability to write decent instructions. OA sells the Salifert and they have my test-kit business now.

Johnny Reefer
03-03-2009, 04:56 AM
I don't understand why jl stopped selling salifert and now only sells elos. So far, i'm not impressed with the elos and their ability to write decent instructions. Oa sells the salifert and they have my test-kit business now.
+1