PDA

View Full Version : Vertex skimmer overflowing?

atc
03-03-2009, 12:50 AM
Anybody else have this problem? Every few days it overflows.

Madreefer
03-03-2009, 02:20 AM
Do you have an ATO? My BK did the same thing until I installed one. It may have to be kept in your sump at a certain water level.

atc
03-03-2009, 03:35 AM
yep, it has an auto top off.

rstar
03-03-2009, 04:19 AM
Mu Euroreef does the same thing, so im tagging along, its really frustrating...

fkshiu
03-03-2009, 04:30 AM
It's most likely oils in the tank such as when you feed mysis or have your hand in there. Are you adding garlic to the food?

I found that this problem can somewhat be alleviated with a gate valve mod.

atc
03-03-2009, 04:50 AM
nope, usually happens overnight

fiorano
03-04-2009, 12:46 AM
my euro reef always did this until i installed a baffle after it in my sump to keep the water level consistent.

Johnny Reefer
03-04-2009, 01:27 AM
... Every few days it overflows.
And then it stops overflowing on it's own?....or do you do something to rectify it? I'm thinking the airline is getting encrusted with salt?...or snails plugging it up?

atc
03-04-2009, 01:34 AM
no, I usually turn that adjuster pipe to open more to bring it down, but then i have to close it more again later to skim again otherwise it's just too low.

Johnny Reefer
03-04-2009, 04:00 AM
Tough one. Maybe it's something you're feeding or dosing? Although some foods make a skimmer drop, some will raise it. Like Silversides for instance, to a certain degree. Just throwing ideas out there.

Red Coral Aquariums
03-04-2009, 05:25 AM
How long has your vertex been up and running?
Could you do a PH reading first thing in the am. to see if there is an abnormal swing?
Do you shut off any flow pumps at night?
How long after your lights shut off does it start to overflow?

Kevin

atc
03-04-2009, 05:42 AM
It's been running for a couple weeks
Pumps are on 24/7
It happens overnigt so don't know when it happens exactly
I will try to run the skimmer with drier skimmate and see what happens

How long has your vertex been up and running?
Could you do a PH reading first thing in the am. to see if there is an abnormal swing?
Do you shut off any flow pumps at night?
How long after your lights shut off does it start to overflow?

Kevin

High tide
03-04-2009, 05:48 AM
Is the effluent opened all the way? If so, try raising the skimmer a little in the sump, the ATO level may be just a little too high.

Boomboy
03-04-2009, 12:48 PM
i have the same problem, it seems like the skimmer with create not alot of bubbles and then all of the sudden it will just kick in and work again and create lots of bubbles and then it over flows, my skimmer water level is always constant and it happens when im away from work. so no feeding is done. i had 5 days of great skimmate and just when i was going to empty it after work bam, all back into the tank :cry: this is the second time it happens to me, only had it for 2 weeks so maybe break in period. but i have no idea either. i have no idea what the reason for it is though. nothing changes in my tank from when it works and then it overflows.

fkshiu
03-04-2009, 03:42 PM
I'd take the pump apart and inspect everything including the volute. Apart from that it could be that changing barometric pressure at night is driving the water level in your sump UP which the ATO would be powerless to stop.